• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How Full is Your Closet? Jackets and Pants Overkill?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Three shells:
- FreeRide Systems Antero 2+ (Polartec Neoshell Hardshell): Main ski shell / touring shell.
- Flylow Higgins (Hybrid soft/hardshell): Backup/retired.
- GoLite Goretex Pro: Summer shell when I need rain protection. Lighter/more packable than Antero 2+, but in rough shape.

Pants:
- Just one set of Trew bibs that are currently awaiting warranty replacement. Hope that comes through in time for ski season.

Want:
- A lightweight hooded softshell for ski touring. Higgins is a softshell but weighs a lot in the pack and doesn't pack down.
- Softshell ski pants.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I only have 2 jackets in circulation currently but where I'm developing a problem is in the pants area (3 black pants for teaching of varying thickness (thin for spring, thicker for slightly colder and thick for very cold), a Volcom thin pair. Now I have an obnoxious Sunice orange pair with purple accents. I just bought a pink pair with suspenders. I can see where this is going. I have a plethora of gloves, 2 pairs of thin black ones for spring skiing, thin, thicker, really thick gloves for varying temperatures, mittens for really cold days, astis mittens for when it's really freakin cold out.

I read an article by Tom Brady from the Pats stating he's like a machine when it comes to weather and what to wear. Depending on whether it's in the teens, 20s, 30s, sun, no sun, wind, etc. Whatever the temperature with variable he knows what exact clothing to put on under his uniform so the he's always comfortable. I joke that I'm well on my way to becoming a dressing machine, no matter the temp I've got what to wear to make me comfortable. ha ha ha.

Last edited:

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
*2 jackets - One thicker firefly jacket, one lighter Marmot jacket
*1 shell for spring (actually this is my rain jacket) - TNF Venture
*3 midlayers - a mountain hardware fleece, a North Face thermoball for most days and a Patagonia nanopuff for cold days
*2 sets of merino wool base layers - one from Costco for most days and one icebreaker for cold Alberta days
*1 pair of fleece pants from Columbia on those cold days when a base layer is just not enough
*1 (yes, 1) pair of black bibs from sportive plus
*1 pair of roots 63 mitts with a removable thinsulate liner. I also have a pair of old MEC mitts I keep around as a back up- I wear these with thin merino glove liners.

I should also mention that, except for the bib pants, nothing else is exclusive to skiing. I wear most of these things throughout winter depending on temps.

I found that I am much more willing to drop money on mid layers and base layers – those icebreaker top and bottoms were not cheap! But I find that is what helps me most with warmth. My icebreaker base layer cost more than both of my jackets and shell put together.

I am thinking of getting a new jacket that is much more brightly coloured and printed for next year! My gray firefly jacket is over four years old, and is starting to grow a little ragged. Albertan winters do last from November to May, so I get pretty good wear out of all of my things.

TS
crgildart

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
OK I've expanded to multiple closets now.. EMPTY NEST! One for heavy jackets and retro light jackets.. and one for combo ski and everyday TNF type shells and a puffy mid for NC flatland weather variations.. 2nd one has the leather, starter/sports teams, and varsity type high school jackets, trench coats, leather duster, etc.. too.

1706890360893.png

1706890411835.png

1706890474551.png

Ski pants all over the place hahaha.. one pair on the way today as well

jyl

Getting on the lift
Skier
New Helly Hansen insulated jacket - gets worn most of the time
Old Marmot Goretex shell, not ski-specific - for wet days (the HH gets soggy at the hems) or layered up for really cold days
Old Roffee stretch pants - get worn most of the time
Old Marmot insulated bib pants - for really cold days
Old Marmot gauntlet gloves w/ LEKI harnesses - for wet or really cold days
LEKI gloves - get worn most of the time
Salomon Driver visor helmet - when weather permits I leave the visor up and wear sunglasses

I could go nuts collecting vintage skiwear but have restrained myself - did just pick up an '80s Roffee puffy for spring skiing and general man-about-town duty

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Per the Mrs., "Way too full".
I have a weakness for ski jackets and a hard time parting with old ski clothes.
Bragging but did give away my real vintage stuff from the 70's. Except for a pair of full zip insulated bibs. The old coats stretch pants and sweaters have left the building.
Do have a closet and half of mostly parkas and shells though.
Some day I will die and it won't be my problem anymore.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Two pairs of Stio pants, one black (work), one kelly green (fun).
One Stio fleece midlayer
One Arctyrx lt down puffy
One Arctyrx shell
One Head heavy primaloft puffy

One HH shell (work)
One Mammut shell (work)
One NF shell (work)

3 Pendleton board wool flannels

Base layers:
One very old Patagonia Salopette
3-4 Smartwool tops and bottoms

Everything gets worn except my poor old personal Arcteryx shell because I'm almost always working for someone when on snow.