• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
While riding the lift today @SBrown, @SkiNurse and myself discussed what constitutes a powder day. We counted today's 6" of fresh (which was far short of the predicted 14").

What says the Pugski community?

Last edited:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That ... is not how I expected the post to go, based on the subject.

6" is probably enough, 8" better, 4" doesn't quite feel like a powder day. But is it really a powder day if it's heavy, wet snow? Does it need to be blower or "cold smoke" to be a powder day?

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
That ... is not how I expected the post to go, based on the subject.

6" is probably enough, 8" better, 4" doesn't quite feel like a powder day. But is it really a powder day if it's heavy, wet snow? Does it need to be blower or "cold smoke" to be a powder day?
Would you say that the East & West coast don't get powder days because they don't get the blower powder we do?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Would you say that the East & West coast don't get powder days because they don't get the blower powder we do?

I don't have enough experience skiing east (was a novice) or west (never been there) to say - but I was actually thinking of a comment from Penny over on Ski Divas to the effect that fresh snow is not the same as powder - and she skis all the way over there on the west.

I've been lucky enough to ski in a fair amount of fresh snow, and when I hear terms like "cold smoke" or "blower" - I mostly think, "I'm not sure I've ever experienced that." Maybe I'm taking the descriptions too literally.

Me, I generally call fresh snow "powder," and I'm happy to have it :)

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
@Monique I think that each geographical area has different powder. We aren't even lucky enough to have blower snow for each powder day. Like you, I consider almost any amount of fresh snow "powder". But then again at my size, I get more faceshots than my skiing buddies. :yahoo:

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well some folks claim 4" is 6". Others claim 6" is 8 or even 10. There's also the question as to how long it lasted.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If you can't see your skis?

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I thought it was "schwang," but I could be mistaken.

We don't get "powder" out this way much. It's not unheard of, of course — we had some nice days last season — but 10 inches of near-slop is perhaps more common.
I've heard people call 10 inches of slop "powder," but slop takes very different skills to ski.