• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do the top racers avoid injury?

D Lamour

Booting up
Pass Pulled
Why is it that Shiffren and Hirscher manage to complete consecutive seasons without injuries ~ and when they do sustain injuries they are relatively less than their competition and they recover very quickly?

Versus the middle of the WC pack and especially many USST racers who seem to be constantly blowing, breaking, or spraining?

Remember when Marcel healed his ankle two months early? Or Mikaela came back from her MSL with victories?

Not counting speed skiers although staying healthy through multiple seasons gives a racer an advantage in learning the courses.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
Training and luck. Injured bodies lead to compensation that is less efficient, weaker, slower, and more stressful. Trained bodies are stronger, quicker, eliminate compensation, and are less stressed. So a key is to avoid injury in the first place.

Just conjecture on my part.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Mike Thomas out of my head and memory (which is not that great), I would say Lindsey didn't do that bad until that crash at WCH in Schladming. After that, it was just handled wrong, never left to heal properly, and always came back to racing without being normally fit again. I know, who the hell am I to tell this, when there's whole team behind her, but results (read: constant injuries after that) sort of prove my point.
Otherwise I agree with @Mike King.... training. I just had some conversation at coffee (as it was around 5pm it was too early for beer :D) with few racers and servicemen few days ago in Garmisch exactly about this. When you have whole team being constantly injured (USA or Canada for example) you are doing something wrong. Sure things can go horribly wrong in moment, but when there's most of team out, and it goes on pretty much every season, you should start asking what are you doing wrong. Nowadays, especially with 13 out of top 30 being out for season in men DH, there's trend to make DH races easier, slower and less challenging, but as far as I'm concerned, it's stupid way to go. There's no rule, you can't go different then straight line in DH. If you are not in shape for that, you either pick different (slower/easier) line, or you train more. It's same as trying to go with 350km/h without braking into corner in Formula1 and then complain tracks should be easier so you don't need to break.
Thing is, when you are physically so superior over your competition then Hirscher or Shiffrin currently are (or like Maze was in her best year), you don't need to ski at 100%. Skiing at 80 or 90% is enough, and when skiing under limit, chances for injury are much smaller when you are on limit. Afterall, injuries (normally) happen when you step over the limit.

Last edited:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
@Primoz it is interesting your comment about the US Ski Team. I was in the locker next to the parents of a US "C" team member and they were concerned about the volume of training that their progeny was receiving -- literally virtually no rest. From what I understand about the art of training, the load is importantly, but the recovery (e.g. rest) is just as, if not more important. So, it's not just the training, but also periodization of it that is important and may be the differentiator between those that do well and avoid injury and those that do not.

Mike

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As said, physical preparation is very important and can off course be done in a few different ways. But still, even if you’re not involved in any crashes, most who have been on the WC have some kind of ”memories”. Knees, backs... They take a serious beating. It is not healthy.

@Primoz it is interesting your comment about the US Ski Team. I was in the locker next to the parents of a US "C" team member and they were concerned about the volume of training that their progeny was receiving -- literally virtually no rest. From what I understand about the art of training, the load is importantly, but the recovery (e.g. rest) is just as, if not more important. So, it's not just the training, but also periodization of it that is important and may be the differentiator between those that do well and avoid injury and those that do not.

Mike

Rest is s u p e r i m p o r t a n t.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
The same factors that are present in many elite sports: appropriate preparation, technique, adaptation, psychology, physiology, team funding and support, equipment, medical/therapeutic resources and support, nutrition, right balance of training volume v competition v R&R, team culture etc.

Here are couple of injury risk factors from the research that LV can identify with:

1. Belief of the need to sustain pain
2. Competitive/aggressive personality

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
World class competition does appear to be a bit "unhealthy". There is a tendency to take risks in order to win against the (world class) competition. I put down the few non-injured world class winners to good training, but also good genes and good fortune.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's a few things in my mind.

Of course athletic preparation is very important - strength can prevent many injuries - but we can assume that today most athletes do have very good preparation.

Technical proficiency is one that tends to be forgotten. MS and MH are not only great athletes but also some of the best technical skiers on the WC or in the world. They manage to maintain technical perfection way beyond what the competition can muster.

The others rely often on athleticism and course instinct and have to push it closer to their limits and that makes one more inconsistent and that inconsistency puts you closer to injury.

It's about statistics.

