• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often are you putting yourself in new equipment and also fwiw even attire?

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
There's a lot of gear involved in skiing. I live where winter is mild, so I don't really use anything from my ski clothes unless I am traveling. Last few years I have skied roughly 15 days per season. All done while traveling.

Pants, base layer bottom, base layer top, ski socks, mid layers (about only thing I use outside of skiing), shell jacket, balaclava, hestra gloves, helmet, goggles. Roughly 10 different items of soft goods. Generally I can get 5-10 seasons out of soft goods. This works out to replacing 1-3 'somethings' every year.

Ski boots are now 3 years old (first pair). Skis and poles are 2 seasons old (first pair). I expect probably 5-10 seasons out of these as well.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Never a status symbol materialist consumer, no plan ever on periodic gear replacement, inconsistent buys over decades, already ski at high level for fun so not interested in improving skill via gear purchases, not wealthy so frugal, keep gear until it is non-functional and like duct tape. Currently using 2011, 2012, 2014 skis, 2012 boots, 2015 parka, 2018 pants, 2012 poles, 2013 helmet, 2013 goggles. Skiing nearly 5 decades so also have pile of old gear I gradually junk. Clothing keeps me warm and looks ok so may last until skiing is no longer a choice with my aging body. Have been considering an all mountain 90mm-ish ski and bump ski edges are thinning but motivation to actually buy something is low.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a tall guy, I find it hard to get my sizes easily, so I tend to stick with what I have until it wears out. My Lange RS130 (2015) had to be custom ordered in 30.5, the only good fitting ski jacket I've found with excellent warmth and breathability is my red Obermeyer Charger in XLT. My Burton cargo pants are about 8 years old because the others I've tried and ordered didn't fit; I got a back-up pair of Burton cargos last year just in case. New helmet last year after 8 years in the old one, but I keep buying new goggles looking for that flat light unicorn. You get the idea.

As for skis, I've bought all mtn skis and kept them until my skills improve and justify an upgrade. My current Elan Amphibio 88 XTi look pretty beat on the outside from all my screw ups, but still perform just fine, at least I think so until I take them out first time this year. I keep demoing at free days so I'll be prepared to replace them, maybe next year. Or buy a softer more off-piste focused all mtn to add to the quiver. My specialty carving and powder skis are fairly new to new, so I think I'm set there for a long time. Goose, like you I really couldn't justify the new skis if I still skied the Poconos, but Killington has presented new options!

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
bamboo ski poles with extra long grips (great for traversing Alta), super light, super strong. they just closed their doors this summer. there are other manufacturers of them however.
The first time I had ever seen them was last Jan/Feb at Alta. I rode the lift with a guy with a pair on super wide(124?) skis even though the conditions were firm. We watched several good wrecks by people hucking it near the bottom of Collins. Was that you?:wave::roflmao:

Core2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I try to add a pair of skis and replace a pair of skis in the quiver each summer to appease my summer sale urges. Other gear I replace when it wears out. There have been some significant advances in clothing technology in the last few years so I would recommend anyone who is rocking a 10-20 year old jacket to check out some of the new stuff. They have scienced the sh*t out of skiing outerwear it seems and the comfort level for me at least has gone way up by upgrading my clothing.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
In my experience most people who ski a lot will buy high quality gear(at the best discount they can) and make it last as long as possible.
One would think so yes. This stuff is not cheap. And I do the same (for me and my type and amount of skiing and my budget) . But neither are a set of quality golf clubs cheap and yet very many avid players of the game will set up a new bag regularly and some even just every coulpe seasons. And or look for the latest model driver even every year or a new wedge. I can certainly picture that happening among some us skiers as well. Some people simply just like new even if for no real reason other than personal preference and hey as long as they got the cash flow to do it, more power to them. I mean someone has to support the industry right? lol

But some good posts here. And besids some people ski so much so often they have a need to replace much faster than others of us.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
But some good posts here. And besids some people ski so much so often they have a need to replace much faster than others of us.
That's why I always refer to days, not years or seasons, for hard goods. I don't want you to have to go looking up what that means by knowing my ski history. Soft goods it's all about did it hold up, which is really not that "ski days" determinable. I've found issues with how I carry boot bags and skis impacting my jacket wear. Mittens it's how much I sweat, how much they get wet, ski pole strap contact, how I dry them, am I wearing liners, all kinds of issues other than days.

