• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Prices

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Actually, if Zillow is to be believed, the tax for our old house in New Jersey dropped a bunch. We sold in 2003 and I know it was over $5,000 at the time, so probably that $5200 level. And it's only now returning to that level, still not back yet.
View attachment 49873
It looks like they didn't reassess ours when we moved in 2003. Apparently that wasn't the trigger. We sold late in the year, so the change from 2002 can't be the sale. It was November. And I know it hasn't sold since because we sold to the son of a neighbor. (By the way, if you're about to sell your house, don't tell your friends of twenty years how much you really want to clear. It'll turn out they just got info for their son and his wife.)

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
am i'm reading this correctly ?
13k taxes on 220k property value ?
sounds like highway robbery to me
if that's correct i'll never complain about my Canadian property taxes or the US taxes on the beach house ever again.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
am i'm reading this correctly ?
13k taxes on 220k property value ?
sounds like highway robbery to me
if that's correct i'll never complain about my Canadian property taxes or the US taxes on the beach house ever again.
Taxes can be funky down there..have to compare apples to apples. Some states don't have state tax but property taxes are much higher.

x10003q

Out on the slopes
Skier
It looks like they didn't reassess ours when we moved in 2003. Apparently that wasn't the trigger. We sold late in the year, so the change from 2002 can't be the sale. It was November. And I know it hasn't sold since because we sold to the son of a neighbor. (By the way, if you're about to sell your house, don't tell your friends of twenty years how much you really want to clear. It'll turn out they just got info for their son and his wife.)

I am pretty sure, in NJ, the town cannot change the property taxes after a sale unless the buyer tries to lower the property tax. It looks like in 2012 there was a town wide reassessment.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Property tax gets wonky -- you are taxed on the market value of the home. So, there is a game of keeping your home value low while you live in it. Also shenanigans when you purchase a home, such as saying the home value = mortgage value (and you make a large down payment). There is an entire side business of lawyers/agents/accountants that will work for home owners, filing the forms and making arguments about how little your home is worth. You pay them a nominal fee to contest appreciation... until you put it up for sale. It's a game. If you don't play, you lose.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Just read that the average price for a top 5% house in the US broke $1 million. In March the AVERAGE price for ALL detached homes in Toronto was $1.2 million... #losing... :(

U want cheap housing go to Puerto Rico.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 9.20.56 AM.png

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
amazing what a natural disaster does to a housing market.
lets hope prices aren't also falling in Northern California after fire season

Tony

tseeb
Skier
amazing what a natural disaster does to a housing market.
lets hope prices aren't also falling in Northern California after fire season
In Santa Rosa, where a lot of houses burned last Fall, and there were quite a few deaths from fast-moving fire in the middle of the night, "... in the aftermath of the disaster the city and county’s lost-home stock tightened an already tight market." and "And in the wake of new shortages, prices surged."
From https://sf.curbed.com/2018/3/28/17172022/housing-prices-surge-in-post-fire-santa-rosa

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Expect to hear soon what the recommended price will be for our house at Crested Butte. Sad story as to why it's for sale, but it's time. Moved in during a blizzard in Dec. 2000. New house and biggest we ever had. Moving on is hard to do.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Expect to hear soon what the recommended price will be for our house at Crested Butte. Sad story as to why it's for sale, but it's time. Moved in during a blizzard in Dec. 2000. New house and biggest we ever had. Moving on is hard to do.
:(

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This place has gone up for sale. Nice views. I don't think there's a house on it though. A billion doesn't go very far these days...:huh:

https://www.businessinsider.com/los...s-have-been-planted-on-the-property-already-4
That's crazy. It has everything, including a generator to supply power to 300,000 sq ft of building. Everything except... the building

It does make senses though. If someone has that kind of $$, they won't want someone else's idea of a great home, they'll want to build what they want.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
From https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07...alley-than-anywhere-else-in-u-s-last-quarter/ "The median price of a home in the San Jose area, which includes Santa Clara and San Benito counties, jumped 25 percent from a year ago, according to ATTOM Data Solutions’ Q2 2018 U.S. Home Sales Report. The San Francisco area, which includes San Francisco, Alameda, Contra Costa, San Mateo and Marin counties, was fourth on the list, with gains of 14.2 percent compared to last year."

Also from same article, "In the San Jose metro area, the median sale price for a single-family home or condo last quarter was $1.2 million, according to ATTOM. In the San Francisco metro area, it was $925,000." That is in US$ so the median sale price for a single-family home or condo last quarter in San Jose is over 1.5M Canadian $.

Hindsight is 20-20. My brother and I bought a house in Santa Clara, CA in the very early 80s for $91K. He wanted out about four years later when it had appreciated about 50%, but because I had made way more than half the payments, even when I was not living there, I did not have to pay that much to buy him out. I moved in with my wife and kept it as a rental, rented to the same family for about 20 years. Then when fixed it up and moved back in so our son could attend the excellent Cupertino schools for middle school and my wife got to shorten her commute by half. After living in it more than long enough to avoid most of the capital gains, I sold it at the beginning of the market softening in mid-2007 for 8X what we originally paid. (The rest of the country's housing price decline started earlier - this was the real Bay Area where some people thought it would never go down again). Part of my reason for selling is that I did not want to be responsible for maintaining a 55 year old house with radiant heating in the slab foundation.

I thought house I sold had probably doubled again as it's not much more than a mile from Apple's spaceship campus. But Redfin shows it's value at $1.8M (1,240 sq. ft. 3/2 good floorplan mid-century modern) so it's gone up about 150% in less than 11 years after a small dip in the late 2000s. The only one now for sale in the same area is on corner of busy street, 1,513 sq. ft. and is listed for $1.85M. My wife's son did very well getting into a 5 bedroom home nearby, but not as good of a school district for $900K. He found it before it went on market and wrote a letter to the sellers using connection through mutual friends to get it. Redfin has its current value at just over $2M, less than 4 1/2 years later. Hindsight is 20-20
[/QUOTE]
Tony, interesting to hear your insights on this topic. You've been at ground zero to observe the entire rise of the hottest US real estate market of our lifetime. I moved to the inner VA suburbs of Wash DC in 1999 and caught a decent appreciation wave, but nothing like the Silicon Valley area.

Sponsor

Staff online