• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Given the level of technology in so many areas today, it really surprises me that we can't buy something you simply wipe or spray on that results in fast skis for a whole day.

It sure would make multi-day road trips a lot easier.

A little OT, but hey, it's my thread!

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
@Tom K. there is something like this, but it's just an overlay. Swix started this with their HVC (High velocity cera) liquid and others are following. But it's a little bit expensive for non-racing use, as one 50ml box of HVC costs about 200-250eur :)

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tom K. there is something like this, but it's just an overlay. Swix started this with their HVC (High velocity cera) liquid and others are following. But it's a little bit expensive for non-racing use, as one 50ml box of HVC costs about 200-250eur :)

200 EUR? Ouch!

I just want a wipe on "wax" that lasts one day instead of one run.

I'd gladly pay for it, but not ready to go for 200 EUR.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Paging @SlideWright to the courtesy phone. I thought he had a good easy spray that would last over a day ...

The universal spray wax can last a day in soft snow, but will come off in coarser snows, like softer solid universals. Think easy on = easy off. The higher grade liquids and sprays do harden more and will last longer. Adding heat to the process increases durability.

James

Out There
Instructor
No one rubs on the wax and then melts it in using a heat gun while on vacation (less mess)? No one turns the ironing board in the hotel room upside down to use as a ski workbench? Where are the innovators?

At home I use a dedicated waxing iron (labeled "Holmenkol" but I have no idea who makes it) in the traditional way, hot but not too hot, with the same temperature setting marked with a Sharpie given I am going through a 250 gram brick. When the wax runs out I'll buy something else and figure out what temp. works for that wax.

Heat gun and bases... "Well I was watching the race on tv and forgot to move the heat gun. Next thing I knew the base bubbled up."

That Holmenkohl Iron is made by Star, an Italian company. They used to make a non digital electronic one also.
They now make one with nearly a 1 inch thick bottom.
Star:
http://www.starwax.com/en_sottocategorie.asp?nyhetsID=30

You can get Star here:
http://shop.caldwellsport.com/irons/

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When hot waxing goes bad or wears out, two things I always carry in my pocket for waxing in an emergency. Beeswax and a hotel package of soap.

The beeswax is an all around good wax under any conditions as a quick rub on/in. Lasts anywhere from a couple of hours to a day depending on conditions. Overall doesn't hurt in any condition, but definitely helps when the dedicated ski wax is wrong or has worn out.

Soap, extremely fast in warm weather (at around freezing or above), last for about 20-60 seconds. Rub on damp, let dry, repeat. This is an add on when you need that extra edge on your friend/race. This is an old school race trick that still works today. Duration is dependant on Temps, higher temps equal shorter life. This one falls under cheap (FREE) and quick.

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I use Raysway tool -- now marketed as Proglide by Mike Desantis at www.skimd.com when I travel. Fast, easy, no wasted wax.

Anybody else like this approach?

I watched the video, and I'm ready to give it a try........I think!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
It was actually quite popular around 15 years ago - when people first started noticing base 'burn' near the edges of short-sidecut-radius skis.

It didn't really do the job for the hard waxes I used at the time - CH4, LFG4, so I never got into it.'

(EDIT: And it didn't work at all on Snowblades 'coz of the extruded bases so it was a double whammy)

Last edited:
TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It was actually quite popular around 15 years ago - when people first started noticing base 'burn' near the edges of short-sidecut-radius skis.

It didn't really do the job for the hard waxes I used at the time - CH4, LFG4, so I never got into it.'

(EDIT: And it didn't work at all on Snowblades 'coz of the extruded bases so it was a double whammy)

I may give it a try. I get exactly what you call the base burn near the edges of carving skis when my wife and I venture over to Sun Valley.

No matter the hot waxing technique, and no matter who lays it on, I've got at least slightly burnt edges by day's end.

And forget about two days in a row without re-waxing, which is a royal pain on the road.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Anybody else like this approach?

I watched the video, and I'm ready to give it a try........I think!

I ordered it. Will use it in a few weeks.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
But what if you spray on the wax then hot box it? :micdrop:

TS
Tom K.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Out of curiosity, which wax will you be using?

Well, since this approach uses far less wax, I'll probably use a bit of Swix Low Fluoro Yellow (LF10) and/or Red (LF8), since I've got a bunch, and don't seem to hit the xc trails as much as I used to.

From watching the video, it seems clear (obvious?) that a softer wax will be better suited to this approach, but we'll see.

Also, I did ask the purveyor for a wax recommendation, but have not yet received a response.