• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hotronic Snapdry Boot Dryer still made / sold?

James

Out There
Instructor
The Snap Dry seems to be unavailable??
Wtf. And Thermic is terrible for making separate 110v and 220v units.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
The Snap Dry seems to be unavailable??
Wtf. And Thermic is terrible for making separate 110v and 220v units.
Hotronic has been working on a new design for the past 1-2 years.

It is in the compliance testing stage and we should see it by next season.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hotronic has been working on a new design for the past 1-2 years.

It is in the compliance testing stage and we should see it by next season.

Hotronic came out with a replacement for the SnapDry, it is called the Micro Dry. They are now shipping to dealers. REI might be the best bet however it is not currently on their website.

and they also have the Tech Dry which also seems to be new.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hotronic came out with a replacement for the SnapDry, it is called the Micro Dry. They are now shipping to dealers. REI might be the best bet however it is not currently on their website.

and they also have the Tech Dry which also seems to be new.

Interesting, that looks to be a miss to me on the approach and the features. Microdry doesn't look to be designed to move as much air as the Snapdry with an active heated air (watts). Prove me wrong though if that is really spewing out a lot of hot air.

It looks just like a worse dryguys bootheater, or any of the variety of other in-boot dryers with minimal fan and working on convection to move the air. There is little differentiating factor for me to choose this microdry over other options

The techdry maybe closer as an active fan dryer; if it didn't lose the portability and has boot extenders, so it's competing against all the other non-portable driers.

You'll probably have to go with the thermic boot dryer if you want that design/formfactor of a higher volume of active fan heated air, as the snapdry

Last edited:
TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Interesting, that looks to be a miss to me on the approach and the features. Microdry doesn't look to be designed to move as much air as the Snapdry with an active heated air (watts). Prove me wrong though if that is really spewing out a lot of hot air.

It looks just like a worse dryguys bootheater, or any of the variety of other in-boot dryers with minimal fan and working on convection to move the air. There is little differentiating factor for me to choose this microdry over other options

The techdry maybe closer as an active fan dryer; if it didn't lose the portability and has boot extenders, so it's competing against all the other non-portable driers.

You'll probably have to go with the thermic boot dryer if you want that design/formfactor of a higher volume of active fan heated air, as the snapdry

I spoke with a Hotronic rep, he told me that the MicroDry does have active motor driven fans. It was hard to tell from you post if you believed if it had a fan or not.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(edit misread)
If that's the case, its up against the dryguys turbo.
If the microdry was just passive design, then it's about the same as the dryguys travel or similar devices.
But I really don't see how it is innovative in any way versus repackaging something 10 years old.

For all of these, the easiest method to judge how well it potentially might dry, is to just check the watts to see how much heat it really puts out and that will just be the benchmark of it's heating/drying capability. I don't believe those fin designs or case shape or positioning really going to result in any meaningful improvement versus just how many watts. I think all these passive devices are in the range of like 8-15 watts (both) to be "safe temperature".

If it's also got a fan to move air, like the dryguys turbo, that opens things up to pushing more watts of heat through. So I think fanbased dryguys turbo is around 25 watts (both), if i remember, with a couple watts to the fan. So by the watts metric this is 2x as effective as a passive device.

Then the full on snapdry/thermic active heated devices are in the order of 50-75watts and pushing heated air through (even though it's just seems like puffs); that's going to be 200% more energy then the inboot dryers.
Still this is just an easybake oven's lightbulb's worth of heat and air; compared to 800watts+ for hairdryer.

If this microdry really is pumping way more heat and air though and has watts spec behind it to prove it then I would say try it out!

Last edited:

Henry

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Snapdry (I have one) can use more wattage because it is actively moving the warm moist air out of the boots. The Micro relies on gravity for the warm moist air to rise out of the boot, so too much, possibly damaging, heat must be avoided.

Gloves & mittens need to be suspended so the cuff is upward to allow that warm moist air to exit. Heat alone won't dry...it'll make things like a steam bath.

I have boots that condense moisture between the shell & liner. I pull the liner out every few days to let everything dry.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January