• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

how do you like: Racewax side/base edge tuner kit ?

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
seen here: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Bas...583&sr=1-30-spons&keywords=toko+ski+wax&psc=1

it looks a little toy-like. Also, plastic is (often) an imprecise material, and unless it's really hard nylon I don't trust it to dial in true 1/2 degree increments that stay set that way.

If you have good experiences with it and think it's trustworthy as to angle setting, I'd be glad to hear it (or conversely that it's a piece of junk).

Thanks!

Or alternatively: https://www.amazon.com/Swix-Phantom...WEDS3PK2W19GDBRFM&refRID=GC1WEDS3PK2W19GDBRFM

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have the first one. It was useful when I was trying to determine what angle I wanted to change my bevel to. And I use it to smooth my sidewalls if the sidewall cutter has skipped by setting the bevel up to 5. Beyond that, I'm not convinced that the detent always seats the stone identically each time if you're using it for multiple bevels across multiple skis. I use a fixed guide now that I've decided what I want.

Do not get wheels! I was a wheels fan, have a multiple angle side bevel with them and a fixed guide with them as well. They roll metal bits into your base. The pressure as you run down the ski base is concentrated on those wheels and they do a real good job of mooshing metal filings into your structure.

If you want multiple bevel angles, get the fixed guides with the shim attachments. Better yet, get a fixed guide for every angle. The longer you tune, the more tuning equipment ends up in your "give away for free" bin....

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
I have the first one. It was useful when I was trying to determine what angle I wanted to change my bevel to. And I use it to smooth my sidewalls if the sidewall cutter has skipped by setting the bevel up to 5. Beyond that, I'm not convinced that the detent always seats the stone identically each time if you're using it for multiple bevels across multiple skis. I use a fixed guide now that I've decided what I want.

Do not get wheels! I was a wheels fan, have a multiple angle side bevel with them and a fixed guide with them as well. They roll metal bits into your base. The pressure as you run down the ski base is concentrated on those wheels and they do a real good job of mooshing metal filings into your structure.

If you want multiple bevel angles, get the fixed guides with the shim attachments. Better yet, get a fixed guide for every angle. The longer you tune, the more tuning equipment ends up in your "give away for free" bin....
kinda what I guessed, thanks for the input. will hold off & then get dedicated stuff.

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have it and it is what I started with. It does/did the job just fine. Great to learn on and convenient. But I quickly moved to fixed angle guides.

Reactions: eok

pud

Putting on skis
Skier
I have the Racewax tuner and I think it works great.Easy to use and my skis always feel better after I've used it.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
As you are in the east, get a dedicated 3 degree edge angel tool, an edge file and a red diamond stone. That is all you need to start. I have a small adjustable edge guide, but, I just don't trust it and the rollers leave a line in the base.

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
I ended up getting https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D9NXKN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Hard nylon edge tuner tool with angled faces 90-87 degree and a fixed slot for a file and three stones. Works like a champ. I did some eyeball measuring of the face angles with a square and they look "right". I trust that the nylon is hard enough to hold the angles for as long as I'll be using it. I apologized to my old skis for using only a file on them for so long. Now they will by default only "get stoned" (nyuk nyuk nyuk but that was so bad I almost didn't type it). Multi-angle is handy in our house BTW because we have Heads and Rossis at 1/1 and Blizzards at 1/3. Cheers.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Best base bevel and side bevel hand tools are from Sun Valley Ski Tools. The base bevel guides come in several fixed degrees. No adjusting, so nothing wears/moves to make it wrong. Here's the base bevel guide arrangement, usable with files and stones:

http://svst.com/Shop/SVSTs-The-Final-Cut-Tool/

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Yes, the foot can wear, but it's replaceable. The junk plastic guides have no replaceable parts other than the cutting part of the tool.

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
There’s a place to register ......... or not. I guess you have to call them. Click on the profile icon.

Last edited:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier

Kneale Brownson

Instructor
Whatever floats your boat. I like to see what’s going on. I’ve used my two (one for home bench, one for locker room bench) probably once a week for twenty plus years. My spare feet remain in my supplies box.