And of course then there is crass coaching incompetency, improper recovery, training volume and periodization mistakes etc

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
You can ask the same question about many sports. Tennis is brutal on elbows, shoulders and knees. A lot of the top tennis players are injured at some point during the year.

And then there’s Federer who went years without being hurt. He also has a playing style that makes him appear to be gliding around the court while others are running or taking violent swings at the ball.

Fitness levels will certainly allow your body to do things that it otherwise couldn’t... technique will allow you to accomplish your goal without putting your body through painful contortions.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
Mikaela's coach as a young teen, the headmaster and head J3 coach at the time at Burke, is Kirk Dwyer. Kirk is perhaps the biggest proponent of rest and "periodization" that I know. He was talking about it long before any other coaches or PD's that I knew. Until Mikaela was skiing NorAms, and a year later in the WC at 16, she raced very infrequently. Trained, free skied with a purpose, drilled, and rested. There was no bigger example that when she won her J3 Junior Olympic SL, by something like 12 seconds. People knew she was a favorite, but hadn’t seen all that much of her. They were at Sunday River. Kirk explained that there was no point in her racing much, or overtraining. Guess it worked.

Rest as @Swede says is SUPER important. Mikaela has always rested, frankly until last season when, IMO, the push to ski "five events" was too much. She was on fumes, sick, and exhausted from the OWG through the end of the season, and perhaps lucky to have not been injured. I view rest as more than sleep and napping.

I agree that her incredible technique and tactics do enable her to be rock solid. In fact the harder the set and surface the more solid she looks. And she does not need to take risks.

I know of a head coach at a very elite program in the USA who seems to be on a fairly big ego trip and self promotion tour. He has a number of FIS athletes under his wing, exceptional athletes that he did not develop but is trying to take a lot of credit for. It is very, very clear. In the meantime, he has pushed them this season to travel, race, train and repeat. From what I have heard they have all "hit the wall" and are now dealing with sickness, some injury, surgery.......and NONE are skiing as well as they were last season or at the start of this season. That is not good. He is somebody who I believe wants to be "noticed", and then soon with the USST. Ugh. In the meantime the kids could suffer. He’s not alone in pushing kids.

Again, with respect to Hirscher and Shiffrin, I agree with @Primoz. Her exhaustion last late season withstanding, MS is probably the most fit female on the WC. You see it, and have for years, in the bottom part of every race run. Between NOT having to have the gas pedal pinned, and her fitness, she always has some gas left in the tank. It's a huge advantage. I believe that her regimen regarding rest, recovery, food and sleep helps. She's not alone in that regard. I think that her basic skiing, which is SO incredibly solid, and executed so well also minimizes her getting thrown around, getting into the back seat, stuck in a "wheelie", etc. She is always in control, and other than her one knee strain a few years ago, has been remarkably healthy. Other "girls" blow ACL's and have lower leg injuries with frequency and they are just not close to her in terms of....everything. M doesn’t straddle, hook tips, etc. I bet she rarely even feels aches and strains.

Hirscher? In this country{USA} most race fans have NO info about him, other than the fact that he wins, and skis on Atomic {sort of}. They do not know of his athleticism, his discipline, and his incredible strength. He is build like a little bull, strong as an ox. He was talked about as being the next great thing when he was 16-17, and then he began to add more and more muscle mass. He skis with what LOOKS like the gas pedal pinned to the floor, but it's not. He knows exactly how to manage each run tactically, be it the first run, or the second {depending on how the first one went}. Part of the reason that he has win seven Overall globes in a row, and stayed healthy is because of his physical strength and athleticism. No question. He also takes care of himself.

And then he IS the technically best in the game, on top of that all. Explains his results. Nobody else is close.

So those two are in class of their own. For a bunch of combined reasons. I also suspect that being RedBull athletes and having all of their resources has to help.

I have my own opinions about the USST, conditioning, injuries. There sure are many of them. A lot among younger athletes. And, of course those who have had chronic injuries....often for an entire career. I don’t think it’s a LACK of conditioning, or too much time on snow. Not not enough time off snow. And rest.

Some of this is just bad, bad luck. Bad timing. Some is congenital. Like Mancuso’s hips. Some may be pushing to come back too soon and too hard...LV in recent years. Ligety’s back, Resi’s knees. I don’t know. There are a ton on injuries on the WC. Look at the women’s field. The best male speed skier on tour is retiring as his body is just broken.

Brutal sport. MS and MH are clearly very special outliers, IMO.

