• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do you clean leather gloves and mittens?

James

Out There
Instructor
How do you actually clean leather gloves or mittens inside?
Can you wash them cold?
Synthetic liner.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah why do they need cleaned?

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Turn them inside out put them on your hands and wash your hands with a mild soap. A small amount of water should not hurt the leather. Let dry.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The leather gets saturated with use so I've no problem putting them in the washing machine, just by themselves so it doesn't matter if they bleed. Cold or warm water, never hot. Air dry and treat leather nikwax to keep it soft and pliable.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've never cleaned the inside of gloves...or the outside, other than blood stains, but I've wondered if I shouldn't do something about the snot-wipes. How often should I clean that?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah the only care I do for my leather gloves is this. I have some hestra leather baum in my locker and every 5-7 days(or every wet day) I smear some of that stuff on them and really work it in. It seems to make cheap gloves last forever and make stiff gloves far softer. I have pair of the Flylow Work style gloves that have had for like 400+ days doing that.

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
400 days on a pair. Imagine what the inside is like. The rubber gloves really start to smell.
Not sure why there's so much mystery of cleaning the inside. They were someone else's mittens.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
they honeslty do not smell......

leather breaths..

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
^^^^NICE BOT BUMP^^^^

Since we're going again we clean our gloves the same way we clean the rest of our outer wear.. by skiing in the rain..

Gloves clean!
1701996593556.png

Last edited:

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
all ski gloves companies recommend "Do not turn your gloves inside out"
I have not seen that inside any of my ski gloves, but it has been several years since I have purchased new ski gloves. I have recently purchased a pair of non ski cold weather gloves and it only says "Spot Clean" on the inside and nothing about "Do not turn your gloves inside out".

TS
James

James

Out There
Instructor
Marseille Soap apparently can be used on leather. Has olive oil in it.

hotwinter74

Booting up
Skier
I have not seen that inside any of my ski gloves, but it has been several years since I have purchased new ski gloves. I have recently purchased a pair of non ski cold weather gloves and it only says "Spot Clean" on the inside and nothing about "Do not turn your gloves inside out".
Hestra and Pow. Reusch and Descente recommend just wiping the leather gloves with a wet tissue, no washing at all.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Marseille Soap apparently can be used on leather. Has olive oil in it.

There are great unholy gobs of olive oil 'Castile' soaps on Etsy.

The soap doesn't matter as much as the tanning. We've known one basic fact since World War 1: veg tan leather falls apart when water is allowed to soak in. Which is why we invented chrome tanning.

Have you actually tried my carpet/upholstery foam on a nitrile glove trick? Foams -> minimal wetting, maximal defunk.

Muc-Off took the carpet foam idea and ran with it to make Foam Fresh. Carpet foam for sports.

1702220237442.png

But they f*cked the fragrance part: way, way way stronger than it needs to be, headache inducing levels.

Last edited: