• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Mammoth has signs encouraging a 15' buffer. Now, that may be for MOVING skiers/boarders as opposed to stationary, but I try and give at least that much even if it means slowing or even stopping to make it happen. I certainly don't want someone within a ski length of me if I'm moving or standing still. I assume others feel the same and try and offer them the courtesy of not coming too close. Until I can read their mind I try and err on the side of being overly cautious. Who knows which way they'll move (or not move). There are no turn signals in skiing and even if there were most people wouldn't use them!

And yet...how close did that snowboarder get to me on Wednesday?

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Geez, you must be a magnet, first the 4 year old and now the snowboarder.

I am all for banning kids AND snowboarders :)

#keepthesnowboardersout

Edited to add: I have been to several adult only resorts, and an adult only no snowboard mountain might have merit. The après would be fantastic

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Geez, you must be a magnet, first the 4 year old and now the snowboarder.

I am all for banning kids AND snowboarders :)

#keepthesnowboardersout

Edited to add: I have been to several adult only resorts, and an adult only no snowboard mountain might have merit. The après would be fantastic
Both were witnessed by others and both times they said I was consistent and predictable.
The snowboarder was close enough that I "felt" him go by me.
I think Andy said he was a foot-ish away from my skis.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sorry y'all. I'm probably "that guy". I ski very fast on blue bombers and other groomed surfaces making my way back to the lifts. I'm usually doing in on 100mm skis. I don't mean to get to close or to startle you. Skiing faster than everyone else eliminates some of the possibility of getting hit. I can't account for the folks dropping into a groomed run from the trees or a snow boarder coming in from the backside. Still gotta be alert for those. I've never run into anyone or been run into, on the slopes. Getting to and from the slopes in a car is a different story.

Please don't impale me with your ski pole. Yelling at me will do no good. I'm usually skiing with headphones in. If you do manage to get my attention I'd be happy to have a coffee or beer with you and talk it out. Try not to get all aggressive on people. Skiing and riding place you in a dangerous situation regardless. Minimizing risk is important, but you can't fix stupid. (as the saying goes)

Dont see what 100mm skis has to do with on mountain etiquette.

As for your speedy ways and logic? Flying down blues regardless of crowds can be just as wrong as one of much lessor ability bogging up your black run while they knowingly got in over their head.

Having not collided doesnt mean you haven't caused stress or hardships upon others you blew past. And skiing as fast as your claiming how many people due to your actions have fallen or collided after you wizzed by without you knowing? Most people wizzibg by often never see what thier actions created.

Certainly skiing has its given risks. And your also correct that you canf fix other peoples stupid. But with due respect....you know what's also stupid? When one knows that on crowded day stupid is lurking fairly widespread and yet chooses to ski in the same free spirited manor anyway.

I mean ....when the given moment allows for it, go for it have a blast. But when it doesnt allow and the stupid is more dominating the slopes then unfortunately it calls for smarter choices by the smarter person.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier

As for your speedy ways and logic? Flying down blues regardless of crowds can be just as wrong as one of much lessor ability bogging up your black run while they knowingly got in over their head.

Having not collided doesnt mean you haven't caused stress or hardships upon others you blew past. And skiing as fast as your claiming how many people due to your actions have fallen or collided after you wizzed by without you knowing? Most people wizzibg by often never see what thier actions created.

Certainly skiing has its given risks. And your also correct that you canf fix other peoples stupid. But with due respect....you know what's also stupid? When one knows that on crowded day stupid is lurking fairly widespread and yet chooses to ski in the same free spirited manor anyway.

I mean ....when the given moment allows for it, go for it have a blast. But when it doesnt allow and the stupid is more dominating the slopes then unfortunately it calls for smarter choices by the smarter person.

@Goose

I was hoping he was trolling, as I did not think anyone could possibly be as blatantly self-centered as MattSmith’s post would make one believe.

Great post by @Goose

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
"Encouraged" :D Yeah, he was close. Really close.