I'm another looking-for-a-unicorn goggle buyer, tho.

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
200 days on boots, so every other season, new pair on order are K2 Recon 130 in a LV.

Ski’s every 2-3 seasons, edges don’t really get worn out here, but man the rocks can do a number. currently on 2017 Head iRally that is my primary ski, about 200 days so far. Have a pair of the last year (2018?) that K2 made the Pinnacle 105 that I use if it snows a foot or so or more and/or I want to go in search of powder in the trees, maybe 30 days or half days so far so they are still like new. Looking to expand to a quiver of 3, maybe a Kastle MX84 or Stöckli SR88.

My employer provides me a high quality helmet every other season whether I want it or not.

Patagonia Mountain Utility Pants, (these are just the best, 108 days last season and not a fray, still not fading despite frequent washings, thinking of picking up a second pair) Patagonia Parka when I’m not working.

Hestra Gloves and a pair of Hestra Mittens with liners when it’s really cold.

Oakley Prizm goggles with an extra flat light lens that I don’t need as the primary one is really good.

Over the years I have lost track of all the ski’s I’ve had, let alone clothing. Some things will get passed on to a needy soul, or used in trade so I don’t keep things around when I’m done with them, which in many cases is just a season or three.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
The first time I had ever seen them was last Jan/Feb at Alta. I rode the lift with a guy with a pair on super wide(124?) skis even though the conditions were firm. We watched several good wrecks by people hucking it near the bottom of Collins. Was that you?:wave::roflmao:

could of been . I have been known to ride fatties in less than optimal conditions! haha

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Two growing kids and two adults staying about the same size. Average around $500/year for all of us, $1,000 max.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually get about 10 years out of a piece of ski gear on average. My longest is my ski gloves, that I bought back in high school. Their age is measured in decades (about 4) and they have just begun wearing out recently. I typically have one pair of boots and get about 10 years out of them. The liners on my last pair of Langes (only boot I have ever owned) packed out after 5 years and I bought a new set of liners for under $200.

Skis are a different story. I skied a pair (my one and only) for about 20 years. They worked and never got soft, 205cm slalom race ski (Elan). Finally jumped into the current century around 2012 and I have been churning through about a dozen pairs to find my "ultimate quiver". My last name is Barraclough and my close ski buddies have coined the term "he/she has Barraclough-itis" when one of us buys a new pair of skis. (its not a fatal disease, but the bills can add up) I typically buy and sell used, but sometimes new. I have finally settled on my quiver (it only took 7 years) and I am probably good now for the next ten years of so. When you have a half dozen pair ski quiver, they don't wear out very fast. I do have a pair of race skis that get about 5X more usage than the others, so they won't go ten years. They are about 5 years old now and staring to break down. Once I find what I like, I keep it till its time to throw it away. It takes me a while to find it, though.

The mantra on this site is DEMO, DEMO, (have a drink) and DEMO some more, but if you need a 190cm ski length, its not easy to find them at a demo. I find "short ones" that I like and then look for a deal on the longest length. I buy them, ski them, and sell them if they will not go into the quiver. Often, they are very very good skis, just don't fit in the quiver the way I want (yes I am picky about my skis).

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
Skis--I used my original Head Supershapes until they were soft. First time I've done that. The replacement Head Supershape i.Rally (before this current version) transmitted an average amount of chatter to my bad knee, so they were replaced with Stöckli Laser AX which transmit much less...and ski better. I'll keep them until they're worn out. Other than that, maybe every five years the technology has advanced to the point where I have a hard time stopping myself from upgrading.

Boots--The Nordica Dobermans were a bit big even after fitting (great) ZipFit liners, and after 5 or 6 years I talked myself into better fitting boots. I'm starting year 6 in my carbon fiber Dodge boots--one liner replacement and they feel like new. When I asked a Nordica rep about the plastic in boots, he said that the plastic gets softer in minute amounts with every flex. Enough thousands of flexes and they have lost the flex rating the skier liked when they were new.

Clothing--One little mentioned attribute is wind resistance. A few years ago Haglöfs shell. It was amazingly warm, and just a shell. I learned about wind permeability. That parka shell was great for a few years until it started to let the wind through. Now it's a dog walking parka. Water resistance and wind resistance are important, but the wind permeability isn't usually shown on the spec sheets. When I start feeling the wind come through, it's time to change. I got a Trew Gear parka and pants which worked fine. Now I'm trying 686 brand Goretex. (My ski club got a lot of 686 40%-off discount cards. PM me if you want one.)

