• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
56 min carport to Silver Mt parking lot. Ugly drive but along I go:

rainbow.jpg

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
Day trips are Hunter, Belleayre and Plattekill.
Weekend trips are the others.
We had a place at Gore for 25 years and it is an easy drive, highway except for the last 25 minutes. Vermont is more of a pain in the ass as there is a load of one lane in each direction and little towns with hidden speed limits. We are in 3 out of 4 weekends mode to Stratton with less day tripping these days. It would be nice to move closer but those stupid jobs get in the way of our skiing.ogwink

20 minutes Campgaw 250 vert
1:40 Hunter 1600 vert, Belleayre 1400 vert
2:00 Plattekill 1100 vert
3:10 Gore
3:20 Stratton
3:30 Mt Snow
4:00 Pico
4:15 Killington
4:15 Whiteface

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Buddy who has a condo on Sugarbush has grown tired of his home mountain now wakes up looks at the slopes then hops in the car for the hour drive to Stowe. After 40 years of skiing Killington this place still captures my heart.

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
After 40 years of skiing Killington this place still captures my heart.
GIS is the reason I ski Killington. He and hundreds of others form a vibrant community that makes the mountain come to life. Of course the terrain, long season, and snowfall doesn't hurt either.

As to the OP's question, I've lived at 18º latitude, so I guess I'm willing to live pretty far away. Condo is now 6 minutes from the lifts.

Green08

Front Range Skier
Skier
The issue is really how early do we have to leave the house to beat traffic and get to the lifts just before they open. 6am departure is about as early as feels okay.

When we have skied closer to the house, an hour drive, once a week, never felt long, especially when you could drive the route on mental auto pilot.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The issue is really how early do we have to leave the house to beat traffic and get to the lifts just before they open. 6am departure is about as early as feels okay.

When we have skied closer to the house, an hour drive, once a week, never felt long, especially when you could drive the route on mental auto pilot.

I get that! I’ll be dragging myself outta bed at 8 to eat and get ready for first tracks at 9!

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
I wish I lived closer but I'm 3 hours from decent skiing(day at Hunter) and 5+ from good skiing(weekend at Killington and /or Sugarbush). I also drive a gas pig so a cheap flight to ski in far better places is a similar cost to driving.

I'm in the same boat.

Have consistently done a few day trips a year to the Catskills. Have to leave pretty early to get out ahead of the NYC traffic and stay pretty late to let the traffic subside on the way home. Makes for a really long day...to ski...the Catskills.

Went up to Hunter last week and while it was good for November, I'm beginning to lose the motivation unless conditions are really good.

Longer trips to VT, Adirondacks, etc. on the wknd are becoming less frequent as the kids' sports back home become more involved and time consuming.

We are considering buying a condo at Kton in a couple of years to primarily rent out for a few years until we have time to use it more.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm 1:45 from Whistler - about the same for Baker, always a 6am departure if I 'm only going for the day- return trips always seem longer
always enjoy the drive,the scenery is nice and it's what you get used to
If I moved closer full time I would miss the beach and ocean more so that's not happening

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I'm 1:45 from Whistler - about the same for Baker, always a 6am departure if I 'm only going for the day- return trips always seem longer
If I moved closer full time I would miss the beach and ocean more so that's not happening
Fascinating....I've been in FL for the last two weeks and have a few conversations with local friends about the beach. Most of them don't really go all that often but say they could never live away from it. I don't dislike the beach and see the beauty but if I never went another beach again I wouldn't be too upset. I guess you could say I can take it or leave it. It woud kill me to be away from the mountains though. I certainly meet locals in Summit who don't ski so I understand not going to the beach but living in the area.

blackke17

I'd rather be at Alta
Skier
half hour from Alta- be really tough for me to live anywhere else during the winter!