Last edited:

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Training, rest, and a coach that -- from the very beginning -- encourages them to seek smoothness and the speed will come.

Ivan

Out on the slopes
Skier
Brutal sport. MS and MH are clearly very special outliers, IMO.

Out of curiosity (I am too young to remember that well): were there athletes before MS and MH who also managed to be very successful and stay healthy for extended periods of time? Some names that come to my mind are Aamodt (16 seasons on the WC; 11 consecutive seasons in the overall top-10), Maier (12 seasons on the WC; he escaped with minor injuries from his famous fall in Nagano, and his most major injury was from a motorcycle accident), Raich (18 seasons on the WC; 7 consecutive seasons in the overall top-3).

James

Out There
Instructor
Likely Stenmark?
Marc Giradelli had a bad knee injury and then a crash where he was almost paralyzed. But 5 overall globes, 13 years.

How about Bode? You'd think he was always injured, but I don't recall tons of injuries in his 20 year career. Missed at least one year. Isn't he still the only guy to win 5 races in each event?

Karen_skier2.0

AKA - RX2SKI
Skier
Mikaela's coach as a young teen, the headmaster and head J3 coach at the time at Burke, is Kirk Dwyer. Kirk is perhaps the biggest proponent of rest and "periodization" that I know. He was talking about it long before any other coaches or PD's that I knew. Until Mikaela was skiing NorAms, and a year later in the WC at 16, she raced very infrequently. Trained, free skied with a purpose, drilled, and rested. There was no bigger example that when she won her J3 Junior Olympic SL, by something like 12 seconds. People knew she was a favorite, but hadn’t seen all that much of her. They were at Sunday River. Kirk explained that there was no point in her racing much, or overtraining. Guess it worked.

It's such a shame that periodization took so long to be introduced to skiing. The Eastern Bloc countries were doing this in the 60s. Then, it became more common place in track and field, gymnastics, and figure skating 30 years ago.

In moguls, for awhile I thought tearing an ACL was almost a right of passage in the sport. But then I look at 2 prime Canadian athletes that defied the odds. Alex Bilodeau was on the podium over 50% of the time for 86 WC competitions and earned 2 gold medals at the Olympics and numerous globes. Mikael Kingsbury has 54 victories, 78 podiums, and 96 WC starts, 2 Olympic medals, and 8 "small" and 8 Overall globes. I did read an article about all the extra work he does with his trainer on his knees. Besides reducing his body fat percentage, they actually want to keep his overall weight down to reduce his chance of knee injuries. He's 5'9" 150 lbs

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
From what I understand about the art of training, the load is importantly, but the recovery (e.g. rest) is just as, if not more important. So, it's not just the training, but also periodization of it that is important and may be the differentiator between those that do well and avoid injury and those that do not.
Periodization, rest and all this is part of training. So when I say training, I don't mean just load or volume but all together, including proper periodization, proper rest periods etc. My racing background is in xc skiing, where training load is "a bit" higher then in alpine, and (at least) there, it's normal to consider rest as part of training or training planning. So, at least for me, when talking about proper/right training, it's talking about all things included not just training sessions where you HR is sky high :)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
When it comes to pro sport, injuries are mostly part of it, and lifelong medical conditions are always part of it. Most of people see skiing injuries mainly as torn knee ligaments or broken bones. Not many know majority of racers have at least some sort of permanent issues that come from all the shocks and repetitions they do through racing. And that's pretty much same with every pro sport. After endless kilometers I did during my racing career in running shoes, on skis, bike or roller skis, my knees and back are probably on level of some 90 years old grandpa. And until now I never had any thorn ligament or broken bones, just joints are not in so great shape. In tennis you don't have elbow issues because of trauma, but because of millions of repetitions, same goes for every other sport, from athletics to swimming. So even without injuries coming from crashing and tearing your knee ligaments or breaking bones, you are pretty much invalid after you quit your pro sport career.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I think finding a balance between over & under training, and being mentally comfortable with that spot is a big thing that a lot of people struggle with. It's so easy to get a little careless with the details and end up in preventable situations, but it's also so easy to get neurotic and start pushing for one more rep to "perfect" something, past the point when it stops being a useful instinct. Some coaches are better judges and better at correcting course than others, and I think athletes with a lot of longevity tend to have a certain mental resilience that helps them hit the middle ground over & over across a decade or more.

Sponsor

Staff online