Helmet--the polystyrene foam liner is critical for the helmet to absorb impacts. If that starts to show deterioration the helmet is junk. The helmet needs to fit snugly for safety, and when it can't be fitted well, it's junk. (Wearing a helmet over a thick knit beanie is poor practice. If impacted the head will rapidly travel the distance of the thick knit then slam into the inside of the helmet. It doesn't seem like much but it's a hazard. The slam causes the brain to hit against the inside of the skull possibly causing a concussion or other brain injury.) Do try different brands of helmets. Heads have a variety of shapes as well as sizes. Find the helmet brand that best fits the shape of your head for safety as well as comfort. (Giro is a fine brand, and just wrong for the shape of my head, for example. Smith fits me well.)

Gloves--I've had poor results with even expensive gloves. As soon as the insulation is packed down they don't keep me warm. I used to have much sweatier hands than I do now, and glove life was worse then. (Odor-eliminating foot powder in the gloves helps kill the stink and makes them slide on & off more easily.) Free The Powder brand gloves are a great deal, especially the outlet site for discontinued styles or 2nds.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
I have gone through two stages of gear usage. When I worked in the ski shops I would replace my skis and bindings every other year and keep my boots about four or five years. Now that I am no longer in the business it is a different story, skis and bindings maybe 100 - 125 ski days. Clothing for some reason I find some good deals on jackets and have a lot. One about 20 year old, a few brand new. Pants maybe 5 pairs although 3 are my favorite. Gloves, I have a go to pair of Obermyer that may be 30 years old and keep a few pair for backup but only little use.

David

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Skier
I generally buy something every year. My daily drivers are 5 years old and I doubt I'll replace them any tome soon. I added a carving ski 3 years ago and I'll probably ski them until the bindings are too old for my shop to work on. This year I'm adding a wider soft snow ski for the first time and if I like them they'll be around as long as my carvers. Next year I'm buying boots that are stiffer than what I have just to have another option and my current are 6 years old. Clothing is only replaced when it falls apart or doesn't fit. I should be good with gloves for a decade or so. Goggles are retired when they fail or I have a vision change making it necessary.

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
For recreational skiing, my skis seem to last about 5 years or so, depending how heavy they get used. It is hard to get boots to fit my foot, so I tend to stay in them a long time once I get a pair that works well. Clothes last a long time unless damaged--I am still using a 1990's North Face Mountain Jacket....

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
Whatever the case , how often (seasons or ski days amount) are you placing yourself in new equipment and is it mostly out of necessity due to ware and tare or is it technology, or is it out of simply desiring new stuff and being able to afford it? this can also be asked of ski attire since in many ways can also be considered necessary equipment. So I was curious about this all and wanted to here from all. No rights or wrongs here of course. But just thoughts shared on what you do and why if you want to share it.

It depends on how close my wife is paying attention :D

I probably buy new gear for all of the reasons you mention. I do however make it a way of life to never pay full price. If I do, it is out of a strong necessity or it isn't an expensive item.

This year I bought a down jacket from Sync on a kickstarter and I'm looking at replacing a pair of Elan skis I have to a shorter size. I have a pair of the Prototype Wingman skis in 176 and I should be on the 160 or 166.

Boots I try to replace every two seasons but might make it to three.

Ken

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I currently have 5 pairs of boots that fit and are still in skiable shape. One is for regular skiing, one is for NASTAR, one is for retro gear, and two pairs are just stashed in the shed collecting dust. Oh and some Scarpa tele boots.
Triple that and that's my quiver of skis, none have core shots, all have plenty of edge and base left. If I see something that interests me AND is a REALLY GOOD DEAL, like less than $200 for brand new/almost new skis with bindings I'll bite, but only if I can easily decide what to get rid of to make room for the shinier new toy. Otherwise, I'm good. Same goes for a closet full of ski pants, jackets, gloves, etc. If I see a smoking deal on something really cool I've got to move something else out.... goodwill or retire it to the fence.. Ironically, Thrift stores have been the main source of the past 4-5 pairs of mint condition skis I've bought the past 3 years..

Sponsor