• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you start your buying process?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the first thing you look for when considering a new ski? Do you start with need or want? Brand, do you go to your favorite one first? Do you take a look for the new trend setter, the ski thats getting all the hype (yes, there is one every year)? Where do you start in your process? Do you just go into a shop to smell the wax and just let the process take you over?

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
What is the first thing you look for when considering a new ski? Do you start with need or want? Brand, do you go to your favorite one first? Do you take a look for the new trend setter, the ski thats getting all the hype (yes, there is one every year)? Where do you start in your process? Do you just go into a shop to smell the wax and just let the process take you over?

Assuming it is that time of year that the shops are stocked .... (1) Determine Need (2) do research on last years model in the needed category (always looking for a good deal) (3) hit the shops to talk to folks and touch the gear and now (4) PUGSKI for great advice!

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I probably don't need more than one pair of skis, but I have six. I fully blame @Philpug and @FTM for that. I'm fortunate to get on many different brands/styles/types of skis each season. That is where my search starts for the next year. I then have overly-lengthy and intricate discussion with the likes of @SBrown, @Tricia, FTM, philpug and @Ron. I'll do some online research and make a decision to buy more skis that I don't need.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
hmmm, I never buy new ski's but if I did..........:eek:

Ok, so yes, I enjoy trying different skis... Lately though I have been much more selective. I tend to gravitate to Kastle or Nordi, I also like what Salomon is doing. Now, thanks to @Harry Martin , I need to get on the Stockli 88.

I dont need any of them really, I am just one of those gear geeks that loves to try out different skis. Obviously, I take the que from @SBrown , @FTM @Drahtguy Kevin @Philpug and Scott( Dawgcatching) because I know them and vice versa. those factors are the most influential. Thats what makes this site so different and valuable. No other site allows the level of interaction to ask questions and get immediate feedback.

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I bounce about and trend to buy used based on price and reviews. Brand wise I will try Kastle this year (Thanks Ron!) but have between me, spouse, kids liked Nordica, Dynastar and Blizzard.

value wise, I just find em a good deal for what you get.

an desire on binding preference??

Xela

On the way to Squaw
Skier
I don't really "need" any skis. I spend a lot of time trolling online reviews and absorbing the wisdom. Then, when the opportunity arises, I pounce. Usually I buy a ski for the conditions that predominated last season.

Dadskier

Getting off the lift
Skier

Lucky enough the local shop invites some customers to demo and review the next years skis in the spring. They get customer feedback for purchasing decisions and build some loyalty with the customers. I usually end up falling for at least one pair that fills some hole in the quiver ....

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
SEE > WANT > BUY

Pretty much, yes.

But sometimes other things. Sometimes I decide that my quiver has a certain gap (aka my skill gap that I want my quiver to shore up), and then I look or ask around. Other times, a brand that I've had my eye on produces a ski so beautiful or otherwise alluring that I just have to have it. Wait, that's what Bill already said.

I've started realizing just how much I end up spending on MSRP skis, so I've set myself a new goal of only buying on sale or used. Somehow I never fully take into account the cost when you add up both the ski and the binding. Used with a demo binding seems like a pretty sweet deal and easy to offload. We shall see how good a job I do sticking to this resolution ...

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Lucky enough the local shop invites some customers to demo and review the next years skis in the spring. They get customer feedback for purchasing decisions and build some loyalty with the customers. I usually end up falling for at least one pair that fills some hole in the quiver ....

Thus the reason for demoing. Sounds like that shop has figured it out. :hail:

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I don't start my buying process; I am always researching potential candidates to add to the quiver. I blame skiing forums that have enabled my addiction.

That being said, when I purchase a new ski it is to fill or better fill a whole in my quiver, which is missing a soft snow ski for making tight turns in trees, a hard snow/race ski with a radius between about 25 and 73 m, a powder ski, a better race ski with about a 22 m radius. As I cannot really afford to buy a new ski that meets my specfications, I have a lot of time to do research.

snofun3

Booting up
Skier
"Do you start with need or want". Really? Need????

Right, OK, I guess I NEED new skis all the time ;). I usually plant myself in front of the rack at Fanatyko (or hear a glowing Philpug review), and some friendly salesman comes up and tells me that I absolutely NEED a new pair of skis (they know me far too well), and, soon enough, there's a demo pair waiting for me at the lift, and the rest is usually history.

Thankfully at WB I've skied with the Fanatyko guys, so they know how I ski and what I like, so they're spot on when they make a suggestion.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
Usually need, but then stuff shows up. Then I get something I don't need. Hopefully I like it as I'll probably ski it to death. Occasionally I sell them or give them away.
But I'll start looking here or epic and just seeing what's out. I do demos when possible.
Right now at least 2 of my pairs are trash as in no base left in spots and too thin. I may actually ski them as Vt is so bad. I should bring a screwdriver and just leave the skis stuck in the dirt when I'm done. Like those road accident markers.

Btw, I've got a pair of Lady Harts...

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Step 1 want/need. Those can sometimes be the same.
Step 2 advice here at Pugski.

In getting ready for this season I found myself coming here to research every purchase. The response is awesome! Whether it's from a new thread I post, reading other posts, or chatting directly with the people I've gotten to know here it has all been so helpful.
One down side is that I've already completely blown my ski budget for the year!

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I start the buying process by reacting to something breaking and wanting to replace it.

kickerfrank

Let's Talk Business
Manufacturer
When I decide I need something I do a lot of online research. Look for reviews from experts and customers. I then decide what features are what I want. Then I look for price. I'll shop around or wait until the price drops before I swoop in and buy. I'm fairly patient.

Sponsor

Staff online