• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you secure your skis outside the lodge

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
There are three different kinds of ski thieves. There is the picky pro that works with a lookout and watches for what they know are high dollar skis. They'll watch you put them on the rack and will even pay enough attention to get them if you try to split them up. They carry clippers that will cut most $10 ski cable locks too. If you have older skis they won't bother them.

Then, there is the smash and grab where they have a partner pull a truck in to the drop off area with the crook just walking over to the rack and grabbing as many as they can carry then trotting to the truck where they toss them in the back and drive off.

And finally, there is the clueless tourist that accidentally takes your skis by mistake because they look similar..

Reactions: Ron

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
Ski Lock -don't leave home without it. I've seen two people's skis stolen.

Err (where's the screw up thread) at this years gathering- first run I get off the Ajax gondola, grab skis, hear noise
from another pugskier, notice I have his skis and he has mine. :roflmao:

At the 2011 A-basin gathering I see one ski laying under the Pali lift and assume It fell off the lift. Pick it up and start
down to the lift but hear @segbrown hollering STOP. Her ski came off and flew out of the woods.:roflmao:

Freaq

Pretends to be local
Skier
I just don't. I'll risk experiencing my grief in one lump sum if someone ganks 'em rather than being concerned about 'em every time I step inside for a break.

OTOH, the only high dollar pair I've owned I bought used for cheap and then gave away. So, my theory is don't worry, be happy :>)...... tools, not jewels.

Read Blinn

lakespapa
Inactive
I never used a lock until I bought Kästles. I have a Ski Key, which works well if there's a rack around; I may get another. I do feel stupid using it, since I've seen only one other (probably clueless) person using one where I ski, and Kästles are rare enough that most people don't know what they are. On the other hand, replacing them would be tough, on my income. So I'll go on feeling stupid. Better safe.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Combo cable lock. Given up on the retractable as they snap with a firm tug. My skis are weird enough that its hard for others to take them accidentally so I've relaxed a bit a long way from base but never in Europe where ski theft is a real thing.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The graphics on my Fire Arrow 80 Pros.

And -- kidding aside -- at the base lodge, I always try to put my skis next to a pair of Kastles or Stocklis.

NESkier_26

Putting on skis
Skier
My friends and I used to split skis when we skied at the more popular NH and Vermont resorts back in the 90s. Over the past 15 years, when I primarily ski with my kids, I've gotten out of the habit of doing that and simply put my skis in the middle of hundreds of others and hope for the best. Our primary ski area has a security guard/cop stationed by the racks -- he won't stop anyone brazen enough to look confident but I'm sure there's a sentinel effect against impulsive teenagers. Lastly, I'm a one quiver guy who typically buys new skis every 8-10 years, so the risk of having my skis stolen goes down after a few years. Of course, right now the risk is pretty high, as I'm on two year old Kastles ....

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
image.jpeg
One of these.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
I may be wrong but most dirtbag ski thieves aren't out brand shopping, they are going to grab whatever looks good to them so I digress to @Chris Geib post.. I would guess a 110 wide ski will get nabbed before a 85. Maybe I'm wrong but I never lock up my Stockli or Kastle.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I may be wrong but most dirtbag ski thieves aren't out brand shopping, they are going to grab whatever looks good to them so I digress to @Chris Geib post.. I would guess a 110 wide ski will get nabbed before a 85. Maybe I'm wrong but I never lock up my Stockli or Kastle.
85? Try 78. :eek:gcool

Sponsor

Staff online