• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have skied a reported 1" at Stowe that, because of the surface it fell on, and the wind blowing it into the trees felt much deeper and we were skiing mid calf deep snow with a smooth, soft bottom. I have skied 7" of light fluff on top of a hard frozen surface that felt like dust on crust and every turn was a hard, scraping thing that the fluff on top only served to hide and disguise.

I prefer about 1'- 2'. Much more than that starts to become hard to deal with, for me anyway...not necessarily to ski it, but, harder to get around when not moving down mountain.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that inch day was one of the best ever. If I assume it was the epic gathering day.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
It is not what shows on the snow stake, it's the grin factor.

"Love the one you're with"

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Any light fluffy snow that's enough to ride over any lumps, ridges or inconsistencies below is a great powder day. I don't need a snorkel or face shots, just want to feel like I'm surfing and not touching any old snow below.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
The title made me think I accidentally clicked on my email spam folder. :eek:

A couple inches blown into the mogul troughs is fun but 4 is the minimum I’d consider a “powder” day.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
If I'm not working and the mountain is open, I'm skiing so it's irrelevant.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
DodgeR_ch5b.jpg

In 2017, the recent big snow winter in the Sierra, our best cold low snow level snowstorms were in 4th week of the month. The above was after 54 inches over 48 hours. On the drive up as the storm was ending, there was snow all the way down to the east side of Sonora in our foothills at about 2k that means it was snowing while surface temps at 7k 8k 9k at resorts was in the teens resulting in a very light luscious swimming feeling moving with gravity through deep snow. The above is a steep drop into a ravine. Notice the snow loads on the fir branches.

DodgeR-au_ch8bw.jpg

Dave's happy rabbit style in 2 foot deep nearly as cold snow 3 days later. Relaxed bouncing long lines on pleasant rolling type of pitches with spaced woods is the most fun experiences I can have lived, beyond words. On other worlds with sentient athletic beings, myriad lights years away, aliens have to be skiing powder too. And knowing that makes me smile.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
How many inches do you consider it to be a good powder day?

8" and over... Here in Colorado. Enough to cover the surface under.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January