Featured How far away from a ski resort would you be willing to live?

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by esef, Dec 2, 2018.

1. esef

esef Booting up Skier

For me, I’d say maybe 3.5 to 4 hrs— SF Bay Area distances. It has to be within a reasonable driving distance for a day trip.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    SSSdave likes this.
  2. Steve

Steve Ankler Skier

Too far for me. I'm :15 from a hill and 1:20 from a better hill. Big ones a bit further.

I don't think I could live without the :15 one. Driving 1:20 back and forth on weekends is enough for me.

I'd say :30 or so would be tops.

3. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Out on the slopes Inactive

I used to live 1.5 hours from the ski area, so we bought a condo there, drove up Friday, back Sunday every weekend. Then when we moved out here, the rule for the piece of land was less than twenty minutes.

4. Muleski

Muleski Skiing the powder Industry Insider

Question....are you thinking of one way drive time for a DAY trip, or for a weekend?

In my experience, it depends on the typical traffic, the car, whether you are alone, with your spouse, friend{s}, kids, and their ages. It all depends.

We have spent the last 40 years driving 225 miles one way, every winter weekend. Basically a very easy 4 hours, and 3.5 pushing it {it's not all highway, at either end}. It's not worth the wear and tear, to me, to push. Two different ski locations, very similar drives.

Of course, when I would complain, and discuss with my dad, who drove us a family to Stowe to our house every weekend {form North of Boston} from the late 40's through the 70's, he would remind me that when he was in Boston in graduate school after WWII, he and a couple of friends would often drive to Stowe for the day. Before 93, before 89. Six to eight hours one way. The greatest ski generation. No wonder they bought a ski home as soon as they could.

I don't do many day trips, these days. I can do one midweek of about two hours. Toast if it's much longer. When the kids were young, like under 12, they skied midweek about 45 minutes from home. Very nice drive, easy.

Also been spoiled by decades of ski from the house down, ski right home......ski home for the bathroom, for food, to change skis, etc.

When we travel, we throw those comforts out the window........obviously.

5. Josh Matta

Josh Matta Making fresh tracks Instructor

As someone who day trips everyday my 35 minutes drive is kind of long, but I cant afford to live closer with out renting.

Monique, TexasStout, Philpug and 3 others like this.

6. Ogg

Ogg Getting on the lift Skier

I wish I lived closer but I'm 3 hours from decent skiing(day at Hunter) and 5+ from good skiing(weekend at Killington and /or Sugarbush). I also drive a gas pig so a cheap flight to ski in far better places is a similar cost to driving.

7. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

10-15 miles

Steve likes this.
  8. dbostedo

dbostedo Asst. Gathermeister--Big Sky Team Gathermeister

I'm ~1.5 hours from the nearest places now, and I don't think I'd like to be much further. Maybe out to 2 hours, making for reasonable day trips.

9. mcpowell

mcpowell I want to be good Skier

4 hours....by commercial jet. And that’s just to get to ski country.

10. Bill Miles

Bill Miles Getting on the lift Skier

I am about 13 miles/20 minutes for the last 14 years. It use to be 570 miles+ until I retired.....

TexasStout, eok, Bad Bob and 2 others like this.
  11. EBG18T

EBG18T Luv da snow! Skier

Work home = 30min from 2 decent resorts, 60 min from 6 decent resorts. Weekend condo 1 = 150 feet from trail, Weekend Condo 2 = 10 min bus ride to decent resort.

SkiMore and Steve like this.
  12. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    20 min to the local bump...all 190'. 1 and 15 to something a little bigger...2 1/2 hours to more bigger. 4 1/2 hours to a seasonal rental...Guess where I go!! The rental has a vertical drop of 2871'

Kiki, Big J, Sibhusky and 1 other person like this.
  13. DoryBreaux

DoryBreaux Friend for Hire on Powder Days Pugski Ski Tester Industry Insider

That depends on weather or not I have a sled/snowcat/van with mattracks.
    But for my current situation, 30 minutes tops.

14. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

in desert looking down at a river and up at MT's
    At about 45 minutes now. That gives me 2 mountains in that range and about a dozen golf courses.

15. sortsol

sortsol At the base lodge Skier

Some of you guys are making me feel a little bit better about my situation. I'm 25 minutes from a smaller resort (Sundance). I actually bought passes this year to Snowbird (45 minutes away) this year because we were wanting a change. Been 3 times already this year. It's been great!

David Chaus, Bad Bob and Philpug like this.
  16. Ken_R

Ken_R Living the Dream Skier

That is way too far for me. Im about 90 min from several major Ski Areas. I would love to be 30-60 min from them. But 90 min is not bad.

Sibhusky and Philpug like this.
  17. luliski

luliski Out on the slopes Skier

I'm an hour and 40 minutes from the nearest one, but the ones I ski are 2-2:20 away, if driving conditions are good. If I moved for the purpose of being closer to skiing, I'd want to be under 45 minutes.

18. Andy Mink

Andy Mink I am a half fast skier. Moderator

An hour. For those living in Reno that gives us 8 or 9 areas. I'm probably forgetting a few too!

19. eok

eok Slopefossil Skier

Under an hour driving time on typical winter roads to a good resort - which is our current situation @ about 35-50 minutes (depending on roads).

Previously, it was a 4-6 hour drive minimum to any good resort. It sucked and completely killed any spontaneous "hey, let's head up & put in a few more runs this morning and then go [fill in the blank for some other sport/activity]" kinds of days.

Sibhusky likes this.
  20. Guy in Shorts

Guy in Shorts Tree Psycho Skier

Drive past Pico every day at 3 miles from home up to Killington at 10 miles away. A hour and a half gets us to Mt Snow with 2 1/2 hours to Jay. Love living in the Green Mountains.

EBG18T, Eric267, Steve and 1 other person like this.