• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you secure your skis outside the lodge

Dana McMaster

Booting up
Skier
When you're in the base lodge grabbing a bite between runs, how do you assure yourself that your Kastle / Stockil / whatever ski will be there when you come out for a few more runs?

Personally I use the Ski Key (no affiliation) on a ski rack with those sliding pin contraptions when they are available. One of the local mountains uses a complimentary "valet" enclosure that requires you return with a stub to claim your skis. Any suggestions?

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
I use a ski key also. Had a retractable cable lock, but it broke as did a second one. Sometimes just try and split up pairs, but don't like that. And I sell locks for a day job!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I don't. I do know people's skis sometimes get stolen, but unless the resort has an integrated system, most ski locks seem pretty easy to defeat. One guy I know uses an "uglifier" (duct tape on the tip) to make the ski look like it's in worse condition than it is. My husband has a pair of skis that once had a binding issue - he left the masking tape in place that says that the binding needs to be fixed.

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't secure my skis. I do have several friends that have had their skis stolen. Most recently from mid Vail, not at the base. The skis were out of sight no more than 10". For me, there is no easy answer. My pockets (& pant legs!) are stuffed full: cat tracks, money/credit cards/Id, sun block, lip balm, protein bar, sunglasses, beanie and a flask. :cool:

ErikL

AKA Bro12
Skier
I use a simple cable lock. It won't prevent theft, but it's mostly just there to prevent someone from mistaking my skis as their own and taking off with them. That's really unlikely, given my big boots/bindings (345 mm), but it's cheap peace of mind. And I usually like to hang out outside, so I can keep an eye on my skis from the bench. This is at a small place, where I doubt theft is an issue in the first place.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I had some skis stolen a few years ago, and after that I got more careful about ski checking or using a cable lock (at the base, anyway). I've slipped a bit (a lot) since, but honestly, the skis and poles that were stolen were old and beat up, and had been sitting next to brand-new hot skis, so I don't really understand why. It was after hours ie not many pairs out there, so I'm confident they weren't taken by accident. Who knows. I have a lot of skis, so I guess I am not as concerned as if I had only one pair. Which ... I know, that sounds bad, but I think it's reality.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Somehow no one wants my skis :roflmao:

The only thefts I've ever had were at areas with bussed-in school traffic. That may seem like an odd correlation, probably a coincidence, but I'll stand by it. On one occasion I actually spotted my skis in the hands of some kid headed for the bus. I yelled, he dropped them and ran.

So...yeah, I use the complimentary ski check when it's there. Even for weirdities.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I never used to worry about it until I started running into people here who'd had their skis stolen. So these days I try to keep them in sight from where I'll be sitting. Of course a sophisticated ring with a spotter would be able to swipe them. Although I've spoken to resort employees who've told me they go through cycles where theft is rare, then becomes more frequent, then stings are employed, then theft becomes rare again. The stings are thought to prevent theft from becoming organized and sophisticated.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I, then stings are employed, then theft becomes rare again. The stings are thought to prevent theft from becoming organized and sophisticated.

As in 'camera watching your behaviour at the ski rack' type stings or 'monitoring craigslist for sold merchandise'?

Interesting, Bill somehow got around the double-post time lock.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As in 'camera watching your behaviour at the ski rack' type stings or 'monitoring craigslist for sold merchandise'?

Fishing sting with bait and surveillance. Other details or Craigs List patrolling I don't know. Did have a sheriff deputy complete with badge and uniform, albeit slope clothing like, ski up to me once. We asked him how the skiing was. He was kinda stiff so we had a little fun.

Last edited:

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I always used to use a ski lock - the simple retractable cable lock. I realize it would only take a few seconds to cut with the right tool, but it's like the story of the guy doing up his running shoes when the bear charges: "I don't have to outrun the bear, I only have to outrun you." In other words, make your skis harder to take than the ones next to you.
I have an older lock as well with a stout cable that would give more protection, but it is a bit large to carry.

In any case, I have gotten lax about locking in recent years. I should start doing it regularly again -- it only adds a few seconds. And looping the cable around your poles at least discourages the confused walk-off-with-the-wrong-poles scenario.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
For some reason the only place I get a little anxious about leaving skis for a bit (usually while having a refreshing recovery beverage) is après at the big corporate hill on I-70. Others, not so much.

That said, I have a little cable lock, but usually will just ski check and tip $5. lock is a hassle to carry.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Like any type of locking...your house door etc, the idea is to make it difficult for the thief. He/She will try where else. If they really, really want those skis or boards, it won't matter. So make it difficult to get them.

For me, it's not my skis, the jibbers like my short carbon fiber poles!! I have to lock those up.

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Retractable cable lock for me. I feel like a dork using it when I see no one else using one, but I would feel like more of a dork if my skis were stolen. Mild deterrence for sure, but better than no deterrence.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
And looping the cable around your poles at least discourages the confused walk-off-with-the-wrong-poles scenario.

The way I figure it, this adds more play to the system, making it easier to steal the skis. When I was using cable locks, I had trouble getting those loops tight enough to really be sure - at least, trouble doing it before I got annoyed enough to give up.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I guess in places where there is Gondola where you can download (like Mid Vail) someone can quite easily steal some skis by just grabbing and walking with them. At area bases it can be quite easy. Honestly I never really though of this until now because I have mostly used rentals or older skis. I am sure a pair of new Bonafide's 180's can be tempting to someone looking to steal a pair of skis. The story of someone here about their old skis being stolen is odd. Why would someone risk it for an old pair!?.

Since I will have some new skis in the near future should I be looking into a theft deterrent of some sort right? I mostly ski in Loveland, A-Basin and Vail/Beaver Creek. In LL I usually stop at the base lodge and leave my skis in the outside racks (can be seen through the windows easily but of course cant keep an eye on them 100% of the time). Of course I will go to other areas at some point. The ski key is obviously dependent on the specific rack being there. I honestly do not think I have seen one yet.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
40 year old Master combination cable ski lock. ALWAYS @ the base!

Yep, my turn to show how it works. Someone could easily sell these again with a little investment..

The bracket between the skis and poles slides back and forth so you put the poles in, slide it over, clip the skis on the other side, then secure the other end with the cable lock, which also goes around a pole or rack to secure them.

Sponsor