• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often are you putting yourself in new equipment and also fwiw even attire?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I didn't know whether this would belong in the hardgoods section but I was thinking this much more a general skiing question vs being any specific ski or boot question so I placed it here.

I understand that very many here on Pug are not the norm or average among the skiing masses. The community is in may ways unique vs the masses and so are many the thought processes., ideologies, and practices. Just go out and grab a bunch of random people at random at a given popular ski resort to ask most any question vs asking that same question here and very likely the average answer/s may be two different things. But there are fwiw people here from both groups as well as in betweeners. That said. the question I pose I feel may be a very interesting one.

many folks (especially here) in this somewhat unique community may be gear junkies. Maybe have multiple arsenal of equipment for different conditions and different types of skiing or simply just for sake of having them.

Some gear junkies simply change equipment like the wind and simply want the latest models of anything every couple seasons. Some see that as a necessity due to wear and tare. Some have access to such equipment much easily than others and also can afford to change like the wind. While many others not so much or very little if at all and or don't feel they need to do that.

So knowing this community sits on the side of being somewhat unique I still thought to ask anyone and evrryone. Just how often do you feel or have the need or simply the desire to change to new equipment?
How long is your equipment lasting which can be a time question in years or seasons but can also be considered a ski days question.

Whatever the case , how often (seasons or ski days amount) are you placing yourself in new equipment and is it mostly out of necessity due to ware and tare or is it technology, or is it out of simply desiring new stuff and being able to afford it? this can also be asked of ski attire since in many ways can also be considered necessary equipment. So I was curious about this all and wanted to here from all. No rights or wrongs here of course. But just thoughts shared on what you do and why if you want to share it.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Me, I typically buy new skis if I need something for a new application. Once I have them, and confirm I like them, I’ll ski them into the ground; I’ll them until there’s nothing left to tune or until they’re irreparably damaged.

For example, I started skiing powder regularly. I got a powder ski. Before I knew it would be a regular thing, I rented.

I replaced an all mountain ski after an edge cracked. But, now I have three all mountain skis, all three 80’s width, for different applications.

Attire. Worn til they wear out.

Why do you ask?

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Me, I typically buy new skis if I need something for a new application. Once I have them, and confirm I like them, I’ll ski them into the ground; I’ll them until there’s nothing left to tune or until they’re irreparably damaged.

For example, I started skiing powder regularly. I got a powder ski. Before I knew it would be a regular thing, I rented.

I replaced an all mountain ski after an edge cracked. But, now I have three all mountain skis, all three 80’s width, for different applications.

Attire. Worn til they wear out.

Why do you ask?

Why I ask? Why not? Just curious what many you are doing in this regard and why or what the thought process is.
I thought it may be a good subject worthy of discussion and maybe others may find it interesting as well of how people in a more unique community do things vs the masses. Its not a personal intrusion I hope and if anyone feels it is they don't have to respond. Thats not the intent of why the question is asked.

Thanks for sharing what it is you do. I appreciate the participation.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
typed up a big reply, it got double posted somehow so I deleted it - and then totally gone. Trying again.

Only took up skiing seriously 7 years ago or so, got the bug pretty bad. Major stuff since then:

3rd pair of boots. Absolute necessity - got the 1st two pair wrong. 3rd time's the charm (live and learn, the hard way for me).
Just bought 3rd pair of skis, ever. Enforcer 88s to follow up E100s - 1st ski I bought Volkl RTM 81 - didn't ride them at all last season. Was on the E100s or demo/rental. Those are tech/because I could.
Apparel: Necessity, mostly. After base layers and socks, good gloves, helmet, and goggles with 3+ lenses, my 25+ year old LL Bean All Conditions Gore-tex (real heavy old stuff even with no insulation) gave up the ghost in Alta pow that 1st legit 'goin-out-west' season. Of course didn't help I was submerged half the time instead of floating along on top of it. Seams were shot. So I paid retail at the on mountain ski shop for a sweet Arc-teryx Gore-tex Pro jacket. Picked up the pants at an end of season sale. I'll wear those out too, I see no reason to upgrade.

One big enabler for me is my employer provides us a cash fitness benefit every year ($800) you can use on a surprisingly wide array of stuff. Skis, boots and lift tickets are all included.

This year is a 'big' year with boots and skis, I don't see doing that every year even with the benefit from work. Will use that for more bike stuff or lift tickets going forward.

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I demo'd a bunch of skis looking for a killer ski on NE groomers and busting through crud. Enter the MX88.
I wanted a bit softer ski for bumps, trees and light powder in northern NE and out west. Enter the FX94.
I wanted a wider ski for actual powder days 8" and up both here and out west. Enter the BMX105.

I've considered getting a short slalom ski in a +/- 70mm waist but I don't feel it necessary so I haven't picked it up. Now that I've covered what I perceive to be my needs I don't feel the compulsion to pick up any more so I've slowed my purchases down. Of course I love getting new gear and am still looking at a replacement for the FX94 but I won't be quick to pull the trigger because I don't need one right now.

Attire? When it wears out or doesn't fit anymore. My weight goes up and down, unfortunately.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This thread reminded me I need new pants.

I usually buy stuff out of necessity. I have a pair of Burton (pre AK) pants that have massive holes in the cuffs, and are not even remotely waterproof. Why do I keep them? They fit perfectly and I love the color. Patagooch finally has the same color so I will likely retire them this year. Now if only theyd make a plaid jacket...