I had one today that was closer than I like. Coming down the hill on a pretty empty run. A skier was stopped, I think putting skis back on. I swung very wide as I didn't want to make their life anymore difficult than putting skis on in powder already is. So, left turn to make room, right turn to come back below them. And there they were! They must have snapped in then headed straight down the hill. Caught them in my peripheral and swung back quickly. No biggy but I ASSUMED they'd be standing where they were for at least a few more seconds. We all know what ASSUMING gets you!

TS
Mikey

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier

Riding a motorbike (or driving a car) in Thailand, I learned to never deviate from my line in a quick manner and I naturally brought that attitude over to skiing. There were so many Thai motorbike riders absolutely flying through crowded traffic. Really amazing. Wish I had caught some on video. Almost a zen like attitude just flowing in and out of very busy streets. I rarely saw an accident but then people generally didn't make erratic movements..it's all about flow and using all parts of the road. This past trip, I saw quite few skiers like MattSmith just blasting through the crowds on blue runs. The difference between those two environments is on the slopes, there are people of all ages learning on the blues and more often than not, making erratic movements.

I observed every person that skis like Matt blasting through the posted "Slow Zones" and getting air of the "No Jumping" zones. They all made it and I know that when you are really good at something, the environment becomes very clear and everything just sort of slows down, but one day, it's all going to go wrong. I did observe one close call with an older gentleman that had stopped below a Slow/No Jumping zone (I was stopped behind those signs) and a gal came flying over on her snowboard, barely missing the guy and yelled at him for being in the way. Yes, he shouldn't have stopped there....but, the snowboarder was completely taken by surprise and it was only luck that she didn't take the guy out. On our first week, there was guy that had wiped out below one of those areas. He was completely worn out and couldn't get up because he was twisted up in his skis, so I went over and helped him get untwisted and stand up. Glad a Matt type skier didn't come flying down at that moment.

Really need to learn how to ski in the trees and moguls ;-)

Last edited:

MattSmith

Out on the slopes
Skier

Yea, I don't know where that 100mm comment came from. Maybe I read something incorrectly earlier in the thread. Anyway, last night's post came after several adult beverages. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I was annoyed because it still feels like it's a "complaining post". I'll stop reading and keep skiing after offering perspective on some thread twisting that's going on.

@Goose suggests I ski in the same manner under all conditions; be in a crowded day or the 1st Tuesday in February, I'm out there bombing down the slopes in a irresponsible or 'stupid' manner. Not really me. I believe I ski as conditions permit.

@Mikey, I don't "blast" through Slow Zones or send it off of the lips of traverses. Nothing to prove there. I estimate I reduce my speed 50%-75% from typical ripping speed and stay to side as much as possible. I don't ski through any beginner learner areas.

@slowrider, nice little passive aggressive comment implying that I'm stupid. If you want to come at me, come at me. I won't mind if you call me stupid.

Get to know me and I believe you'll find a reasonable and responsible individual who just likes to send it. ...but please don't yell at me or get argo with me on the slopes. Keep the vibe positive and we'll all have a nice time out there.

TS
Mikey

Mikey

Getting on the lift
Skier
Yea, I don't know where that 100mm comment came from. Maybe I read something incorrectly earlier in the thread. Anyway, last night's post came after several adult beverages. I didn't intend to offend anyone. I was annoyed because it still feels like it's a "complaining post". I'll stop reading and keep skiing after offering perspective on some thread twisting that's going on.

@Mikey, I don't "blast" through Slow Zones or send it off of the lips of traverses. Nothing to prove there. I estimate I reduce my speed 50%-75% from typical ripping speed and stay to side as much as possible. I don't ski through any beginner learner areas.

Get to know me and I believe you'll find a reasonable and responsible individual who just likes to send it. ...but please don't yell at me or get argo with me on the slopes. Keep the vibe positive and we'll all have a nice time out there.

Good to know Matt, but, seriously, all the skiers I observed that ski like you describe did not do that. I know it's a great feeling ski with 100% confidence and flow through all those slow folks just hope your skill (and luck) holds out on those busy, chaotic slopes :)

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
I have a tremendous amount of respect for skiers who are in total control at speeds much higher than I would ever contemplate. Their skill reduces the likelihood of an accident but their speed increases the damage to all parties involved. I'm probably an average speed skier and many times I've been passed at close quarters by skiers/boarders sailing by about 3 ft off the ground. It's a bit unnerving when you are completely taken by surprise and it's over so fast you never get the adrenaline rush.

