• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Shawn

Beep beep
Skier
For me, I’d say maybe 3.5 to 4 hrs— SF Bay Area distances. It has to be within a reasonable driving distance for a day trip.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Too far for me. I'm :15 from a hill and 1:20 from a better hill. Big ones a bit further.

I don't think I could live without the :15 one. Driving 1:20 back and forth on weekends is enough for me.

I'd say :30 or so would be tops.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Question....are you thinking of one way drive time for a DAY trip, or for a weekend?

In my experience, it depends on the typical traffic, the car, whether you are alone, with your spouse, friend{s}, kids, and their ages. It all depends.

We have spent the last 40 years driving 225 miles one way, every winter weekend. Basically a very easy 4 hours, and 3.5 pushing it {it's not all highway, at either end}. It's not worth the wear and tear, to me, to push. Two different ski locations, very similar drives.

Of course, when I would complain, and discuss with my dad, who drove us a family to Stowe to our house every weekend {form North of Boston} from the late 40's through the 70's, he would remind me that when he was in Boston in graduate school after WWII, he and a couple of friends would often drive to Stowe for the day. Before 93, before 89. Six to eight hours one way. The greatest ski generation. No wonder they bought a ski home as soon as they could.

I don't do many day trips, these days. I can do one midweek of about two hours. Toast if it's much longer. When the kids were young, like under 12, they skied midweek about 45 minutes from home. Very nice drive, easy.

Also been spoiled by decades of ski from the house down, ski right home......ski home for the bathroom, for food, to change skis, etc.

When we travel, we throw those comforts out the window........obviously.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
As someone who day trips everyday my 35 minutes drive is kind of long, but I cant afford to live closer with out renting.

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I wish I lived closer but I'm 3 hours from decent skiing(day at Hunter) and 5+ from good skiing(weekend at Killington and /or Sugarbush). I also drive a gas pig so a cheap flight to ski in far better places is a similar cost to driving.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm ~1.5 hours from the nearest places now, and I don't think I'd like to be much further. Maybe out to 2 hours, making for reasonable day trips.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Work home = 30min from 2 decent resorts, 60 min from 6 decent resorts. Weekend condo 1 = 150 feet from trail, Weekend Condo 2 = 10 min bus ride to decent resort.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That depends on weather or not I have a sled/snowcat/van with mattracks.
But for my current situation, 30 minutes tops.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
At about 45 minutes now. That gives me 2 mountains in that range and about a dozen golf courses.

sortsol

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Some of you guys are making me feel a little bit better about my situation. I'm 25 minutes from a smaller resort (Sundance). I actually bought passes this year to Snowbird (45 minutes away) this year because we were wanting a change. Been 3 times already this year. It's been great!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
For me, I’d say maybe 3.5 to 4 hrs— SF Bay Area distances. It has to be within a reasonable driving distance for a day trip.

That is way too far for me. Im about 90 min from several major Ski Areas. I would love to be 30-60 min from them. But 90 min is not bad.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm an hour and 40 minutes from the nearest one, but the ones I ski are 2-2:20 away, if driving conditions are good. If I moved for the purpose of being closer to skiing, I'd want to be under 45 minutes.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
An hour. For those living in Reno that gives us 8 or 9 areas. I'm probably forgetting a few too!

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Under an hour driving time on typical winter roads to a good resort - which is our current situation @ about 35-50 minutes (depending on roads).

Previously, it was a 4-6 hour drive minimum to any good resort. It sucked and completely killed any spontaneous "hey, let's head up & put in a few more runs this morning and then go [fill in the blank for some other sport/activity]" kinds of days.

Sponsor

Staff online