• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I just looked it up, and they waive the change / rebooking fee if the schedule change is more than 30 minutes (which it is). If it is more than 2 hours, you can request a refund (it's not). It's not clear about fare difference, though. I'm hoping if flights in March are more expensive, they won't charge me the difference. Will let you know what I find.
Actually, the change fee is waived for medical. I just did the same with United. My dad went into the ER like 2 days prior to my flight date. I cancelled my trip immediately. (turned out not a serious problem, so I got to go on a different trip the following week).

I haven't tried to use the credits yet. But I supplied the necessary information and was told that would qualify for waiving the change fee. Will know when I need to use it.

I presume the arm break was non-displaced? If so, I wouldn't ski. In fact, I would walk carefully for the next 6 weeks. A fall that displace the break would means surgery to pin it back to position. That's a big risk to take.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
Actually, the change fee is waived for medical. I just did the same with United. My dad went into the ER like 2 days prior to my flight date. I cancelled my trip immediately. (turned out not a serious problem, so I got to go on a different trip the following week).

I haven't tried to use the credits yet. But I supplied the necessary information and was told that would qualify for waiving the change fee. Will know when I need to use it.

I presume the arm break was non-displaced? If so, I wouldn't ski. In fact, I would walk carefully for the next 6 weeks. A fall that displace the break would means surgery to pin it back to position. That's a big risk to take.

Good call on the medical aspect; I have a letter from the ortho saying I can't ski (although I wonder if United would say "well, you can still fly..."?).

The arm-break was indeed non-displaced. It's not fully broken through, but rather a fracture (crack?) partway through the head of the humerus (the round part where it connects to the scapula). Whether there is damage to the rotator cuff is unknown; the ortho said she thinks there's about a 30% chance of a tear, but won't order an MRI until the bone heals and I try PT.

I scheduled the follow-up (in 3 weeks) with a different ortho (same practice) that I have used before for my knee and really liked. So, it will be good to get a second opinion (but too late for the Vail trip). Your point about surgery is exactly what she told me. Basically not to ski because if I fall I run a high risk of displacing the break, needing surgery, and much higher risk of complications / poor response to PT.

I talk a big game, but usually get out west at least once or twice per season, so won't risk that for a trip to Vail, no matter how excited I was about it. Plus, I am only happy skiing if I go balls-to-the-wall, skiing and jumping off of gnarly terrain. Spending all that money to mellowly cruise groomers would just frustrate me.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Plus, I am only happy skiing if I go balls-to-the-wall, skiing and jumping off of gnarly terrain. Spending all that money to mellowly cruise groomers would just frustrate me.

Kindred spirit!

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Goose I am really enjoying this thread :).

So far this year, I have resisted pressure and put off booking my trips to the last minute, so to speak, and it has worked out well for me. I almost booked a middle of December trip to Utah! I have paid a bit more for not booking in advance, and certainly do not have the choice of accommodation that you have when you book in advance, but it has worked out well. I do have an extended family trip for Utah in March. Even if the snow does not pan out for that trip, being with family and getting to eat out in Park City and enjoy a hot tub will be very fun. There are many trips where the skiing is paramount. For this one, the skiing is just one of many things to be excited about :margarita:.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
I have a letter from the ortho saying I can't ski (although I wonder if United would say "well, you can still fly..."?).
Read the actual policy. I think you could very well qualify.

A few years back, a different airline, I had to test that due to crashing off my bike several weeks prior to my Christmas trip. No broken bones but several soft tissue injuries that makes skiing ill-adviced. A note from the doctor allowed me a full refund of the ticket.

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m thinking it makes no sense to cancel the trip and lose the money already committed. It seems to me the money that would be spent on an alternative trip this year, could easily be saved for another trip in another year, whether with family or a solo trip.

Worst case scenario: you go someplace absolutely beautiful and scenic, and don’t ski. You spend time with your family.
Best case scenario: you go someplace absolutely beautiful and scenic and have a great skiing powder. You spend time with your family.

Either way is a win.

This statement is from a while back in the thread, and it just makes sense. You chose T-Ride for a reason. Go. Enjoy. There will be opportunities to ski again in future years. Enjoy a nice vacation in a beautiful spot!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is just wrong.... View attachment 37418
Yea, and its funny how when the eastern more southern states get some snows and they are just not use it. The roads and highways and accidents and all associated with it when you watch the news. Its like a couple inches causes similar buzz and problems to what a 2 foot blizzard does in snowier places.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:popcorn:
How much has changed since the OP?
How much more will change in the coming months?

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
:popcorn:
How much has changed since the OP?
How much more will change in the coming months?

#1 not too much ......except that we are all that much older now...life goes too fast doesn't it?
#2 we'll have to wait and see....and fwiw we all be that much older again:) or perhaps aging require a bittersweet face. Hope the popcorn has fresh supply..but easy on the butter if we want to age well as this moves along.

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
#1 not too much ......except that we are all that much older now...life goes too fast doesn't it?
#2 we'll have to wait and see....and fwiw we all be that much older again:) or perhaps aging require a bittersweet face. Hope the popcorn has fresh supply..but easy on the butter if we want to age well as this moves along.

Did you cancel or change your trip?

Christy

Putting on skis
Skier
I had a great time in Sun Valley last week despite low snow. They too had been very dry, but the groomers were really nice (it did help they got a refresh our first day), then it magically snowed 7", which made all the difference. It ended up being a great trip. But looking at a season total comparison, SV even with their meager totals has done a lot better than Telluride, so maybe this isn't an apt comparison.

But, I decided to tell you anyway, just to keep the thread going. :popcorn:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
...and real butter wins!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
...and real butter wins!

Real butter is the only thing that was in the running, IMO!

(melt butter with some salt and honey, then drizzle and gently distribute ... om nom nom!)

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
We were due to be in Durango starting this Saturday, but cancelled due to poor coverage. Thankfully all our expenses were fully refundable/changeable. Instead we are going to head further inland to Crested Butte and Monarch, then head over to the Cottonwoods for four days. Even at this late hour, two days to go, we still have the capability to change destinations and chase the storms. When the number one priority in a trip is good skiing, it pays to be flexible.

SugarCube

Out on the slopes
Skier
Good call on the medical aspect; I have a letter from the ortho saying I can't ski (although I wonder if United would say "well, you can still fly..."?).

The arm-break was indeed non-displaced. It's not fully broken through, but rather a fracture (crack?) partway through the head of the humerus (the round part where it connects to the scapula). Whether there is damage to the rotator cuff is unknown; the ortho said she thinks there's about a 30% chance of a tear, but won't order an MRI until the bone heals and I try PT.

I scheduled the follow-up (in 3 weeks) with a different ortho (same practice) that I have used before for my knee and really liked. So, it will be good to get a second opinion (but too late for the Vail trip). Your point about surgery is exactly what she told me. Basically not to ski because if I fall I run a high risk of displacing the break, needing surgery, and much higher risk of complications / poor response to PT.

A few years ago, I got injured on Day 2 of a ski camp in Jackson Hole (foot/ankle injury). I'd flown from CVG with a stop-over in SLC. Hobbling along through the airports with my boot bag and other luggage on 1.5 feet didn't sound feasible so I ended up driving home with my husband. Delta was great about refunding the unused portion of my ticket. I don't remember having to supply medical documentation but knowing me I probably did anyway.

Sure hope you heal quickly!

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier