• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow this may be the GOAT of thread drift LOL!!

Detroit Pizza is usually square/rectangle, cooked in a well seasoned pan that is coated with oil and cooked at high temps. We use brick cheese and whole milk mozzarella, sharp pepperoni and sauce on top. There are a number of very successful commercial pizza chains that have come out of Detroit. Jets Pizza, Dominos Pizza, Little Caesars Pizza, Buddy's Pizza, and Hungry Howie's are all Metro Detroit companies.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Detroit Pizza is usually square/rectangle, cooked in a well seasoned pan that is coated with oil and cooked at high temps.
That sounds like Brown Dog to me.

James

Out There
Instructor
"Detroit style Pizza" seems to have been a trend in NY(Brooklyn) for a handful of years now. If not Detroit style, "Midwest style" pizza is what they call it. There are a couple of very popular Brooklyn based pizzerias responsible for this trend:

https://www.pizzalovesemily.com
https://www.speedyromeo.com/

I've never been blown away by Emily. People still line up early to get in. They supposedly have the "Best" burger ever. They only serve 25 a night. I tried it and it was good, but not mind blowing. The actual temperature of the meat patty was a bit low. The fries were amazing though.

Speedy Romeo has am amazing crust, other elements are good, but not earth-shattering. The vibe inside the BK location is very cozy and inviting. They grill everything over wood. The smell is intoxicating. I'd recommend it, especially in the fall and winter.

...But now that I know it's all fake, according to all the real Detroiters and Midwesterners here, I'm going to go in there to interrogate them! hahaha.
Interesting. I used to go to Patsy's, later called Patsy Grimaldi's then just Grimaldi's because of the lawsuit, in Dumbo. Back when Patsy was there smoking a cigar. Ate next to Mayor Giuliani one time shortly after he was on Saturday Night Live. It was arguably the best, by far in the city. You had Lombardi's on Spring st in Manhattan. Not much else at that level. Basically a neopolitan style.

If you're ever near Madison Sq garden, there's a pizza place called Supreme (I think) on 8th ave. In the block just south of the post office, west side. Looks like a dive. It's been there since the 60's. I wouldn't put it in a best of anything category, but their upside down slice was shockingly good. I'd go there now if I could and I know there's better. Something about getting quality in a dive location that's appealing.

Basically a grandmas square style thin sicilian with the sauce over the cheese.
This was a few years ago. I wonder if they're surviving the neighborhood changes. They're building a whole new city in Hudson Yards the back side of the post office.

WC68

Booting up
Skier
I have no idea of the provenance of Detroit pizza....all I know is that I like BD Pizza.

Last ski day today. We’ve had a good time despite zero measurable snow for a week. Just been skiing groomers which has been fun on narrow skis and when it softens up by mid day.

A few highlights: my kid and another in her ski school class got taken out by an out of control woman. Didn’t realize how serious it was till 24 hours after the fact when my daughter finally went into detail. Ski patrol was called, and her info was taken down. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. How someone runs into a bunch of kids on slopes that large and wide boggles my mind.

Wife got new boots from Bootdoctors. That was unplanned, but seems to be a game changer for my wife.

Daughter (8yr old in 2 weeks) finally earned her ski poles yesterday. We had planned to all ski together today, but the kid is so fired up to now have ski poles, she begged to go back to school. She started the week in level 2, moved up to 4’s by the end of the first day, and is now in level 5, doing double blues including bumps. No doubt she will be better skier than her parents next year. Wish she had the opportunity to ski on a regular basis.

Ed: well she just changed her mind. No school. Family ski day,,,yippee

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online