• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often are you putting yourself in new equipment and also fwiw even attire?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Why I ask? Why not? Just curious

Hey, why not. :)

my employer provides us a cash fitness benefit every year ($800) you can use on a surprisingly wide array of stuff. Skis, boots and lift tickets are all included.

Is that taxable income?

Helmets, every 3 years, I am a firm believer that helmets have a shelf life

Did not think of that. I owe myself 3 helmets.

There have been some significant advances in clothing technology in the last few years so I would recommend anyone who is rocking a 10-20 year old jacket to check out some of the new stuff

Recently, I borrowed my son's 3-layer goretex shell. Amazing. I will be in the market for a new shell, which brings me to,

free ride systems jacket

What is that?!

testing new skis is one of my retirement "hobbies"

Will you please do a side by side test of the Salomon MTN Explore 95 and Kastle TX98 in Sierra Cement?

Man, you guys are all way better at this than me. I buy stuff on a whim too often.

It depends on how close my wife is paying attention

I have a boot fetish, expensive habit

I currently have 5 pairs of boots that fit and are still in skiable shape
. If I see a smoking deal o

These four should do a gathering, or at least start a best places to shop thread.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Too bad they don't make matching ski pants.

Don't even get their owner started on that. There's good reason they don't make them. (Namely, pants have a much much higher rate of warranty work, and he simply can't compete with the big brands who can buy complete garments for $40 from Asia as replacements.)

It's a small operation. All designed,cut, sewed, taped, and prepped for delivery in Colorado. The majority of their work is for patrols/search and rescue operations/ABC News weather team/etc. If you ever get serious about buying from there, PM me and I can find you a discount.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Are you trying to be invisible?

One of the big upsides to a black dog.
30261683_10101500098472460_4200783752192555297_n.jpg

MT Skull

Look at me, I can ski with my feet together!
Skier
I try to get around 250 days from a pair of boots. I'll replace every 3-4 years, depending on how many days I think they have left/how good a deal I can get on last year's boot. ($490 for 2018 Krypton 130 ID)

I try to get 200 days out of a pair of skis. I'll replace every 2-3 years, depending on how much life/edge hold/base/edge they still have in tact/how good a deal I can get on last year's ski. ($290 for last year's Fatypus D'Root 182 FTW) I usually have a pair of mid 80's width park skis in the rotation for bumps and low tide, and a 100+ rocker ski for deep days. The D'root's (92 waist) are yet another attempt to create some overlap in my quiver.

I try to get a decade out of poles. I still have an odd Kerma Banshee carbon I bought back around 2001, and another I picked up in 2005. I used to go through a pair of Goode's just about every season, and then I stopped skiing over my poles. I picked up a pair of Scott Zeos this summer, just because they were under $50. (I may have a problem)

I buy new ski costumes every few years, usually flylow, always on closeout. (starting to pick up on a pattern here...) More for better features/more warmth than anything else. Roswell Jacket and Snowman pant this fall for under $250 combined.

New helmet every 3-4 years. Smith Vantage, sizing up this time due to MIPS making the medium too tight. Smith I/O on the same rotation, closeout or pro deal.

New look pivot 14's, every two to three pair of skis, last year's colors.

New Free the Powder Baldy mittens for cold-ass days. The last pair of FTP gloves made it 3 seasons, prolly 200 or so days.

I recycle the same bad jokes and crappy attitude every season!

Ken in LA

Pulling down the safety bar
Skier
Enter the gear junkie.....

New pants and jacket every year , regardless! gotta keep the look fresh ( I send my hand me downs to my brother and nephew) .

i swap skis OFTEN. most of the times i can find used bargains but i did buy a couple brand new sets this summer. (one used set as well!)
- my family benefits from hand me downs here too

about the only thing safe of not being replaced are my beloved Panda Poles!!!

A man after my own heart! Looking good & taking care of the children. That’s what it is all about boys !

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I dont have structured gear buying...

Some skis I have had a number of years like my E93s I have owned a pair of E93 for 4 years and only bought a new pair when the first pair delaminated after about 300 days of use.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I try to buy the right thing and then wear it out. I won't buy anything new this year unless something breaks.

I'm about the same, pretty frugal. When I find something that is a key item such as skis, boots, and jacket I usually go with it for 5 years or more. In recent years I've gone from mostly an eastern skier to mostly a western skier. I've also upped my ski days. Those factors have gotten me to purchase wider skis and more/different clothing.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I pretty much replace on condition, unless it isn't working out for me.

Shortest lifespan: Gloves. They pack out, wear out, chafe out, rip out. Several pairs are in rotation, but I'd say the lifespan for the mid season daily drivers is 2 seasons.
Longest lifespan: Long underwear. Hot Chilis last forever. As does my Capilene heavyweights.

Pants: They can die from cuff scuff, seam thread UV failure, zipper blow-out, or other causes. Avg lifetime 4 seasons.
Jackets: Usually UV fading and deterioration, or zipper failure. Sometimes abrasion fraying at cuffs or shoulders. Pockets can blow out. 6-8 seasons.
Boots: 2 seasons until pack-out on factory liners, another several years on aftermarket liners.
Skis: Wide range. I can upgrade and sell the old ones in one season after finding a sweet deal, or keep them for 8 seasons if they're in light rotation. Some are skied to destruction.
Poles: Skied to destruction or loss, which can be 1 month or 10 years, depending on my luck and karma.

