• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC How hardcore is Revelstoke really?

CG_Racing

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I'm starting to my trip for next year. My wife and I are in our late 30s. We only get to ski once per year now. We are pretty decent. We've both been skiing for more than 20 years on and off. I would say I'm a 7 with rust because of lack of hill-time with my wife being a 6. on a scale of 1 = newb to 10 = Ski Patrol. We are both, athletic and would be very good(8-9) skiers if we could only get more days on the hill. Really the limiting factors are lack of “ski conditioning”. We both do crossfit so we are more in shape than most, but still nowhere near “ski shape” since that’s very specific conditioning. Anyway, the totally extreme stuff(hucking cliffs, long boot packs, etc...) is out of the question. If I'm understanding what I've read and seen on the trail maps, Revvy is mostly tree/glade skiing. I love glades and bumps! My wife is a little bit more conservative shall we say. She can get down pretty much anything short of Corbet's, but it won't be pretty and will take a bit of time for her. I'm worried the terrain will just be too taxing for her and she'll get bored from having to stick to the same terrain she can ski over and over. No matter where I've been I've learned that we wind up sticking to smaller portions of mountains due to various factors like weather, snow-cover, staying away from ski-school hell and chopped up groomers, ability limits, etc... And because of those factors I'm worried I would get bored as well since a lot of the glades at Revvy seem pretty intense relegating me to the same areas over and over. Really how much of Revvy is pillows, cliffs, etc…

I pretty much stayed on Symphony, Harmony, and Lakeside Bowl at Whistler for 3 days straight last year because it was really the only place with good snow and not icey. I pretty much stayed on a really small patch(Moran woods and Apre Vous) at Jackson 2 years ago for most of the week because it was the only place with good tree skiing and bumps because the HoBacks weren't open when we went.
Is there enough level 6-7 skiing for 5 skiing days(with 1 rest day) at Revvy in Feb or should I extend the vacay by a day and split between Revvy(3days) and Fernie(3 days)?

Put another way: Is enough of the named trails and gladed terrain easy enough for level 6/7 skiers to last 5 days? Any comparison of terrain type and amount of it to Whistler, JH, Breck, or Winterpark would be welcome as those have been my most recent trips.

Thanks,
Craig

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you see my attempt to summarize for PugSkiers my impressions of Revy from a short visit two years ago?
https://www.pugski.com/threads/unofficial-guide-revelstoke-mountain-resort-bc.9562/

It skied smaller than its stats on that visit because of a rain event just beforehand. But still it's quite an interesting experience. I found usable terrain to be much less than Whistler and Breck, and somewhat less than JH and WP. I would say plan a split trip there and another nearby ski area. I haven't skied Fernie or Kicking Horse, but you pass close to KH when you travel from Calgary airport to Revy. You also pass Lake Louise and Sunshine, which I enjoyed.

If you hit Revy in top conditions and you had a guide I'm sure they could keep you happy for five days. I was wandering around with my son and unguided.

TS
CG_Racing

CG_Racing

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Did you see my attempt to summarize for PugSkiers my impressions of Revy from a short visit two years ago?
https://www.pugski.com/threads/unofficial-guide-revelstoke-mountain-resort-bc.9562/

Thanks! That was helpful.

If you hit Revy in top conditions they could keep you happy for five days.

Could probably say this about any mountain really. ;) JH would probably be my favorite of places I've been(various CO hills, JH, and Whistler) under awesome conditions. 30% of JH was closed when I went in Feb 2018. The following year I picked Whistler over JH and Vail. Both Vail and JH got buried during the same time frame while Whistler go 6". :doh:

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I think you should try Red/Whitewater first and then if you enjoyed that experience try Revy/Kicking Horse next time.

Fly into Spokane. stay on the lake in Nelson. Drive to Whitewater or Red, Do a day or 2 with Valhallah Powder Cats or Big Red, Don't miss Ainsworth.

The snow is more consistent in February, but I think you and your wife would enjoy March better.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
depending on where you ski ski Revy is no more hardcore than a lot of other places.
however if your not comfortable primarily skiing bowls,glades with untracked or cut up loose snow, there are better choices for you.
several are on route no matter which way your planning on getting to Revy.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have spent a week there, there was enough to keep it from getting dull. But you have to like trees, steep trees, tight trees. and more trees. There are no groomers per se. or they may have been groomed 3 days ago. My wife , who is an intermediate skier ,didn't care for it. She was limited in what she could ski, ( she won't admit it , but the week there sure upped her game). It is a relatively low elevation resort, so you have to stay high to keep above the drip line.

CraigH

Booting up
Skier
I have spent a week there, there was enough to keep it from getting dull. But you have to like trees, steep trees, tight trees. and more trees. There are no groomers per se. or they may have been groomed 3 days ago. My wife , who is an intermediate skier ,didn't care for it. She was limited in what she could ski, ( she won't admit it , but the week there sure upped her game). It is a relatively low elevation resort, so you have to stay high to keep above the drip line.

That was a super helpful response since your scenario seems to match mine pretty closely! We don't get to go skiing as much as I would like, so I have to make the ones we go to enjoyable for the both of us. I've decided to book a trip to someplace else. Thinking Alta/Snowbird or Whistler...again.

markjs

Skiing is believing
Skier
:thumb: on Ainsworth, beautiful place.

I think you should try Red/Whitewater first and then if you enjoyed that experience try Revy/Kicking Horse next time.

Fly into Spokane. stay on the lake in Nelson. Drive to Whitewater or Red, Do a day or 2 with Valhallah Powder Cats or Big Red, Don't miss Ainsworth.

The snow is more consistent in February, but I think you and your wife would enjoy March better.

Lofcaudio

Getting off the lift
Skier
Put another way: Is enough of the named trails and gladed terrain easy enough for level 6/7 skiers to last 5 days? Any comparison of terrain type and amount of it to Whistler, JH, Breck, or Winterpark would be welcome as those have been my most recent trips.

Thanks,
Craig

While I have never been to Revelstoke, I've skied the other places you mentioned and would certainly be able to offer you suggestions based upon what you liked at Whistler, JH, Breck, and WP. FWIW, I consider Whistler and JH to be Top 10 in NA, while Breck and WP don't even make the Top 20 of what I have skied as a tourist skier. I'm somewhat puzzled by someone from Atlanta wondering if Revelstoke is a good fit when there are so many better options that would be closer...