• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Poll How many items are wrong in this ad?

How many items are wrong here?

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • >3

Votes: 11 73.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The first thing that jumped out at me (other than the bizarre way the couple were holding the skis) were the Atomic Arcs at the bottom right. I get that retro is cool (and it is), but this is about an event (not a retro event) in 2020. So?????

As for the lake, definitely not Tahoe. I don't know Pico, so that didn't jump out at me.

skiki

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am curious what the white block is in between the front of the skis the woman is holding. Damping device? Bar of soap? Styrofoam packing?
Ok, for starters, I already bought my ticket. Sounds like a fun day and a good cause. And when bought my ticket, I was looking for the pertinent info on how to buy. I did not find the stock photos to be a distraction in any way. Considering that the organiser is just doing this for the sake of fun and fundraising, I think the site and the use of the stock photos is just fine.

Now for my analysis of the stock photo of the two adults. One of my skis that came with system bindings were shipped with little blocks of styrofoam about the thickness of the binding plate between tips and tails to protect the top sheets. I'd say the skis were being used for the photo shoot only, and they didn't want to mess with them too much so they could still return them when they were done with them. They slid one binding on, trying not to disturb any of the other packaging more than necessary. Kind of like leaving the tag on the party dress.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
The people organizing this event are trying to 1) raise money for a great cause and 2) get people together to ski. They are regular people giving their time to put a cool event together, not professional web designers. Kind of surprised to see other skiers finding the need to pick it apart.. build the stoke, not the hate. The site worked just fine to purchase my ticket, and I’m looking forward to the event!

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The people organizing this event are trying to 1) raise money for a great cause and 2) get people together to ski. They are regular people giving their time to put a cool event together, not professional web designers. Kind of surprised to see other skiers finding the need to pick it apart.. build the stoke, not the hate. The site worked just fine to purchase my ticket, and I’m looking forward to the event!

Nothing to do with hate. Just being careful. Think about all the email we get daily to verify our bank/paypal account.

I do realize that the organizer may not be web designers and the web designers may not be skiers. That is why there is "team work." Each authenticate the work of other.

MissySki

Rogue Assassin of Bad Puns.
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nothing to do with hate. Just being careful. Think about all the email we get daily to verify our bank/paypal account.

I do realize that the organizer may not be web designers and the web designers may not be skiers. That is why there is "team work." Each authenticate the work of other.

I’m not so sure.. Calling things a “hot mess”, critiquing wording and stock photo choices, and voting for how many things are incorrect seem kind of snarky to me. :huh: Perhaps I am reading into it since you can’t get tone through a forum, but I didn’t really get the vibe of people just genuinely trying to figure out if it was a legit event. Apologies if that is the case, it just doesn’t read that way to me.

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
I didn't read the thread as addressing the question of whether the event is legitimate, but I can see how people would wonder.

To me this thread falls in line with the other (dare I say) frivolous polls that have been created while we huddle in a virtual lodge waiting for lifts to start running.

I see it as a fun event for which they created a fun website and people here are having fun with that. I'm glad to see someone take a more light-hearted approach to skiing and hope the attention it gets here increases awareness and makes it more successful.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
To me this thread falls in line with the other (dare I say) frivolous polls that have been created while we huddle in a virtual lodge waiting for lifts to start running.

I see it as a fun event for which they created a fun website and people here are having fun with that. I'm glad to see someone take a more light-hearted approach to skiing and hope the attention it gets here increases awareness and makes it more successful.

Exactly. If the OP hadn't made a jokey-critical poll, the event wouldn't even have had had a third of the attention it got thus far.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly. If the OP hadn't made a jokey-critical poll, the event wouldn't even have had had a third of the attention it got thus far.

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. – Oscar Wilde

There is no such thing as bad publicity. – P.T. Barnum

Hmmm, perhaps a guerrilla marketing effort by @Brian Finch ?

I’m not so sure.. Calling things a “hot mess”, critiquing wording and stock photo choices, and voting for how many things are incorrect seem kind of snarky to me. :huh: Perhaps I am reading into it since you can’t get tone through a forum, but I didn’t really get the vibe of people just genuinely trying to figure out if it was a legit event. Apologies if that is the case, it just doesn’t read that way to me.

