• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How often are you putting yourself in new equipment and also fwiw even attire?

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Eric, you I am sure are familiar with the purpose of the core? It is simply to bond the top and bottom structural members together, right? Not to provide stiffness itself. For instance, it was not too long ago that Atomic was using foam rather than wood in their SL skis.
Cores do a lot of work. Snow ski cores, even more. Core selection is integral to the ski design and can perform many functions. Advantages from a good wood core are many, including stiffness.

I personally build with foam. That's an engineering challenge. Note that carbon is rather weak in compression and clever tricks are needed for durability with carbon (or glass). Reinforcement with Boron fibers is my expensive fix. But there are many other ways.

I find that the proper foam core will outlast a wood core. Also, the performance is more consistent over time. But the failure can be a clean break. Loved my Atomic SLs - until they broke. Still loving my Goode Carbon 74s.

Eric

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a big guy it’s not easy to find shell pants and jackets I like so I try to get at least a few season out of them. I’m also a tough fit for boots so I ski them as long as possible once I get them right. Skis are my weakness. I try to keep a revolving 3 ski quiver buying a new pair every year. The exception is when a ski or 2 intrigues me and I want to try it or a great deal comes up on a ski I like. These exception seem to happen enough that they may not qualify as exception any more!

Sponsor