• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
"Come for the winters; stay for the summers." Heard that many times. Summers in the mountains are special.
Imo mountains are beauty all year round. And even though I don't have majestic mountains over here, I so much better enjoy anytime I drive through any of them them. I mean whether its only the Poconos, or the up the Catskills to upstate NY or VT or wherever its just so much nicer and interesting and prettier, etc,etc,...vs driving south.

Id much rather be in a lake or a water fall in the mountains than the jersey shore beaches. Or simply just in the mountains.

Ive made the drive down the east coast to florida many times in my life and let me tell ya its one heck a flat boring drive vs driving through any mountains. Not that I can say Id rather be driving through bad snow storms on winding mountain roads for hours (which I have done) but that's sort of besides the point.

Give me wildlife, forests, fresh air, beautiful elevations, streams, falls, rivers and lakes. Unfortunately my wife choses the beach. And I can like that too (don't get me wrong) but only to a degree. But id rather live in the mountains and travel to the beach vs what I have now which is pretty much opposite that. Ive always admired the mountains out west since I was a kid. Maybe when we retire I'll head west while she stays east and heads south...lol

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
I grew up in a town with a small (ish) central Sierra resort an hour away. As a teen (with a driver's license), I'd drive that multiple days a week each winter. I'd also do occasional long drives to Tahoe, Bear or Mammoth for multiple days. Never thought twice about the long drives because, well, I figured travel for skiing was just a fact of the sport.

Now I live pretty close to two ski areas: one about 30min away and the other (a smaller hill) usually more like 50min. I have a pass for the closer one. I usually ski at least 2-3 days a week most seasons. I guess an indicator of the benefit of being close to the resort is that I can - on the spur of the moment - just head up to the mountain when I have a couple hours free and put in a few runs... and not feel guilty for not getting in a full day.

So, for me, a 30min-or-less proximity to a ski resort is a must have. I'm spoiled now.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
"Come for the winters; stay for the summers." Heard that many times. Summers in the mountains are special.
Summer in the mountains may be special but summer down the shore is spectacular.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Give me wildlife, forests, fresh air, beautiful elevations, streams, falls, rivers and lakes. Unfortunately my wife choses the beach. And I can like that too (don't get me wrong) but only to a degree. But id rather live in the mountains and travel to the beach vs what I have now which is pretty much opposite that. Ive always admired the mountains out west since I was a kid. Maybe when we retire I'll head west while she stays east and heads south...lol

Summer in the mountains may be special but summer down the shore is spectacular.

Different strokes ... I love the mountains. My parents live at the beach, and it's ... fine? I like it for a few days every couple of years. They have a boat, we set anchor at a little island the locals know, we swim, see some dolphins ... and still, I'd rather be in the mountains.

My mom, the opposite. Mountains are fine for her, but the ocean grounds her.

My dad is a switch hitter. Happy with either.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We can take or leave the beach at this point in our lives. My wife is a Wisconsin girl, so we'd like to live 20 minutes from the mountain and 30 seconds from the lake boat dock. But that's expensive to do...

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
We can take or leave the beach at this point in our lives. My wife is a Wisconsin girl, so we'd like to live 20 minutes from the mountain and 30 seconds from the lake boat dock. But that's expensive to do...

Yeah, those helicopter fees add up ...

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Being from Texas, I still have a high tolerance for heat and humidity. But skiing has made me embrace the cold and winter.

Most of our beach vacations have been in Delaware or the Outer Banks, but I prefer a lake in northern Wisconsin.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Being from Texas, I still have a high tolerance for heat and humidity. But skiing has made me embrace the cold and winter.

Most of our beach vacations have been in Delaware or the Outer Banks, but I prefer a lake in northern Wisconsin.
I also like the Outer Banks and have been there many times but it may get abit buggy. All though that may be subject to wind direction. If the wind comes out of the west it blows the bugs out of the marshes on to the beach but if the wind is out of the east you get a nice ocean breeze.

Lake n Ski

Putting on skis
Skier
As my username suggests, I'm very partial to both. IMHO, winters spent skiing great mountains are unbeatable. Likewise, summers on the water are equally unbeatable. I don't think I could ever commit to just one and I look forward to both equally. We live on a very nice lake chain now, but the only acceptable alternative would be living in a great ski town.

So, to answer the question, any distance greater than 1 mile from a great ski town is too far.....unless you live on a great body of water (but you should still strive to ski as much as possible in winter haha)

But to each their own. Personal preference is a beautiful thing!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'm lucky enough to live in a place where you can ski in the morning and get to the beach for a picnic dinner on some spring days. I grew up on a beach, and in the mountains. I prefer the mountains.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier
I grew up 2 minutes from the Columbia river for water sports/fishing and only 20 minutes up to the ski hill. I think my tolerance is a max 90 minute drive for snow skiing to my home mountain. That's what I have now and it allows me to ski weekdays from opening until about noon and then head down the mountain to either go back to work or in the spring go wakesurfing for the evening. Ideally, I would like to be closer to the ski hill but being on the lake for the summer makes the winter drive worth while. I do long for the days of "sleeping in" and still getting to the hill before the lifts start. I'd have a lot more snow ski days in for sure.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
all this talk of mountains vs beaches makes me think of something. makes me think of so many people who may have never got to experience/see or be in/on one or the other. And for some people possibly both. Some people have never experienced snow at all.

Sponsor

Staff online