• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Curious as to the life span of boots. Is it days on snow? Do the polymers breakdown? What is the life expectancy of boots? What should the uninitiated look for as signs of wear etc? Thanks. Not that I think I need new ones, other than maybe going stiffer, but was curious.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I use a simple basic guideline, anything under 100 flex is good for the days in flex number, A 80 flex boot is good for about 80 day on snow...a 90...90 days...again this is just a guideline, please do not think of this as the boot version of an indemnification chart ;). For some people that might be two seasons, for some, 10 seasons. Over 100 flex...longer. I know one member here who has well over 1,000 days in his 150 flex Nordica Dobies. The better the boot, the longer it will last because it is built with better materials.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I usually determine time to replace boots by how the liner is standing up to use. With my last boots, Tecnica Cochise Pro 130, after about 350 not all full days the interior liner material wore thin with foam hanging out near the ankle on one liner, lots of gouges in the shells, the fit was not as snug due to continued liner packing out but still manageable.

Also, to help make the boots last, after about 250 days I replaced the shell screw-on toe and heel sole plate pieces.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I generally keep mine for two seasons. Between 200 to 250 days.
The plastic shell usually wear out around the hinges & rivet points. Makes the boots feel sloppy.
Liner packing out is usually not an issue with me. I am gentle on the liners.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I use
I know one member here who has well over 1,000 days in his 150 flex Nordica Dobies. The better the boot, the longer it will last because it is built with better materials.

Agree with that. For sure. I presume that I'm not the member, but I skied 11 years of long seasons in a 150 Dobie. I replaced the buckles as needed, the Booster straps, and the sole lifter plates. I had a bit of grinding done to give me some room, with some foot changes. And mostly, I replaced the liners before one might suspect that the old ones were dead. About 100 days in a Dobie lace up liner. Our son had the same size boot, and was getting a couple of pairs or more a season {comp'd racer....different program}, so we always had new to me Dobie liners hanging around.

In my experience with friends, most of them are skiing in boots that are shot before they realize it. They normally give up the ghost in late spring when they finally realize how packed out the liners are, and they are swimming in the boot. Continually cranking down the buckles more and more, and experiencing some pain.

Or, I have friends who are relatively new to the sport, and they have outpaced their boots, based on there improvement and often, their "older" boots are. a poor match for their latest skis. A newer boot makes a huge difference.

Better boots can live through a lot of liners, or depending on your liner choice, the liners can even outlive a number of top end boot shells. I have a couple of friends with 1000+ days in their Zip Fits, which have moved into a number of boots. I have almost 400 days {I think; I don't obsess over it} in a pair of Boot Doc foam liners. I have replaced the tongues, otherwise they are in really good shape; the fit to me feels as new. Maybe they'll be showing needs to be on life support by the end of the season. Dunno.

Also agree with King Grump ^^^^^. Some shells do wear and rattle. Others, not at all. Our son coaches year round, and he is very lucky to get one calendar year out of his coaching boots, the MSRP of which is not cheap. They basically fall apart. Now his real ski boots, which are Dobies, seem to have a very long life.

You should also pay attention to sole wear, your binding interface, etc. Many people do not.

My hunch is that if you're concerned about the boot degrading, UV exposure, etc, they probably have served their purpose. Particularly if they fit differently after you're back in them for a couple of days.

What is kind of maddening, and I think is improving, is that in the recent past the best made boots were also the stiffest flex boots. The most expensive boots. Now my wife is a very, very skilled skier, and she's in her 60's and weighs about 125 lbs in her gear. She is a candidate for a top quality boot, in a softer flex. She would pay just as much for one as for a 150-160 race boot. In her case we have kept in that top quality range, softened the boot, and gone with a good aftermarket liner. Solved. But not so customer friendly.

TS
Tytlynz64

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great info. My boots are only a few years old and I have probably 80-90 days on them. Mach1 mv 120's. I have replaced the soles on them. They are good for a while I think. Though @Muleski 's point about ability maybe true in that I might be able to power a stiffer boot now. 6 7 267lbs.

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
I use a simple basic guideline, anything under 100 flex is good for the days in flex number, A 80 flex boot is good for about 80 day on snow...a 90...90 days...again this is just a guideline, please do not think of this as the boot version of an indemnification chart ;). For some people that might be two seasons, for some, 10 seasons. Over 100 flex...longer. I know one member here who has well over 1,000 days in his 150 flex Nordica Dobies. The better the boot, the longer it will last because it is built with better materials.

