• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

How do people handle condensation in their cars?

rundmv

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I drive a sedan and during the season I lay down a seat and most of the time my skis are in there. As the season progresses snow gets brought into the car on gear and my windows start to gather condensation and freeze.

Anyone else have this issue/have a solution?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Err? Check your vent settings for external air, clear your hood air intake, check your cabin air filter for crud, and check your out vent for blockage, in that order. A shop vac may be necessary for really bad cases.

If you're getting external air, and nothing else is blocked, the problem ain't snow in the cabin.

That's when you start to get worried about having a heater core with leaks. So triple check the air paths first.

Last edited:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
You should be more worried about your skis turning in to 180 cm razor sharp flying objects should you get in a wreck with them in the car like that. Even bagged they are deadly in accidents when inside the passenger compartment.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure everything that is wet or even damp, including skis, is out for the over night. If there is no weather, crack the windows when you can. Lay down a towel or blanket on the seats so you can pull the wettest stuff out.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
95% of the time I carry my skis in my covered truck bed, but whether it’s that or in our SUV I brush the snow off and towel them dry both before I leave the hill for the ride home and then again when I get home before I store the skis. I also carry them in a ski bag that I hang up to dry when I get home. I notice very little moisture, even in the SUV when I arrive home or afterwards. I also experience no rust on my edges which is important to me as well.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Besides what's been said above: Use the defrost setting instead of just the heat and defrost setting; it uses the air conditioning compressor more to dehumidify the air. Put dry newspapers under the floor mats and change them out often. I clear the vent intakes, crack the windows when possible and use the defrost setting, but am too lazy to bother with the newspapers.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I drive a sedan and during the season I lay down a seat and most of the time my skis are in there. As the season progresses snow gets brought into the car on gear and my windows start to gather condensation and freeze.

If you live in a damp, cloudy part of the country like I do, take every opportunity during the winter to park outside in the sun. E.g., at work. When you do this, crack windows and sunroof.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
And some cars are worse than others. Some close the external air flap automatically to keep the heat/cold in. It helps to Windex the windows every so often as well..

P-Ute

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

Same thing happens to my Subie. Only happens when skiing during storms; coat, pants, gloves helmet and skis are put in vehicle when wet/snowy, then snow melts or water drips off on way home (or if I happen to leave a window open during a storm). Next morning there is frost on inside of windows. Most effective is to park car in the sun with several widows cracked open or park in a heated place with windows open.

As others mentioned, do make sure your external air is set to open. Make @crgildart happy (potentially yourself too) and remember to strap down those skis inside the car, I use bungee cords. I guess I should do something similar with my ski boots, seems like the boots are another likely projectile. Definitely a good Idea to dry those skis when you get home to keep edges from rusting, also prevents the ASPSA faction here at PugSki out of your hair.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
You need to choose a ski mountain that is a longer drive from your home. ;-)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I have a sock full of desiccant crystals. It does the job. Since I ski all winter long, muddy boots and the occasional dripping ski coming home for a tune mean there's plenty of moisture in the car as the season progresses. And if you've seen our snow ghosts you'll know it's not the driest environment. I have a men's nylon knee-high full of crystals that has completely stopped the frost on the inside windows.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Rain%E2%80%91X-Interior-Glass-Anti-Fog-family-605x1024-1-605x1024.png

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I like the original RainX on the outside of the window. When I remember to put it on it's much easier to scrape the frost off.

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I use that too.n Totally worth the extra $$ over plain winter formulation. Makes getting bugs off easier in the summer too.
streaks badly in my experience here in the humid East.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I get decent results with the RainX washer fluid. I suspect it might be causing my wiper blades, Bosch Icons, to wear out and lose their bite sooner than regular washer fluid does though.. Starts with streaking then gets worse until blades get replaced.. every year instead of every two or three years..

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Those tacky looking plastic “awnings” that clip over the tops of your windows were my go-to at Mt Baker. Lots and lots of high moisture snow. Leave the windows cracked open and your vehicle has a chance to vent.

Sponsor