• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hoody for midlayer

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
For those that use a hoody under a shell, is it a pita to keep the hood of the mid layer packed down or out of the way? I’m thinking of getting the Arc’teryx atom LT, and am debating between the hoody or non-hooded version.

Thanks.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I use the Atom LT a lot and love it under a shell. No issues, the hood is not huge.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I wore hoodie t-shirts the as my only layer under my jacket for the 7 days on my most recent trip. Loved it, hood never thought about escaping from the jacket and flopping around.

Go for it

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
I use the Atom LT a lot and love it under a shell. No issues, the hood is not huge.

Great input, thanks. I sort of want the hood for the now and then that it would be useful, but only if it is not otherwise in the way when I don’t need it which would be most of the time

TS
ChrisFromOC

ChrisFromOC

Putting on skis
Skier
Personally I don't like the bulk. And I would never wear cotton skiing. But if it works for you...go for it!

I’m looking at an Arc’teryx breathable fabric as well. Under Armour has convinced me that cotton is the enemy ...

davjr96

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have the proton LT (heavier version of the atom) and a family member has the atom LT. Both with hoods. The hoods are very light and no problem under a shell. Also fit over a helmet very well. Love both jackets and would highly recommend as a mid layer.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Great input, thanks. I sort of want the hood for the now and then that it would be useful, but only if it is not otherwise in the way when I don’t need it which would be most of the time

I really like the hood for when I use the Atom LT as a summer or shoulder season outer layer when camping/hiking. It just adds that extra bit of warmth when needed.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Patagonia R1 Hoodie is the best piece of outdoor gear I own. Warm, low profile, fits under helmet, has built-in facecover/balaclava. I wear it hiking, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, ice-climbing, etc. I have a few of them. The old version (prior to last year) had an off-center face zipper which is great for staying out of your mouth/nose.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Order from a place with a good return policy, or find local and try it on with your shell and helmet. One of my biggest problems with a hoody mid-layer is they tend to make an already tight fitting shell collar painful to wear zipped up, regardless of hood being worn up or down and fitting under or over the helmet.
Then again if you don't mind looking like Quasimodo, you could position the hood to hang down your back and put the shell over it. Solves the problem of the hood within a shell hood not up over helmet wetting out/water migration drawn down the back of the mid-layer within the shell.

MikeS

freeski919
Instructor
I've worn different thickness hoodies as a midlayer before. The thinner ones I have no problem just wearing my jacket over it. The thicker ones tend to be a little bulky under my jacket, so I'll actually put my hood up, put my jacket on, then pull the hood down so the hood sits outside the jacket collar. I've found that if its comfortable for you, it's a good way to keep the back of your neck warm.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a few different hoodies that I wear under a shell. From least to most warm:

Patagonia merino hoody
Patagonia R1 hoody
Patagonia R3 hoody
Arc’teryx Atom LT hoody

The hoods on all of the Patagonia hoodies are kind of like balaclavas and can be worn under the helmet and cover a lot of the face. If it cold enough to wear the Atom LT, it’s probably over the R1, and i have the R1 hood on. None of these hoods feel bulky under a shell.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Trailtrimmer, where did you get the UA piece for $35?

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
I usually wear my outer shell hoodie on windy chair lifts, so I don't like having the bunch up over a mid-layer hoodie between my helmet and my shell hood.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Hey Trailtrimmer, where did you get the UA piece for $35?

swing and a miss. I don't like how far forward the hood overhangs on the front and the material is a little thin. Will be sticking with my Sugoi hoodie and Marmot Hybrid.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think this is a personal issue. I like the hood. I think it adds another layer of warmth around your neck. A friend hates hoods for any mid layer because he doesn't like how it bunches around his neck. Now, more than two hoods becomes a problem.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January