• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How much should I budget for a new helmet?

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
So, I finally threw away my old, old bike helmet and need to get a new one. I have only ever bought Bell-types in terms of budget and just picked the one that fit best (Big5, etc). If I go to my local bike shop, what would be a "reasonable" price point? Thanks!

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bought mine for about $80. It's just a basic road helmet, but it fits and is comfortable. My next road helmet will be in a high visibility color and will have MIPS. I yhink you can get a MIPS helmet for around $100 now.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
$100 is plenty.

Maybe scope out Black Friday sales?

But don't buy a helmet without sticking it on your head first, and bring your favorite riding glasses along to check for compatibility.

Buy BRIGHT. There is no downside!

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For motorcycles, the "rule of thumb" is :

A dollar for every year of age,
$100 for every dependent you have
And $500 for every time you have fallen or crashed.

They don't actually make helmets that expensive. I buy the best helmet that FITS! (Head shapes, like foot shapes differ. One Brand does NOT fit all.)

TS
socalgal

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I went to my LBS and tried a bunch on. I ended up with a Troy Lee Designs w/ MIPS-- it was the most comfortable and well fitting. Gulped at the register though. My helmet costs more than my bike:roflmao:
20181124_161156.jpg

Sponsor