• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you record your rides? Finding inconsistencies in various apps

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Sounds like lazy programming where they only use gps ping for elevation instead of referencing with DEM.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The difference between the elevation readings on the app versus a GPS unit with barometric pressure is to be expected. The app uses basemap data to calculate elevation, and this data often does not take into account things like bridges, elevated paths and roadways, et al. Also, as it depends on the accuracy of the track to calculate these numbers, riding through areas with thick foliage or tall structures that obscure line-of-sight to satellites can result in a track that may "climb" or "descend" more than what actually occurred on the ride.

As far as auto-stop is concerned, it's made more accurate if you have a speed sensor paired to a GPS bike computer. The speed sensor is far more immediate in its reaction to changes in motion and will more accurately measure stoppage time than relying on GPS tracking differential. The difference between when I use my Edge 520 on the Moots (which has a paired speed sensor) and, say, my Pedal Force (which no longer has the sensor) is often fairly pronounced, even though I have auto-stop configured on the Garmin.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Dont forget to enable "Elevation Correction" once you upload an activity to Garmin Connect. Its under your gear picture on the right side.

I use a Garmin 1000 GPS & GLONASS, Auto pause, one second recording.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Dont forget to enable "Elevation Correction" once you upload an activity to Garmin Connect. Its under your gear picture on the right side.

Yup, this is essential no matter what GPS unit or smartphone you use. Especially with GPS units, the barometric altimeter is prone to variances due to weather and other climate issues (e.g. urban heat sinks). Sometimes the unit will record too much elevation, but typically it undershoots. Both Garmin Connect and Strava allow for corrections - simple stuff, one click fixing.

TexasStout

Epic Pass + Loveland 4-pack for 2021-2022
Skier
I use a Polar M400 which utilizes GPS for mileage, max & avg speed, along with elevation gain, calories burned, etc. and it also acts as a HR monitor.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Time and exertion as measured by HR or watt output over time. I use the smallest Garmin unit, Stages double sided cranks on several bikes, and chest strap.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Garmin 1030. Hate it. There is (almost) never a ride in which the bloody thing does not freeze and needs a restart.
And regularly shows the next village I want to reach as located in Nigeria, so quite rightfully declares being unable to guide me on by bike there.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
I'm quite convinced that in the rush to market these days almost all software and firmware is released as alpha and we are all testers..I'm not sure any product actually fully matures anymore..before the next big thing comes along..

And whenever I see this thread I think of Caddyshack for some reason..

Sponsor

Staff online