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't buy unless I need to:
Skis: Bases/edges too worn out or damaged to tune or repair
Boots: Falling apart or soles worn and I can't get toe/heel pieces
Parkas: Usually the zipper goes
Etc.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Pretty much as I said in the other thread, I keep it until it's not doing what it needs to do:
  • Skis are retired when no amount of tuning is improving their edge, usually north of 200 days.
  • Boots, when they are so packed out that extra insoles are not working. I buy them really tight, so I get well above 400 days on the original liners. The first season is spent getting them to be bearable.
  • Clothes, when they are worn through due to rubbing or too small or torn or leaking, or when they are not performing in some other way. Just replaced a jacket when the spiral type "waterproof" zipper decided to disintegrate. Won't buy that type again. It ain't waterproof if it's a long loose string.
  • Helmet, when I think that it's had enough hits and time to be just an illusion that my head is protected. Last one had faint hairline cracks in the gloss, I knew it had taken two hard hits already with my head in it, and it was over a decade old. It's a good helmet but probably should have been replaced sooner. Of course, it did survive the hits... But I got a new one anyway.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I replace things when they are used up. I had a semi hiatus from skiing(only a couple of days a season at most) and when I decided to get back into it I had to replace most of my decades old gear because much of it was literally falling apart. Over the last two seasons I got new boots, skis, helmet, goggles, shell, socks and base layers. I might get new pants this season but my old gore tex Marmots are still waterproof so maybe not. I have a pair of old Goode carbon(?) poles that I'll probably keep forever because they're damn near indestructible.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Skis are usually on a 2 year cycle for the daily driver, I like having new skis. Cause shiny is good. The more specialized skis tend to stick around until a perceived significant improvement comes around.

Poles, been using the same pair of Goodes for 15 years, still going strong!

Boots as I mentioned in the other thread are replaced until I find ones that work, then I ski them till they fall apart.

Clothing.. I replace when something significantly better comes around or I wear out parts of it. Since I'm a Ski Patroller I tend to see higher wear on my pants and gloves especially. I tend to replace gloves every 2 years and the pants, it really depends on how they are built.

Helmets, every 3 years, I am a firm believer that helmets have a shelf life and I will replace a helmet about every 3 years to try and keep my protection levels the best they can be.

We here on this form do have a higher rate of gear turnover than what I think the "normal" skier does, it's part of the reason why I joined this forum after all!

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I am not a gear junkie and I use it until it doesn't work right or it breaks.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Man, you guys are all way better at this than me. I buy stuff on a whim too often.

This off-season, I've bought a new jacket (used) after having bought a new one for last season. I also bought another pair of skis I don't need, because I like them and want to compare against the other ones I have. And I bought two new pairs of gloves, because I'm still looking for one as good as my old FTP ones.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
My current skis/boots are 5 yrs old and I wont have a new pair anytime soon. That said the amount of skiing I get in is minimal at best vs what many you here do. So they may only have as much ware as only one or two of many your singles seasons. Blizzrd xpower810ti love the skis for my east coast hardpack and have no reason to change.

New jacket last year and new pants but the weight I put on Ill be wearing my old pants. lol

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Man, you guys are all way better at this than me. I buy stuff on a whim too often.

This off-season, I've bought a new jacket (used) after having bought a new one for last season. I also bought another pair of skis I don't need, because I like them and want to compare against the other ones I have. And I bought two new pairs of gloves, because I'm still looking for one as good as my old FTP ones.
Just cant control yourself huh? lol
I honestly thought we would find many folks here more quickly changing to new things. Especially with the amount of skiing some are doing.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
Just cant control yourself huh? lol
I honestly thought we would find many folks here more quickly changing to new things. Especially with the amount of skiing some are doing.
In my experience most people who ski a lot will buy high quality gear(at the best discount they can) and make it last as long as possible.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I replace gear when

- it’s worn out (touring pants, scratched goggle lenses)
- when it breaks (binding)
- when my skiing technique/skill changes (all mtn skis)
- when something is a stupid inexpensive and I’m curious (fat pow skis, and whatever else @Ron is selling)
- when I invent a new quiver spot (rock pow skis, rock touring skis....)
- when skiing objectives change (what is well suited to ripping inbounds isn’t suited for multi day touring trip, spending more time on groomers with family, etc)
- when something I’ve wanted for multiple years is available cheap (free ride systems jacket)
- when safety technology changes significantly (beacon, shovel)

Add all that up and it means there are plenty of opportunities for new gear.

Patrolling alone this year meant new (used) pants, new bindings (so I can sometimes work in AT boots), more gloves, black Costco soft shell, new helmet (required by policy to meet certain age).

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Well ..... not ALL of us ......:rolleyes:
I'm pretty stable on boots and clothing turn-over, although I do maintain a large inventory e.g. 3 pairs of boots. My logic there is that you should always have a backup (or 2) because things break/fail unpredictably. Skis on the other hand - when one is searching for the Holy Unicorn, that will magically transport me back to that wonderful time when reflexes were fast, connective tissue elastic but strong, and endurance was at a maximum, there's always hope! Oh, and testing new skis is one of my retirement "hobbies" so ....... doctor's orders?

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
Enter the gear junkie.....

New pants and jacket every year , regardless! gotta keep the look fresh ( I send my hand me downs to my brother and nephew) .

i swap skis OFTEN. most of the times i can find used bargains but i did buy a couple brand new sets this summer. (one used set as well!)
- my family benefits from hand me downs here too

about the only thing safe of not being replaced are my beloved Panda Poles!!!

Sponsor

Staff online