A couple of days ago I was poling along a run out using just the ski tracks of the previous few that had been before me, the rest of the road had about 6" of fresh stuff and was much slower traveling. A guy tries to pass me in the fresh but slows down enough for me to run over his poles as he tries to get directly in front of me. I called him out from behind,

"dude if you're gonna pass, pass!

I got a somewhat impolite response, but decided not to escalate the issue and we both headed back to the chairlift. I got off first and headed down the same trail but he smoked past me in the 3 ft of space between me and the edge. His wake covered me in snow and I couldn't see for a few seconds. I had to laugh, such an a-hole but he didn't spoil my morning. So yeah, he was too close twice in a row.

Doby Man

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are you guys talking about? Where I ski, the skier with the ski that is widest underfoot always has the right of way. That way, when there is a dispute, all ski patrol has to do is look at the numbers printed on the skis. More seriously, but just a little more, we see so often how people assume that their own personal experience is a sample that is representative of the whole which is the same type of self centered attitude that people use to rationalize cutting others off and not giving a crap in the first place. Me? I love to ski fast and pretty much tuck ALL the time ALL over the mountain. When things get sketchy looking up ahead, I simply close my eyes, cross my fingers and squeeze my butt cheeks. The combination of these three tactical motor patterns seams to do the trick every time and why I would suggest it to all those unacquainted to such experiential knowledge. Though, as I had previously, I no longer cross my heart nor hope to die as neither motor pattern seems to be associated with good skiing, perse. I also no longer use the neck twist motor pattern to look back to see what may have happened so I am less likely to hit anything going forward, a personal contribution to the added responsibility I am willing to donate to the cause of safety and a badge of honor I wear proudly every day while flying down the hill.

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
What are you guys talking about? Where I ski, the skier with the ski that is widest underfoot always has the right of way. That way, when there is a dispute, all ski patrol has to do is look at the numbers printed on the skis. More seriously, but just a little more, we see so often how people assume that their own personal experience is a sample that is representative of the whole which is the same type of self centered attitude that people use to rationalize cutting others off and not giving a crap in the first place. Me? I love to ski fast and pretty much tuck ALL the time ALL over the mountain. When things get sketchy looking up ahead, I simply close my eyes, cross my fingers and squeeze my butt cheeks. The combination of these three tactical motor patterns seams to do the trick every time and why I would suggest it to all those unacquainted to such experiential knowledge. Though, as I had previously, I no longer cross my heart nor hope to die as neither motor pattern seems to be associated with good skiing, perse. I also no longer use the neck twist motor pattern to look back to see what may have happened so I am less likely to hit anything going forward, a personal contribution to the added responsibility I am willing to donate to the cause of safety and a badge of honor I wear proudly every day while flying down the hill.

Regardless the exact intent of that post. It made me laugh..hehehe

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier

@Goose suggests I ski in the same manner under all conditions; be in a crowded day or the 1st Tuesday in February, I'm out there bombing down the slopes in a irresponsible or 'stupid' manner. Not really me. I believe I ski as conditions permit.

@slowrider, nice little passive aggressive comment implying that I'm stupid. If you want to come at me, come at me. I won't mind if you call me stupid.

FWIW If you read my post more carefully I didnt really accuse you of much nor bash you but only offered feedback to the gist of what you originally posted. Much of which was meant to those who do indeed lack some responsibility when they ski the crowded slopes righteously.

Hopefully your not that person. I really wouldnt know. But there are many out there flying down blues and or crowded slopes with little regard. And who do choose to ignore the wrongdoings of others with the logic that since they are in the wrong I'm not going to care. And that is what is also wrong to do. If that is not you, then thats great.

Last edited:

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I just knew that at some point in this thread a fast, high flying super hero would fly by and point out the woes in our mere mortal approach to being considerate of the safety of our fellow skiers.