• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How many millimeters can a toe be stretched?

El Guapo

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Howdy,
This is my first post here on the forum even though I have been lurking on the board for some time.
Thanks to this forum I got established with a great boot fitter, Matt Schilling at the Boot Room Park City.
He does a great job and I would highly recommend him to any skiers on the Wasatch Front or Back.
His shop is closed for the summer so I am taking this question to the board.

How many millimeters can a ski boot be stretched in the toe?

Specifically, I want to know about the Atomic Hawx Ultra XTD 130.
The shell is heat moldable, all grilamid.
Thanks

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Widthways, or lengthways? Lengthways would be highly dependent on your binding and the resulting interference with the toepiece

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
You should be able to get about 5mm, but also you need to stretch the liner. Stretching shells, especially these newer plastics like Grilamid requires the right tools, care and patience.

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Special care needs to be taken on boot soles that are curved to function with tech bindings. Heat and pressure can "flatten" the curve in the boot sole that helps it move smoothly through its range of rotation around the "pins" An adjustable board should be used to support the sole curve as heat and forward pressure is applied to make the stretch.