(Moose season lasts about 70-100 days)

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I try to add a pair of skis and replace a pair of skis in the quiver each summer to appease my summer sale urges. Other gear I replace when it wears out. There have been some significant advances in clothing technology in the last few years so I would recommend anyone who is rocking a 10-20 year old jacket to check out some of the new stuff. They have scienced the sh*t out of skiing outerwear it seems and the comfort level for me at least has gone way up by upgrading my clothing.

I bought a new jacket, one with the new super great zipper that supposedly doesn't require a rain flap to be waterproof or wind proof. When swapping shoulders carryng my skis through the lot an edge nicked the uncovered new fangled zipper. By the end of the day the threads holding the zipper together had run about 6 inches and the zipper was wrecked. Apparently there's another reason for that flap of fabric good jackets used to have over the zippers..

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I bought a new jacket, one with the new super great zipper that supposedly doesn't require a rain flap to be waterproof or wind proof. When swapping shoulders carryng my skis through the lot an edge nicked the uncovered new fangled zipper. By the end of the day the threads holding the zipper together had run about 6 inches and the zipper was wrecked. Apparently there's another reason for that flap of fabric good jackets used to have over the zippers..
If it is from a reputable manufacturer I would contact them about repairing it. They might cover it under warranty.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
If it is from a reputable manufacturer I would contact them about repairing it. They might cover it under warranty.

It was from someone on eBay who bought it and sold it. Only paid about 60 bucks for it but it came with a $265 price tag on it. I threw it in the trash and went back to the other 8-9 ski jackets I have. Several are less than 5 years old.

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was from someone on eBay who bought it and sold it. Only paid about 60 bucks for it but it came with a $265 price tag on it. I threw it in the trash and went back to the other 8-9 ski jackets I have. Several are less than 5 years old.
That’s too bad. At least some of the better companies out there won’t even ask where you bought the piece that failed. It’s enough just to send it in.

Sethmasia

Putting on skis
Contributor
During my first decade on alpine skis I changed gear frequently, looking for stuff that worked. Eventually I settled on a boot that fit well (Raichle Flexon) and went through three sets of shells using the same foamed leather innerboot (try to find THAT today). For a variety of reasons, over a 25-year period I got to try hundreds of different skis and learned that what worked best for me were 200cm women's slalom skis for bumps and teaching (very round flex pattern, as opposed to stiff-tailed skis for men), and especially 205 GS skis (for powder and skiing with friends). Race stock when possible.

When Raichle quit making the Flexon I experimented with brands again and eventually settled on Lange 130 -- several different model names over the years. I typically get two seasons (80 days) from a set of outsoles, and five seasons from a shell -- I've cracked a couple and badly bent some buckles. My first set of Zipfit liners lasted 20 years and I expect that the new set is my last. Frankly the Zipfits are so good I could probably ski in any shell that's close to the right length. Meanwhile I get about 250 days on a pair of skis before there's not much tune left in the base (I grind once a year and polish the edges daily). I have trouble skiing on anything wider than 76mm -- above that everything feels like a gunboat.

Skiwear lasts a long time because about half my days are in uniform. I've had Gore-Tex shells since they were introduced around 1985. Eventually pants wear through or fray at the cuffs and grow so badly stained as to look disreputable. Skiing with a lot of ex-racers I learned early on that if you move well you can look good in ratty mismatched junk. I like fresh bright colors so I can be seen and avoided, or recognized at a distance by friends.

Goggles are a huge deal because I wear thick specs. I replace goggles often and get pro deals. Nowadays the ski school provides a free or cheap helmet every year but if I want something cooler than company issue, I can get a cheap pro deal.

Snuckerpooks

Getting on the lift
Skier
Skis: Every 2-3 years. I never buy the newest model. I always aim for the previous model NEW. One FIS SL and one FIS GS. The only exception is my powder ski which I don't care about and buy used. Thin cover? Powder ski. Dumping snow? Powder ski.

Wear: Depends. My last wear was only in my hands for 1 year. It was maker supplied by my ski suppliers. But I shoot for 3 years, I still look fresh and relevant but the cuts and lift oil stains start to be too much.

Boots: Until they are dead. Once I get fitted properly and find a set of boots I like... I don't let them go until the bitter end. At the pace and frequency I ski they only last 2 or 3 seasons before they start to crumble.

rickg

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am a gear junkie! As I maintain a small fleet of 4 pairs of skis, each with a purpose, I am able to keep them for several seasons, and then sell to help fund my new ski purchase. This year I replaced my vacation ski, Blizzard Bonafides with the new Nordica Enforcer 88's. Will probably replace my local all mountain ski, RTM 81 next season. As for my race skis, they are both about 3 seasons old and I will probably keep then till I no longer race as I am now getting up in age. As for boots, I hate buying boots so I wait till the current pair are packed in and my foot doesn't feel as secure.

As for skiwear, I buy when something I like is available for a great price. Sierra Trading Post is a favorite online resource. I have a couple of Goret Tex shells,1/2 dz pairs of ski pants new and old plus a variety of mid layers, sweaters, vests and insulating layers to choose from to stay stylish. A guy has to look good on the slopes and lodge!!

Rick G

Pequenita

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I aspire to ski my current skis, which have been through 9 and 6 seasons, into the ground. I'm regularly upgrading various components of the b/c kit, and I have a baselayer shopping addiction. My poles are 30 or so years old.

Sponsor

Staff online