• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How far ahead do you look?

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
For me it really depends on the terrain, population on slope, groomed or ungroomed, In bumps or trees 2 turns ahead, groomed 4 or 5 turns ahead, of coarse the distance between turns is much different between the two. I really dislike skiing on a crowded slope , I get distracted trying to figure out how fast they are going and what turn shape they are doing. I loose focus in those situations and ski like crap.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skiing something steep and narrow, you want to look straight down, pretty far, not in the direction the skis are going.

If it's really steep, the skis will be going perpendicular to the fall line, but you need to look down the fall line.

So true, and something I still find myself occasionally getting lazy about, even after 55 years of sliding around on slippery slats.

TS
Uncle-A

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
In my OP the thought was about the difference between a type of ski vs. distance of the view down hill. An example is I ski a Head Rally that is about a 15M turning radius ski and I look about three turns down hill equal 45M if you ski a 30M ski is it still three turns 90M or still about 45M because that is what you are accustom to viewing?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In my OP the thought was about the difference between a type of ski vs. distance of the view down hill. An example is I ski a Head Rally that is about a 15M turning radius ski and I look about three turns down hill equal 45M if you ski a 30M ski is it still three turns 90M or still about 45M because that is what you are accustom to viewing?

I do NOT have a static gaze distance; if I do it means I am skiing (or driving) like cr@p.

45m is the height of a 15-story building - a distance that is highly relevant no matter what ski I am on and all my gaze scan patterns will include that. 90m - for that distance to be in my scan pattern I would have to be on a groomer and going for speed. Again, doesn't matter what ski I am on.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
This brings new meaning to skiing at a “higher level”!

Make sure you look far enough ahead. Yes there are two vultures down in the trees.
IMG_20190316_163734.jpg

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
I've never bought into the overly simplistic notion of looking ahead several turns and suspect many that say they do are not really doing quite so, especially when terrain becomes more difficult.

I make all manner of turn shapes on groomed terrain though more often make modest speed short and medium radius turns. And I tend to look at where I will be next turning during the falling thru compression phase of each turn. After I launch into the next turn, only then do I look to where I will be turning next since at that point my motion is already committed and seeing where I will be compressing into the current turn has little value while instead it is my body that will be feeling itself through that turn without need for visual input. At the same time I am most focused at looking at the following turn, I am also looking ahead though less focused as to what is coming up. Thus a kind of peripheral vision operating at the same time as where I am most focused at. All this noted, sometimes on groomed slopes I am not paying much visual attention to what is in front of me because I don't need to. The lower the slope gradient the more that is true while on steep winch cat groomed slopes am likely to be looking per above at snow surfaces of my next turn.

Now everyone has heard what comp mogul skiers say about looking 3 or 4 bumps ahead. They need to do that because they are scored on speed so and are going through bumps too quickly to look down at next turns. Also machine made mogul fall lines in this era are so consistent that well they don't need to be looking at much of anything and rather just using their body to feel through each turn while vision guides their general direction. But as a rec mogul skier I have absolutely no interest in going fast and rather work to maintain relaxed lower forces at modest to slower speeds. With rec moguls, the bump shapes and line varies greatly so I need to be looking at what's next then deal with it as I launch.

I want to make skiing bumps look smooth and fun flowing through efficiently. And per above am looking down at what the next turn offers while compressing down into the current trough or bump or smooth bump surface. And of course at the same time am aware beyond the next turn as I don't want to run into obstacles or people haha. Thursday moguls on Little Dipper (Heavenly), had grown rather large because it hasn't snowed in over a week now and that slope gets more local bump skiers each day than any other in the region due to the large population of South Lake Tahoe (40k). At one point in the afternoon I owned the biggest steep bumps right under the lift line few others chose and was highly focused on just the bump turn surfaces I was making turns on. Like I mentally was only aware of the good smooth spots to turn and little aware of all the bad uneven surfaces of each bump to turn on as I was synced into the rhythm of hitting every turn surface smoothly. And it is magic getting into that zone.

In fresh powder I tend to look a bit further ahead than the next turn because looking at the surface has little value since it is all soft and one's body reacts to the feeling not the visual while guiding one's route through trees, obstacles, and track free lines is important.

Last edited:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've never bought into the overly simplistic notion of looking ahead several turns and suspect many that say they do are not really doing quite so, especially when terrain becomes more difficult.

I make all manner of turn shapes on groomed terrain though more often make modest speed short and medium radius turns. And I tend to look at where I will be next turning during the falling thru compression phase of each turn. After I launch into the next turn, only then do I look to where I will be turning next since at that point my motion is already committed and seeing where I will be compressing into the current turn has little value while instead it is my body that will be feeling itself through that turn without need for visual input. At the same time I am most focused at looking at the following turn, I am also looking ahead though less focused as to what is coming up. Thus a kind of peripheral vision operating at the same time as where I am most focused at. All this noted, sometimes on groomed slopes I am not paying much visual attention to what is in front of me because I don't need to. The lower the slope gradient the more that is true while on steep winch cat groomed slopes am likely to be looking per above at snow surfaces of my next turn.

Now everyone has heard what comp mogul skiers say about looking 3 or 4 bumps ahead. They need to do that because they are scored on speed so and are going through bumps too quickly to look down at next turns. Also machine made mogul fall lines in this era are so consistent that well they don't need to be looking at much of anything and rather just using their body to feel through each turn while vision guides their general direction. But as a rec mogul skier I have absolutely no interest in going fast and rather work to maintain relaxed lower forces at modest to slower speeds. With rec moguls, the bump shapes and line varies greatly so I need to be looking at what's next then deal with it as I launch.

