• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I'm thinking about custom footbeds

Custom footbeds are a rare combination of providing an upgrade to both comfort and performance over stock footbeds regardless of the boot brand. Your feet will be happy if you do more than just think about custom footbeds.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Custom footbeds are a rare combination of providing an upgrade to both comfort and performance over stock footbeds regardless of the boot brand. Your feet will be happy if you do more than just think about custom footbeds.
I have Sidas heat moldable footbeds but think I can do better.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
According to my brother, 17 years (including the original liners). His plan is to wrap them in duct tape until sales start in the spring. :eek:

If any bootfitters in the SF or Tahoe area are particularly skilled in intervention-style sales tactics, I’m very interested.

4DE23C07-CD0B-4418-946E-AB0B3F8D2E3E.jpeg

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
According to my brother, 17 years (including the original liners). His plan is to wrap them in duct tape until sales start in the spring. :eek:

If any bootfitters in the SF or Tahoe area are particularly skilled in intervention-style sales tactics, I’m very interested.

View attachment 61416
He should just buy em online
Prolly cheaper
Get the red ones

James

Out There
Instructor

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

View attachment 61416

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OH MY GAWD

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

You may already know this but apparently your brother does not: In order to get the best selection (read find your size) the best time to buy boots is right now and the worst time is in the spring when all the models/brands/sizes that didn't sell (usually for a reason) are on sale.

Also imo buying skis based on price is fine, buying boots based on fit, warmth, performance is also fine. Buying boots based on price is often a mistake.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
@DanoT Agreed - we ran into a very similar situation last season after the skis he got with the current pair of boots were declared totaled. It ended with me forcing him to buy my roommate's rarely used Chams. I'm not sure how I'm going to pull off a similar stunt while working in a good bootfitting. Smart guy, great skier, somehow not a smart skier :doh:

James

Out There
Instructor
There's always sabotage to save someone from themselves...

Yesterday I was in a shop and they were telling a customer that his one ski he brought in had failed the binding test. That's after they'd replaced/fixed the screws that had partially ripped out. Don't ask me why he only brought one in. First off the binding was completely wrong for this guy as he weighed north of 165 and it was more suited for a 12 year old that doesn't race. But he had used this "for 5 years" with no problems. He said he was "fine with it", the shop owner said he wasn't fine with it, but could use it as long as he signed the slip saying it was not recommended for use.

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Update: After emotional appeals about his safety, I finally realized how to get through to my brother. He's probably the only person who's started his first real boot search talking about the materials and polymers (but he's a chemistry PhD, so I should've seen this coming). He finally got why better boots cost more money and agreed to get fitted. He loved the fit of the Cochise 120 but thought it was a little soft, and found a great deal on the 2018 130 model that will go to the fitter next week for footbeds.

We're both stoked that they'll take tech inserts & we're already plotting a Shasta trip for the spring to take full advantage of their touring capabilities :)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
We're both stoked that they'll take tech inserts & we're already plotting a Shasta trip for the spring to take full advantage of their touring capabilities :)

Try to get the tech soles and DIN soles at the same time when purchasing the boots.

Brock Tice

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have been wondering about this myself, this has been an interesting thread. I have what appear to be 2015 Lange RX 100s. Since I got them I've gone from intermediate to expert (Thanks, Taos ski school).

I'm noticing that even with the built-in power straps cranked down and the top buckle as tight as it will go, I still feel some play in the cuff toward the end of the day. Not enough to give me shin bang. I'm otherwise happy with the boots.

I guess my options if I want to address this are to go to zipfit liners or get new boots?

I am looking to get into AT later this season so I would need new boots for that anyway, right? My understanding from this thread and some other reading is that there are boots that will work with both tech and alpine bindings. Should I start looking for something along those lines?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I have been wondering about this myself, this has been an interesting thread. I have what appear to be 2015 Lange RX 100s. Since I got them I've gone from intermediate to expert (Thanks, Taos ski school).

I'm noticing that even with the built-in power straps cranked down and the top buckle as tight as it will go, I still feel some play in the cuff toward the end of the day. Not enough to give me shin bang. I'm otherwise happy with the boots.

I guess my options if I want to address this are to go to zipfit liners or get new boots?

I am looking to get into AT later this season so I would need new boots for that anyway, right? My understanding from this thread and some other reading is that there are boots that will work with both tech and alpine bindings. Should I start looking for something along those lines?
There's also the option of tongue shims.

AltaFan

Booting up
Skier
Curious if the rule of thumb that @Philpug mentioned in the first response is modified at all by boot age. I have some 80 flex Technica Vento 8s from 2006/2007 with maybe 40 days on them. They still look pretty good and are mostly comfortable although I’m a better skier now. Does the durability of the boot decline w age?

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I've seen it written that new boots are the last think a skier wants to talk about if their boots are comfortable, and the only thing they'll talk about if they aren't.

That said, I had a fairly uncomfortable pair of Langes which grabbed my foot like no boot before or after. I used them for 12 years, they both cracked and were bolted back together with brass furnature building plates.

Sponsor

Staff online