if i was relocated id prioritize the house hunting to under an hour to the nearest resort.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
4 hours drive every weekend, holiday and the odd day trip. Would prefer to be closer but that would limit my employment options. So I'm quite happy with it.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
I am currently 1 hour twenty minutes to Stevens Pass where I have a seasons pass. It is 68 miles but there are 4 towns/areas where you have to slow down to 25-40 mph. As far as a day trip I would say I would be willing to drive up to 2 to 2-1/2 hours each way if the skiing was really good. Otherwise I would get a room. From where I live in Marysville Washington Whistler is about a 3-1/2 drive. I will get a condo when my wife and I go there. For now good employment dictates where we live. When we are retired who knows. I have been looking at possibly Missoula Montana as I lived there when I was a kid. They have Snow Bowl ski area about 20 minutes away. I have never skied there but the vertical and trails look pretty good and the price is right.

Big J

Getting off the lift
Skier
56 min carport to Silver Mt parking lot. Ugly drive but along I go:

View attachment 59924
I was born in Kellogg. The only time I skied At Silver Mt. it was called Jack Ass mountain. I have read mixed reviews on it. I actually stopped there as I was on a trip this summer. The bad reviews are for lack of snow, lack of hours to ski and bad management. What is your opinion of Silver Mt. since you ski there?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I am currently 1 hour twenty minutes to Stevens Pass where I have a seasons pass. It is 68 miles but there are 4 towns/areas where you have to slow down to 25-40 mph. As far as a day trip I would say I would be willing to drive up to 2 to 2-1/2 hours each way if the skiing was really good. Otherwise I would get a room. From where I live in Marysville Washington Whistler is about a 3-1/2 drive. I will get a condo when my wife and I go there. For now good employment dictates where we live. When we are retired who knows. I have been looking at possibly Missoula Montana as I lived there when I was a kid. They have Snow Bowl ski area about 20 minutes away. I have never skied there but the vertical and trails look pretty good and the price is right.
Plan to spend a good part of the day sitting on the lift. My daughter lives there and only skis there on race nights. Otherwise, Lookout, Lost Trail, backcountry, etc. I think they are doing Disco next week.

4aprice

Out on the slopes
Skier
Times to my skiing destinations:

45 minutes to the home bump. (day trips)

3:30 - 5:30 to Ikon destinations in Vermont and New Hampshire (weekends)

35 minutes to Liberty International Airport (my gateway to Utah/Colorado) (vacation)

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier

I'm 1:30 to Mt Hood Ski areas and 1:15 to the beach house at Seaside Oregon. Pretty much half way between beach and mountains. Once we both retire I think we will sell the house in Beaverton, get a house in the mountains. Then we can spend summers at the beach and winters in the mountains.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
When I started teaching skiing in 1970, I lived 35 miles from the resort. When I made my first resort change, it was 25 miles from home. For the last five years I taught in Michigan, I drove 60 miles one way. Now I'm less than a mile from where I park at the bottom of the gondola.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Unfortunately , my big choices for local day trips are 1-1/2 hours to the 550ft bump. (generally good snow and grooming, albeit Ontario snow, like no other in the world) or
2 hrs for the 750ft escarpment hills , 1 of which is public, 4 private. ( Snow more typically Ontarian)
I could only dream of having a major ski destination within a 2 hour drive. Its 6 hours to Tremblant, 8 or more to Mt Ste Anne, 7 to Jay.

Could be worse as I’m from a London which adds 2 hours to your Moonstone time or 45 mins to your Collingwood times. Lol
Still make it out about 40 days to either of those two with 5 at Moonstone already this year.

I’m always shaking my head on how much I need to move when walking to the lifts of major resorts when on ski trips as I’m usually driving 3.5 hours each way for 550’ vertical!

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Could be worse as I’m from a London which adds 2 hours to your Moonstone time or 45 mins to your Collingwood times. Lol
Still make it out about 40 days to either of those two with 5 at Moonstone already this year.

I’m always shaking my head on how much I need to move when walking to the lifts of major resorts when on ski trips as I’m usually driving 3.5 hours each way for 550’ vertical!

Boler Mountain, Buddy. Need we say more?:daffy::yeah: