• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I find it surprising how many people are telling Goose to chill out when he seems pretty chill already, and he is just being honest about a little disappointment. Come on, you've never been disappointed when a ski trip isn't shaping up so well? Tell me you didn't mind, not in the least little bit, and I'll call you a liar.

A friend and I have an acronym - Not Yet A Buddha. It means we still get irked by the realities of the world. Somehow we haven't quite managed to develop perfect equanimity toward every possible situation. I'm pretty impressed by how many people here have apparently, based on their advice to Goose, managed to transcend this phase.

Well, it’s really that he keep agonizing/chilling/processing his potential disappointment several times over. How long is this thread now?

He hasn’t really even had the opportunity to be disappointed yet. Or pleasantly surprised. Let’s see what March brings.

at_nyc

Getting off the lift
Pass Pulled
how many people are telling Goose to chill out when he seems pretty chill already
Does this sound "pretty chill"?
but if they are worst case...

When I had to cancel my trip to Colorado and ate the $200 change fee, did I feel bumped? Of course I did, for a few hours..

Granted, that's only 1/10 of what goose had to eat if he cancels. But that's the point. people are telling him to chill not so much for his psychological benefit. They're trying to tell him he will likely come out worse off by changing!

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Well, it’s really that he keep agonizing/chilling/processing his potential disappointment several times over. How long is this thread now?

He hasn’t really even had the opportunity to be disappointed yet. Or pleasantly surprised. Let’s see what March brings.

Other people keep chiming in. He's pretty much held the same line since ... maybe page 3?

hespeler

Putting on skis
Skier
Goose, check out the link below:

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

The forecaster put up a picture of a skier at Telluride yesterday skiing some advanced terrain. At least it looked like it was advanced. Long term forecast looks pretty good too.

I'm starting to feel better about my last week in Feb trip and you have 2 extra weeks than I do...

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Goose, check out the link below:

http://opensnow.com/dailysnow/colorado

The forecaster put up a picture of a skier at Telluride yesterday skiing some advanced terrain. At least it looked like it was advanced. Long term forecast looks pretty good too.

I'm starting to feel better about my last week in Feb trip and you have 2 extra weeks than I do...
Well, I hope so for both our sake.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier

respectfully, so what the thread has kept going. It gets updated as the weather moves along and gets further discussed as more opinions and info chime in. Others in here are also traveling to telluride and I believe finding some interest in the thread too.

Even been talk of other resorts and their snow situations as well as peoples past experiences in unusually poor snow years being shared. No harm to anyone going on here. A bunch here seem to also be contributing and playing this out like an ongoing story in anticipation of seeing how it all ends up at the end as for what I do and just how telluride ends up doing. Im curious to see how this all ends as well even though im the one in the story..lol

Not a fan of that? That ok..... just let it go. No harm in that either. I think a number have found it a little interesting and even a little good. As I wait for my trip and/or decisions I simply like to come here and update, add to it, and respond to others in the mean time. Yes given the poor weather for the most part this season (in fact record like) there is by default going to be a good share of negative but thats the nature of the concern for what has happened in the first place. Im uncertain what i'll do at this point. In the mean time as Im waiting I'll talk here about it because I like to and as long as no one is getting hurt. No harm in that imo. Sometimes i'll agonize and sometimes I wont. Mostly at this current time I am simply waiting while also very strongly hoping (begging) for big storms to change a lot of things. No harm in that to anyone either. At least I don't think so.

Last edited:
TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
And so. I called over to telluride (my booking agency there) just to get an idea as part of weighing my cancelation options if its something I decide to do and wanted to know where I stand or if any help was available.. According to the rep I spoke with, he (they all) have been strictly informed not to accommodate any sort of refunds or waiving of deposits nor any rain check booking for next season. Said that they have been bombarded with similar calls and people have been accommodated but it simply got to be too much. That said if I look at bookings at the same time I am going there is very little left and are pretty much sold out. So I assume many the cancelations were as of late only. unfortunately I spent more money on a nicer booking (for different reasons I felt it was worth it) but so my deposit is higher than it could have been otherwise.

On another note the person I spoke to said its the worst he has seen in the 25 years he has been there snow wise. Even worse than 76/77. Were it not for more snow making they wouldn't have even opened this season.

Now I get things can change, but as a few have been saying in the thread, even he said it would take a whole lot and wouldn't expect any of the bowls to open unless there was like a 3 foot dump or a whole heck of a lot of constant smaller storms (which is not likely). I mean yea who can predict for certain? but only to go buy averages.

Some snow expected later this week but we'll see what happens as usual. Good luck to those traveling there soon. All anyone can do is hope and wait and wish good luck comes our ways.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I can't advise you. I will say that Breck has been skiing great the last couple of weeks, with more on the way. It's still low for this time in the season, but the fresh snow has been glorious.

Breck lines are pretty bad on weekends, but the town hits a lot of marks for cute mountain town feel.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Look at it this way --

If you go and the conditions are below average... and you still have a great time... that's a win. Because when you go again, odds are you can expect something even better. It makes it easier to sell/convince others of a future trip.

On the flip side, if you go, and the conditions are way above average.... well it is that much harder to beat. By going when it 'sucks' you delay becoming a snob until later. Or maybe it's already too late for you? ;)

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
Remember, Goose: Man makes plans, and the gods laugh.

I have airfare, non-refundable lux accommodations ($700+ per night, but paid with hotel points), and lift tickets for two booked for Vail Jan 25-30th. We've arranged someone to watch our two small children for 6 days.

I've been watching the Colorado weather thread and this thread for several weeks. Checking Opensnow every single day. Following all of Monique's and Ron's pictures. Cheering and calling friends when the latest round of storms opened up the back bowls and Blue Sky. Eagerly watching Joel's forecast for late January storms. Running, lifting weights, and skiing at the local hill to get in the best possible shape to maximize the trip. Dreaming of epic powder days.

We went to the small local mountain in West Virginia last weekend for a family ski trip and warm up for the Vail trip. My wife and I both spoke about the fact that the worst thing that could happen would be one of us getting hurt before the Vail trip, so agreed on-piste only, and no park skiing.

At the end of the first day (of a 3 day trip), my binding (admittedly 12 year old Markers, which are known for pre-releasing) pre-released while I was making GS turns on a steep section of a double black, which was icy. Lower body was ok, but I came down hard on my shoulder, and couldn't lift my arm. I sat the rest of the trip out, and just got x-rays this morning, that confirmed a broken upper arm (I may also have a torn rotator cuff). Ortho said absolutely no skiing for 7-8 weeks. So, now I'm looking at a best case scenario of maybe rescheduling for mid-late March (at some cost), and a worst case scenario of losing about $5k.

Takeaways?

- I'd give a lot to not have my arm in a sling facing possible shoulder surgery (if the rotator cuff is torn) and PT, and instead just be worried about being stuck to groomers.

- I'm seriously reconsidering putting so many resources (read hotel points) into a high end hotel at a ski area. We like lux hotels and have stayed at some really fantastic (and expensive) ones over the years (Park Hyatt Mallorca, St Regis Princeville, Andaz Mayakoba, etc), but a broken arm doesn't ruin a beach vacation like it does a ski vacation.

- I'm also reconsidering booking so far in advance, and instead trying to storm chase more. Airfare is about the same price now for DC-Denver (cheap) just 2 weeks out, as it was when we booked many months ago. Really, the only reason I committed early is that my wife needs lots of notice at her job to take a full week off work, we had to find coverage for our children, and I wanted to use hotel points (hard to find last minute availability).

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Lower body was ok, but I came down hard on my shoulder, and couldn't lift my arm. I sat the rest of the trip out, and just got x-rays this morning, that confirmed a broken upper arm (I may also have a torn rotator cuff). Ortho said absolutely no skiing for 7-8 weeks. So, now I'm looking at a best case scenario of maybe rescheduling for mid-late March (at some cost), and a worst case scenario of losing about $5k.

Oh, no! That's awful.

(I wonder if a typical Colorado ortho would agree "no skiing.")

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier

I have airfare, non-refundable lux accommodations ($700+ per night, but paid with hotel points), and lift tickets for two booked for Vail Jan 25-30th. We've arranged someone to watch our two small children for 6 days.

I've been watching the Colorado weather thread and this thread for several weeks. Checking Opensnow every single day. Following all of Monique's and Ron's pictures. Cheering and calling friends when the latest round of storms opened up the back bowls and Blue Sky. Eagerly watching Joel's forecast for late January storms. Running, lifting weights, and skiing at the local hill to get in the best possible shape to maximize the trip. Dreaming of epic powder days.

We went to the small local mountain in West Virginia last weekend for a family ski trip and warm up for the Vail trip. My wife and I both spoke about the fact that the worst thing that could happen would be one of us getting hurt before the Vail trip, so agreed on-piste only, and no park skiing.

At the end of the first day (of a 3 day trip), my binding (admittedly 12 year old Markers, which are known for pre-releasing) pre-released while I was making GS turns on a steep section of a double black, which was icy. Lower body was ok, but I came down hard on my shoulder, and couldn't lift my arm. I sat the rest of the trip out, and just got x-rays this morning, that confirmed a broken upper arm (I may also have a torn rotator cuff). Ortho said absolutely no skiing for 7-8 weeks. So, now I'm looking at a best case scenario of maybe rescheduling for mid-late March (at some cost), and a worst case scenario of losing about $5k.

Takeaways?

- I'd give a lot to not have my arm in a sling facing possible shoulder surgery (if the rotator cuff is torn) and PT, and instead just be worried about being stuck to groomers.

- I'm seriously reconsidering putting so many resources (read hotel points) into a high end hotel at a ski area. We like lux hotels and have stayed at some really fantastic (and expensive) ones over the years (Park Hyatt Mallorca, St Regis Princeville, Andaz Mayakoba, etc), but a broken arm doesn't ruin a beach vacation like it does a ski vacation.

- I'm also reconsidering booking so far in advance, and instead trying to storm chase more. Airfare is about the same price now for DC-Denver (cheap) just 2 weeks out, as it was when we booked many months ago. Really, the only reason I committed early is that my wife needs lots of notice at her job to take a full week off work, we had to find coverage for our children, and I wanted to use hotel points (hard to find last minute availability).

That's no bueno. You seem like a savvy traveler - you should be able to push your "points" trip later or defer - I did for an early Dec trip to Vail. Also, you would only need to pay change fee and any fare differential on air - unless some weird fare basis.

Totally agree with last minute - but in a good year - be prepared to maybe stay at a less preferred lodging - the good ones get booked up. Or maybe you have to shell out for the suite.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
That's no bueno. You seem like a savvy traveler - you should be able to push your "points" trip later or defer - I did for an early Dec trip to Vail. Also, you would only need to pay change fee and any fare differential on air - unless some weird fare basis.

Totally agree with last minute - but in a good year - be prepared to maybe stay at a less preferred lodging - the good ones get booked up. Or maybe you have to shell out for the suite.

Yeah, the booking is at the Hotel Talisa (which just opened, and used to be the Vail Cascade). I have Platinum status with Starwood, which hopefully will help, but the last cancellation date was Dec 26th. There's no option to buy trip insurance on award stays (that I know of). I've already called SPG and they have sent the hotel an email asking them to either refund the points or let me move the reservation.

Airfare should be interesting. Outbound is on Southwest, so I'm ok there. I almost never fly them, so it's pure luck I made the reservation this time. Return is on United, which would normally be nonrefundable (and change fee would be more than the 1-way tickets are worth). BUT, they changed our flight schedule (moved it up an hour), so I THINK they have to waive change fees. Will find out soon when I call them; I'm first waiting on the hotel's answer, because that's where the vast majority of my deposit is tied up (about $2400 worth of points, or $3500 worth of cash).

Past trips have been more budget accommodations. Think Holiday Inn Express midvale for Utah, Snowking for Jackson Hole. Although we did have a slopside suite last year in Whistler. I'm thinking for skiing we're going to go back to more days out west but cheaper lodging, and save the hotel points for the beach.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
Oh, no! That's awful.

(I wonder if a typical Colorado ortho would agree "no skiing.")

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. The ortho was young (late 20's?), and part of me wonders if she's just giving me the official / CYA answer. I asked about casting it, but it's way too far up my arm (it's broken basically at the shoulder socket). If it was a wrist or something, I would put on a cast and go. I also asked if there was some other way to protect it (a brace or something), and she said the shoulder is just too large of an area for that to work well.

The other problem is the pain and lack of range of motion / strength. I can't raise it more than a few inches, and if I try, I get searing pain. Granted, I'm only 72 hours post-injury, so it will probably be better by next week. But if it's not, not only would I not be able to pole with my right arm, my balance would be way off. Plus, I couldn't take any kind of jolt, so no bumps, no jump turns in the steeps, and no dropping off cornices. All my favorite things...

My wife suggested we take the trip just as a romantic vacation and not ski. But I know myself too well, and I'd wind up on the slopes, especially if we got fresh snow. It would be like putting an alcoholic in a bar (apologies if that offends anyone); I couldn't resist. And if she forced me too, I would be really crabby / grouchy. I'd rather not go and not blow the vacation time plus the extra $$$ on food, activities, rental cars, etc.

Right now my first choice is to heal up and push the trip to mid-March, which could work out...

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yeah, the booking is at the Hotel Talisa (which just opened, and used to be the Vail Cascade). I have Platinum status with Starwood, which hopefully will help, but the last cancellation date was Dec 26th. There's no option to buy trip insurance on award stays (that I know of). I've already called SPG and they have sent the hotel an email asking them to either refund the points or let me move the reservation.

Airfare should be interesting. Outbound is on Southwest, so I'm ok there. I almost never fly them, so it's pure luck I made the reservation this time. Return is on United, which would normally be nonrefundable (and change fee would be more than the 1-way tickets are worth). BUT, they changed our flight schedule (moved it up an hour), so I THINK they have to waive change fees. Will find out soon when I call them; I'm first waiting on the hotel's answer, because that's where the vast majority of my deposit is tied up (about $2400 worth of points, or $3500 worth of cash).

Past trips have been more budget accommodations. Think Holiday Inn Express midvale for Utah, Snowking for Jackson Hole. Although we did have a slopside suite last year in Whistler. I'm thinking for skiing we're going to go back to more days out west but cheaper lodging, and save the hotel points for the beach.
United policy for economy (if that's what seats your flying) is that you can change things if they move your flights more than X amount of time. But the origin and destination have to be the same. As for straight out non refundable tickets, they do give you a full credit for travel to use within one year but when you do go to use that credit they charge 200 per for the reservation so its imo the same as saying the cost of changing is 200 per. But that might be based on the purchase price of the original booking and perhaps that amount varies based on that purchase price.

That's what I would lose. Again I wouldn't lose it but would have to pay that much per when rebooking with the full credit from those same tickets. My non refundable deposit for the accommodations I chose in T was 900. So Im looking at 1700 loss eventually and when all said and done. That's a hard pill to swallow. If its something I would feel is needed to do I would just have to look at that 1700 as being part of the trip expense for my new destination. But still that's a lot to swallow. That's why I think Im going to be stuck and hope for the best by March.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Yeah, I wondered the same thing. The ortho was young (late 20's?), and part of me wonders if she's just giving me the official / CYA answer. I asked about casting it, but it's way too far up my arm (it's broken basically at the shoulder socket). If it was a wrist or something, I would put on a cast and go. I also asked if there was some other way to protect it (a brace or something), and she said the shoulder is just too large of an area for that to work well.

The other problem is the pain and lack of range of motion / strength. I can't raise it more than a few inches, and if I try, I get searing pain. Granted, I'm only 72 hours post-injury, so it will probably be better by next week. But if it's not, not only would I not be able to pole with my right arm, my balance would be way off. Plus, I couldn't take any kind of jolt, so no bumps, no jump turns in the steeps, and no dropping off cornices. All my favorite things...

My wife suggested we take the trip just as a romantic vacation and not ski. But I know myself too well, and I'd wind up on the slopes, especially if we got fresh snow. It would be like putting an alcoholic in a bar (apologies if that offends anyone); I couldn't resist. And if she forced me too, I would be really crabby / grouchy. I'd rather not go and not blow the vacation time plus the extra $$$ on food, activities, rental cars, etc.

Right now my first choice is to heal up and push the trip to mid-March, which could work out...

I'm just picturing sitting next to someone on a chair lift, and they jostle you. Ouch!

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier

Takeaways?

That's too bad. Sorry to hear and I feel for you. Hope things work out well some how even if down the road.
Yea, committing early is just a need for many families for a variety of important reasons.
Air fair is strange. Changes by the minute and I actually mean that literally it does. But in general usually the closer you get the harder it becomes to find the similar deals and if that time is a big travel time (like spring break or other similar) you can almost bet the fair increases as you get closer and can even get ridiculously expensive.
Good luck with the arm and the whole things you got going on.

Reisen

Booting up
Skier
United policy for economy (if that's what seats your flying) is that you can change things if they move your flights more than X amount of time. But the origin and destination have to be the same. As for straight out non refundable tickets, they do give you a full credit for travel to use within one year but when you do go to use that credit they charge 200 per for the reservation so its imo the same as saying the cost of changing is 200 per. But that might be based on the purchase price of the original booking and perhaps that amount varies based on that purchase price.

That's what I would lose. Again I wouldn't lose it but would have to pay that much per when rebooking with the full credit from those same tickets. My non refundable deposit for the accommodations I chose in T was 900. So Im looking at 1700 loss eventually and when all said and done. That's a hard pill to swallow. If its something I would feel is needed to do I would just have to look at that 1700 as being part of the trip expense for my new destination. But still that's a lot to swallow. That's why I think Im going to be stuck and hope for the best by March.

I just looked it up, and they waive the change / rebooking fee if the schedule change is more than 30 minutes (which it is). If it is more than 2 hours, you can request a refund (it's not). It's not clear about fare difference, though. I'm hoping if flights in March are more expensive, they won't charge me the difference. Will let you know what I find.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I just looked it up, and they waive the change / rebooking fee if the schedule change is more than 30 minutes (which it is). If it is more than 2 hours, you can request a refund (it's not). It's not clear about fare difference, though. I'm hoping if flights in March are more expensive, they won't charge me the difference. Will let you know what I find.
yea but that's a reschedule of the same origin and destination airports. That's good for another time , next day, a month later, whatever. But when talking changing the airports it becomes another thing. I am believe so.

Last edited:

Sponsor