• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hookless MTB Rim Experiences? Love/Hate?

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
The Karate Monkey needs a new wheelset. When I dig around for 20-25mm internal width rims that are welded(not pinned/sleeved), I find hookless rims. I typically prefer to build Mavic rims as they are round and stiff. I will be running a 2.0-2.2" mtb tire(tubeless) at pressures up to 35 psi. I'm lightweight, 140 lbs. My primary concern with the hookless "technology" is not so much the tubeless reliability, but the field-repair tubed reliability. IN YOUR EXPERIENCE, do hookless mtb rims work reliably with an inner tube?

I'm interested in ANY love/hate or general experience that you have had with this new(old) technology.

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I was skeptical about hookless, but I do have a hookless wheel set or two (Mavic, btw) and they've been non-remarkable. That said, I've never flatted them or put tubes in them, so it may not help you at all to know that.

TS
Delicious

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I was skeptical about hookless, but I do have a hookless wheel set or two (Mavic, btw) and they've been non-remarkable. That said, I've never flatted them or put tubes in them, so it may not help you at all to know that.
"Non-remarkable" is kinda what I'm after. No flats=no tubes=good news to me. Thanks for the reply.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
been using hookless Mountain and road wheels with zero issues but I haven't used tubes in years. I can speak to the Field repair because I haven't had a flat in years :)

TS
Delicious

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Yep. I had read both of those articles. My concern is not so much with the proper mtb tubeless setup, or even the theory of function in general. I am just looking for some real-world data points, which you guys have provided nicely.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMO, it's not so much the hookless part of the rim design as it is the fact that current mtb tire and rim mfgs have tolerances generally figured out to the point that tubeless setup works very well.......and makes things tight enough that stuffing a tube in there is not so easy.

If I used tubes exclusively, I think I'd avoid hookless rims, all other things being equal.

TS
Delicious

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
I would LOVE to "avoid hookless rims"! I can't currently fine anything I'm excited about that isn't hookless. I've never had a flat with an MTB tubeless setup. But, I DO carry a tube anytime I'll be more than a 1-2 mile walk from home/car. This bike in particular sees a bit of pavement, and even freeway shoulder debris from time to time, which isn't exactly forgiving or "standard mtb tubeless terrain." I guess I'm expecting to slice a tire at some point on this bike, and need to feel like a boot+tube will still get the job done. If it's only a matter of it being a tight, or difficult tube fitment/installation, I am not at all concerned about this. I used to mount 650c Michelin Pro clinchers onto Gen 1 404's for a living! I think my question is: Does an inner tube distort the tire profile in a way that prevents reliable tire retention?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yep, absolutely need to be prepared for flats. I rarely get flats, yet saturday, on a family mtb ride, guess who got a flat? My 75lbs 9 year old on abrand new Conti Proitection tire (tubeless). Fixed it with a tire plug, but still carry a tube just in case.

I have several hookless wheels, and have never had an issue with an inner tube, but their use has been very are, so hardly good data.

In general an inner tube only increases the hold of the tire bead on the rim, because it pushes outwards. So no, I wouldn't worry about that. Also, in an emergency repair, with a mini pump, you are unlikely to pump the tire up to very high pressure.

Sponsor

Staff online