• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

House Prices

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's funny, they have this site where they compare what $1mil gets you in T.O. vs some places in the States..2 bedroom bungalow on a 4 lane road built in 1942 with all original plumbing and wiring..OR...beach-front house in Malibu, 5 beds, 3 baths... :D Get me outta here!!

I hear ya though..San Fran is nuts too..

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Isn't Toronto where many of those popular HDTV real estate shows are based?

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just read that the average price for a top 5% house in the US broke $1 million. In March the AVERAGE price for ALL detached homes in Toronto was $1.2 million... #losing... :(
Over the past couple of decades, Canada, England, Australia and New Zealand have been very aggressive in shutting down new housing development across all cities. They have all experienced similar price run ups. Happens here in the USA too, but more on a very local basis.

Can I interest you in New England? You could probably get within commuting distance of Boston, 3000 square feet house, maybe an acre yard for half that Toronto average. For quick after work skiing you are stuck with 700-1000ft vertical drop, but within 2 hours of the big resorts. We let everyone believe New England sucks, keeps out the crowds. Not like the Coloradans who used to run around telling everyone "Colorado is great, you should move here." Did not end well.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just read that the average price for a top 5% house in the US broke $1 million. In March the AVERAGE price for ALL detached homes in Toronto was $1.2 million... #losing... :(

I hear you but Toronto vs all US ?
Toronto vs LA or Manhattan, now there’s a cage match !

Yeah, comparing one city to an average that includes lower cost rural areas is not meaningful.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
It's funny, they have this site where they compare what $1mil gets you in T.O. vs some places in the States..2 bedroom bungalow on a 4 lane road built in 1942 with all original plumbing and wiring..OR...beach-front house in Malibu, 5 beds, 3 baths... :D Get me outta here!!

I hear ya though..San Fran is nuts too..

To be fair, we are talking Canadian dollars... ;)

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Four unit condo complex on the Great Eastern Trail at Killington closed last Dec for 350K. Less than 90K for each two bedroom unit. Place was called Spruce Glen. Prices around the area are the same as when we moved here 15 years ago.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Reno has pretty much doubled since we arrived here 8 years ago and there is a severe housing shortage for not only purchase but rental. Reno is still what people think Denver will be, a smaller city close to skiing.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
So, for $2.5 million..you can get this in Toronto...
e4134786_1.jpg

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Even with the exchange house prices in the Toronto area (and surrounding area) are crazy.
We bought our current house for 392k 8yrs ago, it has more than doubled despite the government imposed cool down implemented and a 1-1/2 ago, just outside Toronto. In Toronto same for same easily double if not triple, in the core 4 times+.

As an FYI the greater Toronto area had the fastest growing new homes for nearly 25-30 years until about 8 years ago, at which point I lost track. Even then the house prices were nuts.

There are a few exception states (cities) that make Toronto look cheap. Boston, Seattle, LA.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
There's a new development around the corner from us in Fairfield and the houses go for $1.2 million. Nice houses but we aren't even on the beach side of town. Crazy prices IMO. Once you get out of Fairfield county the prices get better. Condo/house prices in Vermont from Londonderry area up to Killington seem reasonable (to me) so I'm currently working on my SO to buy something up there for a 2nd home for us.

Sponsor

Staff online