There is a lot of bad on the net. Someone just posted a PSA on a site selling new Arcteryx jackets for $60.

Here are couple screen shots of new ski jackets for sales on ebay. Real Spyder jackets? What do you think?

Screenshot (251).png Screenshot (252).png

Whoever put that web page up is just sloppy. I first clicked on the link to that page via another thread.
The page just didn't look right or real to me. To me, it is just another one trying to grab hold of my credit card. Probably from oversea. Didn't paid it any more mind. Moved on.
From a sales and marketing stand point. That is a massive failure.

Last edited:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about. – Oscar Wilde

There is a lot of bad on the net. Someone just posted a PSA on a site selling new Arcteryx jackets for $60.

Here are couple screen shots of new ski jackets for sales on ebay. Real Spyder jackets? What do you think?

View attachment 84297 View attachment 84298

Whoever put that web page up is just sloppy. I first clicked on the link to that page via another thread.
The page just didn't look right or real to me. To me, it is just another one trying to grab hold of my credit card. Probably from oversea. Didn't paid it any more mind. Moved on.
From a sales sand marketing stand point. That is a massive failure.

Its not JUST an internet thing. When I was in grad school I took this headline (from the Chicago Sun Times) to my class to see how many could identify what was wrong with it:

US Sends Aid to Hurricane-Torn Hawaii

Only a few got what was wrong with it. Hint: No, I was NOT in grad school before 1959 (for the record, it was 1993 or 1994).

TS
Brian Finch

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider

View attachment 84297 View attachment 84298

From a sales and marketing stand point. That is a massive failure.

Mission accomplished, you’re all talking up/sharing about a Vermont Adaptive event.

I’ll add that I’m a Pico Club member & was also more than a little disappointed in how our beautiful Eastern mountain was misrepresented as someplace as subpar as Tahoe.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Its not JUST an internet thing. When I was in grad school I took this headline (from the Chicago Sun Times) to my class to see how many could identify what was wrong with it:

US Sends Aid to Hurricane-Torn Hawaii

Only a few got what was wrong with it. Hint: No, I was NOT in grad school before 1959 (for the record, it was 1993 or 1994).

Two things wrong with that. One has to do with "US and Hawaii" and the other has to do with "Hurricane and Hawaii"

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I found the event on a Ski the East FB page
Why Nit pic?
Guess you all really need some vertical??? Hurry up Ullr!!

No it's not a scam, it is for a good cause.
Hat's off to Polly and her friends for putting this together-
I think it's cool they are getting people to car pool and just getting a bunch of like minded people together for a private ski day!

For the nit pickers: The site was made For FREE by her friends, I doubt they even thought about the fine nuances that Pugskier's sometimes like to debate ad nauseum

This should be a fun event,a private day at Pico ALL for a good cause.
I'll challenge all of you in this poll PLEASE Do your part buy a ticket $49!

Yes, even if you can't attend, you're helping VT Adaptive Ski & Sports
Please Buy a ticket! https://pico-takeover.ridj-it.com/?...JNm5iKgAYEJw4Y8Th8tuYYwoiiDRGYewU_34DLv5YuZ_E

Last edited:

newboots

Learning to carve!
Skier
You go girl, @ADKmel !

The folks who made the website are complete amateurs. More power to them! I was mildly irritated by the dumb skier photo, but having been introduced to the event on a forum where I know and largely trust the people there, I was not suspicious.

I love Vermont Adaptive Ski and Sports. I know someone whose grown child has been a recipient of their wonderful programs, both skiing and kayaking. This non-verbal, profoundly handicapped kid had the time of their life! I also know someone who has volunteered. A wonderful organization to support.

It is good feedback to the organizer, to change that photo. But please support the organization. Try a new ski area for just $50!

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
For the nit pickers: The site was made For FREE by her friends, I doubt they even thought about the fine nuances
The point has been well made by King Grump: when I see a poorly photoshopped picture on the website, I assume it’s a philsing site. I wouldn’t click on it, never mind giving my credit card number. I know I’m not the only one.

So this is a legitimate website that looks fake. How many potential customers had run away from that event because of that concern? They would never know.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I can't help Paranoia... I just hope you'll join in and support a good cause Now you know it's real.

PS your credit card # can be stolen without ever using it..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online