I want to make skiing bumps look smooth and fun flowing through efficiently. And per above am looking down at what the next turn offers while compressing down into the current trough or bump or smooth bump surface. And of course at the same time am aware beyond the next turn as I don't want to run into obstacles or people haha. Thursday moguls on Little Dipper (Heavenly), had grown rather large because it hasn't snowed in over a week now and that slope gets more local bump skiers each day than any other in the region due to the large population of South Lake Tahoe (40k). At one point in the afternoon I owned the biggest steep bumps right under the lift line few others chose and was highly focused on just the bump turn surfaces I was making turns on. Like I mentally was only aware of the good smooth spots to turn and little aware of all the bad uneven surfaces of each bump to turn on as I was synced into the rhythm of hitting every turn surface smoothly. And it is magic getting into that zone.

In fresh powder I tend to look a bit further ahead than the next turn because looking at the surface has little value since it is all soft and one's body reacts to the feeling not the visual while guiding one's route through trees, obstacles, and track free lines is important.
In bumps, even irregular, if you look way ahead, it will seem that you're doing a lot slower, because you have plenty of time to react.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier

Mogul competitor look 3-4 bumps ahead so that they can keep their head up and the torso upright. That needed to stay forward. Once you look down, you may hunch over, that makes the rear stick out and puts you in the backseat.

I've seen former competitors, they can keep their head up and look several bumps ahead in a non machine made bump run. Its takes lots of mileage in the bump field to gain good preprioception, knowing how to ski the various parts of the bump and trust in your peripheral vision.

Here's Martin keeping his head up and ripping it on man made bumps back in the day before groomers had the oppressive tiller and winch.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Mogul competitor look 3-4 bumps ahead so that they can keep their head up and the torso upright. That needed to stay forward. Once you look down, you may hunch over, that makes the rear stick out and puts you in the backseat.

I've seen former competitors, they can keep their head up and look several bumps ahead in a non machine made bump run. Its takes lots of mileage in the bump field to gain good preprioception, knowing how to ski the various parts of the bump and trust in your peripheral vision.

Here's Martin keeping his head up and ripping it on man made bumps back in the day before groomers had the oppressive tiller and winch.

That's some good skiing.

SSSdave

Skier
Mogul competitor look 3-4 bumps ahead so that they can keep their head up and the torso upright. That needed to stay forward. Once you look down, you may hunch over, that makes the rear stick out and puts you in the backseat. I've seen former competitors, they can keep their head up and look several bumps ahead in a non machine made bump run. Its takes lots of mileage in the bump field to gain good preprioception, knowing how to ski the various parts of the bump and trust in your peripheral vision...

Martin is so talented he could probably ski a lot of bump fields blindfolded by feel only. Once a comp pro has that upright form looking ahead that becomes habit, indeed that works ripping down fast and indeed may be the most efficient once attained. And also comp judges want to see that upright form as it does look elegant. However a rec mogul skier that cares not about subtleties of form, may find that if they scootch down lower at times even bending over some that as noted causes their rear end to stick out more, that instead of getting into the back seat, they may have more to work with rotating skis left/right at moderate speed against the inclined slope as the upper body is then more easily perpendicular with the lower body allowing more natural movement below. A local gal S that skis Little Dipper frequently consistently has her rear end sticking out more than I do and is one of the best smooth relaxed bump skiers one sees. I don't copy her technique but rather have noticed we coincidently have apparently evolved similarities of form and style.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
I am guessing that we all know that you should not look at the tips of our skis, so I was wondering how far ahead do you look as planning your next turn or the line you are skiing. Does it depend on the hill or if you are skiing on 15 or 20 M ski?
I've got that problem solved. I just read the pugski sticker right in front of my toepiece so no looking at my tips:(

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Martin is so talented he could probably ski a lot of bump fields blindfolded by feel only. Once a comp pro has that upright form looking ahead that becomes habit, indeed that works ripping down fast and indeed may be the most efficient once attained. And also comp judges want to see that upright form as it does look elegant. However a rec mogul skier that cares not about subtleties of form, may find that if they scootch down lower at times even bending over some that as noted causes their rear end to stick out more, that instead of getting into the back seat, they may have more to work with rotating skis left/right at moderate speed against the inclined slope as the upper body is then more easily perpendicular with the lower body allowing more natural movement below. A local gal S that skis Little Dipper frequently consistently has her rear end sticking out more than I do and is one of the best smooth relaxed bump skiers one sees. I don't copy her technique but rather have noticed we coincidently have apparently evolved similarities of form and style.
If you have the upper body upright, there's a lot more range of motion in your legs. You can absorb with knees to the chest, while if you're bending over, there's a lot less range of motion.

SSSdave

Skier
Was a mistake my trying to describe that with words. What I wrote was too vague to clearly understand where a drawing would be appropriate though I would not be someone capable of doing such as am not a student of body mechanics kenisiology. I brought it up on this thread per your input since it relates to how far ahead one might look ahead as I believe there may be other functional body positions in the many personal rec mogul styles versus the standard comp style form you mentioned where keeping the head up is considered correct. Maybe some day someone will post some videos of that rec bump style and we will have something to discuss.

Sponsor

Staff online