So did I reduce the life expectancy of my Rossi Experience 130's when they were softened? Stock liners are gone, but still great with Zipfits.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Though @Muleski 's point about ability maybe true in that I might be able to power a stiffer boot now. 6 7 267lbs.

At 6'7", 267lbs. you should expect to wear out equipment at a faster rate than most other people, but you most likely already know that.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Boots can last anywhere from 100 to over a 1000 days on snow, depending on how hard you are on them and how good they are.
Here's when to replace ski boots:
1. When the shells crack due to plastic fatigue and the flex is compromised. How long that takes depends on the boot; I have an antique pair of Koflach 911s that's still going strong, but my Crossmax 100s are cracked after a half dozen 50-day years.
2. When the boot sole falls off the boot as you're walking to the ski lift due to plastic aging. Again lifespan depends on the boot.
3. When the liners pack out, you need new liners, not new boots. How long it takes depends on the liner; triple stacked custom foamed liners seem to last forever. Cheap liners that come standard in ordinary recreational boots, not so long.
4. When you realize that you bought your boots two sizes too big.
5. When you realize that you bought your boots with a flex rating that is way too low for you and the skiing you do.
6. When you realize that you were sold a boot that just will never fit your foot no matter what you do and decide to go to a GOOD boot fitter.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
When you start thinking you need new boots, you've likely needed new boots for a while.
That's what I used to tell people when I worked in a shop any ways :eek::D.
I used to go 2-4 seasons in a boot. Now it's about 1.5-2 because I'm in them 5 plus days a week for work and I actually ski when I'm working. I'm hopping to move to a two boot quiver, and maybe that will help me prolong the process of destroying boots

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m in this place right now, trying to figure out how much longer I can ski my boots. As @Doug Briggs (& many others) have said elsewhere...
A common saying in skiing is 'You marry your boots, you date your skis.'
Well, we’ve been together for 15 years & I still love my boots, Nordica Grand Prix. They even outlasted my first marriage. ;)

I got them in 2003 for a steal because they were NOS & the last pair the shop had, the shell stamp says 98. I worked with the boot fitter there and got them dialed in to start. “Bullet” @ C&R Ski Outdoor in Hillsboro & now Elon, NC if anyone is looking for a real boot fitter in the southeast.

3 years ago I replaced the trashed original liners with some “lightly used” zipfits I found on eBay. That was a revelation, because the fit is back to being fantastic, I have great control, zero heel lift and at the end of the day my feet feel almost as good as when I put them in the boots that morning, just a bit more uniformly compressed. I “only” have 180 or so days on the shells. So based on what @Philpug said earlier, I seems like they could be good for several more seasons of 10-20 days. I also started using Cat Tracks a couple years ago to save sole wear. (I wish I had bought the cat tracks 15 years ago too, fantastic!)
Over 100 flex...longer. I know one member here who has well over 1,000 days in his 150 flex Nordica Dobies. The better the boot, the longer it will last because it is built with better materials.
OTOH
When you start thinking you need new boots, you've likely needed new boots for a while.
That's what I used to tell people when I worked in a shop any ways :eek::D.

I have no impetus to get new boots as I really like what I currently have and I feel like i can ski well in them. Also, having read the boot fitting horror stories, it makes me even less likely to want to go through the process. Don’t mess with a good thing! OR is the tech & fit so much better that new boots really are significantly better (p<0.05) than a 20 y.o. shell w/ zipfits & I just don’t know what I’m missing out on.

Thoughts?

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The biggest thing that you are missing out with a old boot vs new is light weight. But that might not be that important, it is just the direction that the industry seems to be going: light weight skis and boots. OTOH the ski industry absolutely loves to re-invent itself, so you never know when heavy "planted on the snow" equipment will make a comeback.

James

Out There
Instructor
When the cracks in the clog at the instep and or the toe dam can't be stopped by drilling.
Btw, most people who care about performance are changing their liners if they keep the shell a long time. Though there's always that person with the original liner and 12 year old boots and skis 50+ days/yr. The guy I know doesn't really stress any part of any ski gear, ie he doesn't do a lot of even mild intensity skiing or mileage. The boots still have to be awful.

The 12 year old plugs I had I went through 4-5 liners. That might have included an intuition tongue which was crap. (The new race one looks decent.) Then I got knew boots, couldn't ski them and went back to the old after 10 days.

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I’m in this place right now, trying to figure out how much longer I can ski my boots. As @Doug Briggs (& many others) have said elsewhere...

Well, we’ve been together for 15 years & I still love my boots, Nordica Grand Prix. They even outlasted my first marriage. ;)

I got them in 2003 for a steal because they were NOS & the last pair the shop had, the shell stamp says 98. I worked with the boot fitter there and got them dialed in to start. “Bullet” @ C&R Ski Outdoor in Hillsboro & now Elon, NC if anyone is looking for a real boot fitter in the southeast.

3 years ago I replaced the trashed original liners with some “lightly used” zipfits I found on eBay. That was a revelation, because the fit is back to being fantastic, I have great control, zero heel lift and at the end of the day my feet feel almost as good as when I put them in the boots that morning, just a bit more uniformly compressed. I “only” have 180 or so days on the shells. So based on what @Philpug said earlier, I seems like they could be good for several more seasons of 10-20 days. I also started using Cat Tracks a couple years ago to save sole wear. (I wish I had bought the cat tracks 15 years ago too, fantastic!)

OTOH

I have no impetus to get new boots as I really like what I currently have and I feel like i can ski well in them. Also, having read the boot fitting horror stories, it makes me even less likely to want to go through the process. Don’t mess with a good thing! OR is the tech & fit so much better that new boots really are significantly better (p<0.05) than a 20 y.o. shell w/ zipfits & I just don’t know what I’m missing out on.

Thoughts?
It's time. And yes, we're light-years ahead in fit and feel. Plus you can move your zips over to your new shells.

The biggest thing that you are missing out with a old boot vs new is light weight. But that might not be that important, it is just the direction that the industry seems to be going: light weight skis and boots. OTOH the ski industry absolutely loves to re-invent itself, so you never know when heavy "planted on the snow" equipment will make a comeback.
Race boots.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Okay, what about the liners in those longer lasting 100+ boots? Still seems like a reasonable rule of thumb? I have Lange RS130 with 52 days on them. Should I expect the liners to last 130 days or less?

James

Out There
Instructor
Okay, what about the liners in those longer lasting 100+ boots? Still seems like a reasonable rule of thumb? I have Lange RS130 with 52 days on them. Should I expect the liners to last 130 days or less?
Only you can really decide and it does depend on thefit between liner/shell, and how you ski. Liners like that usually have a slight spring to the material. Unlike say Intuition, zipfit, and maybe foam. You might only notice it though if you tried an intuition or compared your 100 day stock liner to a new one. That's one thing I disliked about the intuition though.

But if they start feeling sloppy, or feel good at the top of the mt, then after 1-2 runs feel loose, well it's time. Or you can always try another type of liner before yours are completely shot.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Boots can last anywhere from 100 to over a 1000 days on snow, depending on how hard you are on them and how good they are.
Here's when to replace ski boots:
1. When the shells crack due to plastic fatigue and the flex is compromised. How long that takes depends on the boot; I have an antique pair of Koflach 911s that's still going strong, but my Crossmax 100s are cracked after a half dozen 50-day years.
2. When the boot sole falls off the boot as you're walking to the ski lift due to plastic aging. Again lifespan depends on the boot.
3. When the liners pack out, you need new liners, not new boots. How long it takes depends on the liner; triple stacked custom foamed liners seem to last forever. Cheap liners that come standard in ordinary recreational boots, not so long.
4. When you realize that you bought your boots two sizes too big.
5. When you realize that you bought your boots with a flex rating that is way too low for you and the skiing you do.
6. When you realize that you were sold a boot that just will never fit your foot no matter what you do and decide to go to a GOOD boot fitter.
7. When you want new boots!

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Only you can really decide and it does depend on thefit between liner/shell, and how you ski. Liners like that usually have a slight spring to the material. Unlike say Intuition, zipfit, and maybe foam. You might only notice it though if you tried an intuition or compared your 100 day stock liner to a new one. That's one thing I disliked about the intuition though.

But if they start feeling sloppy, or feel good at the top of the mt, then after 1-2 runs feel loose, well it's time. Or you can always try another type of liner before yours are completely shot.
I've read that even higher quality boots can still have so-so liners and that the RS130 might not have one of the better liners. I can honestly say there is no slop at this point, but my toes feel more pinched than when they were new, which seems counter-intuitive, but might indicate foot movement inside the liner. I'm thinking about custom footbeds so maybe a new liner, probably Zipfit, at the same time makes sense.