• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you get a spouse hooked on skiing?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
It's probably too late for me, but maybe this can help someone else.

My 52 year old wife of 27 years may call herself a skier, but she's not "one of us." When the weather forecast threatens a major dump, I'm looking at maps and trying to figure out which mountain will get the goods and how can I get there relatively safe. She's bitching about how long the lines will be at the grocery store from all the people buying French Toast supplies. I don't care about groceries, because I don't want to be home.

She has skied with me for over 35 years. Early on it was a requirement of mine. I even paid for her to take skiing as a college elective when we were dating. But as the years go by, I ski more and she skis less and less. Now she only skis on family vacations. Even then, I've learned she is much happier at places with a nice spa and shopping near by because she will not be skiing every day of a trip.

Any tips on changing her outlook?

Anyone ever successfully convert a spouse?

I think there is a period that they do it for love and then they revert to what they would have done without you. Sure, some stick with it, but usually they had the bug for equivalent activities before you came along. Mine flew gliders. I mistook that for a love of risky sports. But he prefers to sleep in. I made the mistake of allowing that 30 years ago. But, there's other pluses, so we're at the 40 year mark. The big one is he has NEVER tried to stop me from skiing, even after I slammed into a tree.

Last edited:

Sponsor