• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How many items are wrong in this ad?

How many items are wrong here?

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • >3

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
Two things wrong with that. One has to do with "US and Hawaii" and the other has to do with "Hurricane and Hawaii"
Yep. The proper headline would have been something like "Fed sends aid . . . " or "Washington sends aid . . . " Only a couple of my students could pick it out.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
"Hurricane and Hawaii"
The Hurricane/Typhoon distinction seems to be dying off, or at least shifting from by-ocean to by-hemisphere.
Even the local papers in Hawaii mostly say hurricane for storms that threaten or hit them now.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Hurricane/Typhoon distinction seems to be dying off, or at least shifting from by-ocean to by-hemisphere.
Even the local papers in Hawaii mostly say hurricane for storms that threaten or hit them now.

Meteorologists use the technical term “hurricane” in the Western Hemisphere; “typhoon” in the Eastern hemisphere.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Meteorologists use the technical term “hurricane” in the Western Hemisphere; “typhoon” in the Eastern hemisphere.
Has it always been that way? I really thought it was Atlantic vs Pacific when I was growing up.
And they certainly don't call them typhoons in Europe.
:huh:confused....

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Has it always been that way? I really thought it was Atlantic vs Pacific when I was growing up.
And they certainly don't call them typhoons in Europe.
:huh:confused....

Well, that was the standard terminology when I taught a meteorology course. Europe doesn’t really get hurricanes, and they are in the Western Hemisphere.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/cyclone.html

Hurricanes and typhoons are the same weather phenomenon: tropical cyclones. A tropical cyclone is a generic term used by meteorologists to describe a rotating, organized system of clouds and thunderstorms that originates over tropical or subtropical waters and has closed, low-level circulation.

The weakest tropical cyclones are called tropical depressions. If a depression intensifies such that its maximum sustained winds reach 39 miles per hour, the tropical cyclone becomes a tropical storm. Once a tropical cyclone reaches maximum sustained winds of 74 miles per hour or higher, it is then classified as a hurricane, typhoon, or tropical cyclone, depending upon where the storm originates in the world. In the North Atlantic, central North Pacific, and eastern North Pacific, the term hurricane is used. The same type of disturbance in the Northwest Pacific is called a typhoon. Meanwhile, in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean, the generic term tropical cyclone is used, regardless of the strength of the wind associated with the weather system.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
As a reminder to myself, I looked up where the Western Hemisphere starts and stops.
Europe is partly in the western hemisphere.
Why did they put the Prime Meridian there?
Did someone want it close to their office?
image.png View attachment 84472 image.png

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Something about Greenwich, England being the center of the world or maybe that where they hosted a conference there.

A conference then. Of course.

The conference was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Meridian_Conference

The conference wasn't held in Greenwich though; it was held in Washington DC. Britain at the time had the world's most powerful navy (and thus had a powerful incentive to calculate east/west distances before their ships ran aground). Greenwich was chosen as it is the home of the Royal Observatory.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
That's just the one that stuck - there were a bunch of earlier attempts from different meridians, not least from the French:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_meridian#French_cartography_and_the_figure_of_the_Earth

And then, of course, there is the most famous hemisphere split of all,

https://www.britannica.com/event/Treaty-of-Tordesillas

which is why Brazil went to Portugal with the rest of South America to Spain, which is why Spain got the Philippines where Portugal got Goa, Macao and a colony in Nagasaki harbour.

Last edited:

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oops! :doh:

Wait! No they aren't....
Paris/Coordinates
48.8566° N, 2.3522° E

well I stand corrected. That pesky Prime Meridian.
In my head I was thinking of Europe/Asia, not longitude, and talking off the top of my head. And the International Date Line is the other demarcation point.
Just to reassure you, I taught meteorology 25 years ago, and I do know long/lat.
Hurricanes in N. Hemisphere are anticyclones and are true cyclones in S. Hemisphere...probably why they are called such in Oz. I do remember some things. :rolleyes:
Just ignore my posts from now on as I’m clearly full of s—t in my older years. ogwink

Last edited:

Alba Adventures

Getting on the lift
Skier
Funny thread -and we did point that out to the organizers who we know personally. We did mention that isn't Pico in the photo, the issue is that they are trying to source a photo that they can use. I told them who to contact at Pico to do this and we have considered sending them a photo. The site is legit, we also know the guy that started it.

Some of the photos are canned images, and for the most part we agree, they aren't the best, however, they do work. Could they be better, absolutely.

Given that Pico is our home mountain, we take great pride in that place as does Brian who called that place home like forever.

Any questions, shoot us a message or feel free to reach Polly. Sorry for seeing this message so late in the discussion, otherwise we would have responded sooner. Polly is busting her ass to make this a great event for a great cause and doing it for the love of skiing. She is also new to skiing, a woman - which we can safely say are under-represented in this sport. Let's keep the stoke positive.

If you can make this event, that would be great.

Best,
Ray Alba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online