• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do the top racers avoid injury?

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Talking about the titans. Aparently, MS have been experiencing mild back issues lately.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Yep^^^^
And now that it’s in the press USA’s Laurenne Ross, one of our top speed skiers had a crash warming up two days ago. Concussed, and TBD in her knee. She has been coming back from surgery this season, feeling better on her skis.

Now very likely done for the season. Tough year for the speed ladies.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Matts Olsson has been suffrring a concussion as well. Joined the tech team just a couple of days ago after a weeks rest.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
Interesting to read that the need for"rest" is constantly mentioned above. There is some current news-buzz that both Bode and Lindsay are quoted in Are stating MS could or should have skied in the Woman's Combined event. I have not read or seen video of the entire interviews, so, the buzz may be taken out of context. MS has issued a counter statement stating that only she knows her needs, others need not offer commentary. I love her focus.

Back to the basic question of how top racers avoid injury, I've always thought that at the extreme top, the athletes just have more inert skill to remain upright with an amazing sense of balance. In no way am I discounting the physical fitness aspects, but, gold level performance cannot be obtained by being fit. Memories of MS riding a unicycle or Stenmark walking a slack rope line always amazed me. Another differentiating factor, for me, is how well champions manage the mental aspects, it appears they can just slow things down in their mind and control the outcomes. Champions just have a complete package of skills.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting to read that the need for"rest" is constantly mentioned above. There is some current news-buzz that both Bode and Lindsay are quoted in Are stating MS could or should have skied in the Woman's Combined event. I have not read or seen video of the entire interviews, so, the buzz may be taken out of context. MS has issued a counter statement stating that only she knows her needs, others need not offer commentary. I love her focus.
"Need for rest" is mostly related to training sessions and combining load with rest during training period, not so much about racing. I'm pretty sure it's perfectly possible to ski every single event on WCH without any issues. Well most likely not for alpine skiers and their fitness level, but with normal training it should be possible, and it was done quite few times in past, with success. If nothing else, check program of WCH starting in less then 10 days in Seefeld, and there will be more then few racers, that will ski every single event (that's 6 "a little bit" more demanding races in 11 days).
But thing is, nowadays there's no skier that can be competitive in all 4 events. Even Shiffrin is not. Sure she can win SG or DH, but only when they perfectly fit her. Otherwise she's not competitive on "real" DH or SG races, and with men it's even worse. Specialization went so far, that someone skiing SL has realistically no chance in DH, which on the end also mean absolutely no need to try and compete in DH race when you know there's no chance for good results, and it's better to concentrate on events where you have chances to win.
But on the other side, I completely agree that only one telling what to ski is Shiffrin and not Bode or Lindsey, if they really did mention that. Shiffrin and her team are only one who can and should decide what she will ski. They are more then experienced enough to know what's best for her, and at least personally, I think, there's no need to listen to outside "consultants" on what to do. She and her team proved many times by now, they know perfectly well what to do and they do it best possible way.

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
"Need for rest" is mostly related to training sessions and combining load with rest during training period, not so much about racing. I'm pretty sure it's perfectly possible to ski every single event on WCH without any issues. Well most likely not for alpine skiers and their fitness level, but with normal training it should be possible, and it was done quite few times in past, with success. If nothing else, check program of WCH starting in less then 10 days in Seefeld, and there will be more then few racers, that will ski every single event (that's 6 "a little bit" more demanding races in 11 days).
But thing is, nowadays there's no skier that can be competitive in all 4 events. Even Shiffrin is not. Sure she can win SG or DH, but only when they perfectly fit her. Otherwise she's not competitive on "real" DH or SG races, and with men it's even worse. Specialization went so far, that someone skiing SL has realistically no chance in DH, which on the end also mean absolutely no need to try and compete in DH race when you know there's no chance for good results, and it's better to concentrate on events where you have chances to win.
But on the other side, I completely agree that only one telling what to ski is Shiffrin and not Bode or Lindsey, if they really did mention that. Shiffrin and her team are only one who can and should decide what she will ski. They are more then experienced enough to know what's best for her, and at least personally, I think, there's no need to listen to outside "consultants" on what to do. She and her team proved many times by now, they know perfectly well what to do and they do it best possible way.

Let’s see if Stina has ”rested” herself into peak shape in Seefeldt. Busy times.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Not sure about her, or anyone else, as at the moment, I'm so out of this, that I couldn't tell a thing about who would win something there, but I'm pretty sure she will be very very competitive in sprint, both solo and relay, and I certainly hope she will get gold there :)

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Often in the gym thread i read comments like: i don't need to lift heavy weights, i do perfectly well without 700 lbs on the leg press, or equivalent comments.
I think this is why a lot of recreational skiers, including experts that shy every day, get hurt

You need a lot of strength in reserve, way above what you might need on a normal run. So when you're on the verge of falling, you can pull yourself back in position.
And if you have a lot of strength in reserve you will not get tired.

The other thing that i read on this thread, and fully agree with, is rest.

I personally do not ski more than 3 days in a row, or 5 days a week. This way, I'm fresh when i go out, physically and mentally.
I noticed that if I'm tired, I'm much less likely to ski palisades at squaw or other committing terrain. It's probably my body telling me, hey, you're a bit tired, don't do stupid stuff.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was going to start a thread about the longevity of racers based on this article, but your thread is pretty much in the same mindset.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/...jcCHAI70q4FXZqRkqc7nkmhVqm0GpyHUP582BA7hdEyOc

Mikaela's quote resonates with me.
“I would love to race in every single race; there’s always that temptation,” said Shiffrin, who has won 14 times this season, including victories in 12 of her last 15 races. “But I have to do what my body can handle — to go to the limit, but not beyond it.”

Meanwhile she is being criticized by others in the race community for not being in every race.

Even Bode Miller says, "different strokes"

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
My point in the above post.

Example, (to be clear I'm not comparing myself to these elite athletes)
I went from OR in Denver, to Copper on snow, to Deer Valley world cup, and then boot fitting appointments at the shop. Tuesday was supposed to be a leisure day at June Mountain before WWSRA ski testing.
My mind, body and soul were not in the game. I know I'm a mere mortal, not like Mikaela, but still.....at some point you need a mental and physical rest.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
My point in the above post.

Example, (to be clear I'm not comparing myself to these elite athletes)
I went from OR in Denver, to Copper on snow, to Deer Valley world cup, and then boot fitting appointments at the shop. Tuesday was supposed to be a leisure day at June Mountain before WWSRA ski testing.
My mind, body and soul were not in the game. I know I'm a mere mortal, not like Mikaela, but still.....at some point you need a mental and physical rest.
All that plus you're posting at 2am when you should be resting, i.e. asleep.:D

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid