• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

home fix for scratched topsheet on Blizzard Black Pearl 88's ?

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
better half got the above last year and is sad that topsheet got scratched, she thinks someone ran over them, or maybe she crossed her tails:

the scratches are small (max 1cm) and superficial.

with this material they've exposed fibers.

on other skis that have had this kind of damage, where I was concerned that they might have created a path into the interior of the ski (for water or other badness) I fixed them with Devcon Plastic Steel epoxy. Those patches are still working after over a decade. I didn't know better and didn't ask. (trivia, the Plastic Steel has way better adhesion than the JB clear weld epoxy I just used on some hiking boot soles, and its hardness is more interesting than the JB's flexibility.) Cosmetics, unf. the better half wants clear, not dark gray like the Devcon.

with all that background (I love this website; readers will notice I tend to give a lot of background...):
  1. do we need to be concerned about the integrity of the ski box being compromised, by this scratch, on this ski ?
  2. what are those fibers sticking up ? Carbon ? Blizzard's website is marketing drivel vs. specs (please manufacturers, keep the marketing dept. pablum in the 'description' tab and make the 'spec' tab a real spec list ? there are people out there who want, and can use, the data) so all I read is that the ski has carbon stuffs and a "duratec" topsheet. Pardon my ignorance if I should know what that is. A Ford engine ?
  3. is there a home remedy for this ? anything in the neighborhood of epoxy, or, Something Completely Different ?
Thanks all !

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
there is no structural reason to fix that.

Dwight

Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Surface wound, like scrapping your skin but no blood. There is nothing to epoxy.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Only fix is to sacarfice them to Ullr!

TS
D

Don Canard

Booting up
Skier
:margarita:I like this place... OK, girlfriend loves her pretty new skis and was worried they were broke. I'll tell her it's all OK. Are the fuzzies carbon ? Totally space-age. Razor worked, we had prepped it for surgery and then I told her I could ask here first before breaking out the glue.

Last question I'm still interested in tho - in general, if a ski gets damaged such that it appears to have penetrated for example a sidewall (what I fixed with Devcon on my 7SKs) so that I'm suspicious whether the box is no longer watertight, is there a best practice to fix that at home ? I love that Plastic Steel stuff, but if your only tool is a hammer, well, you know...

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
that isnt arent carbon, if you saw carbon youd actually have issues.

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
I ignore this stuff, but if you are fussy; scrape of the hairs and you are good to go. If cosmetics are important get a sticker your girl friend likes and place over the scrape.

Rostapher

All Praise Ullr
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
.Last question I'm still interested in tho - in general, if a ski gets damaged such that it appears to have penetrated for example a sidewall (what I fixed with Devcon on my 7SKs) so that I'm suspicious whether the box is no longer watertight, is there a best practice to fix that at home ? I love that Plastic Steel stuff, but if your only tool is a hammer, well, you know...

I’ve had good luck with a cheap clear two part epoxy on older skis. Is it recommended? Probably not, but it’s what I had (same hammer situation as you) I’ve repaired several chunks out of these skis, including the time a snowboarder took me out and put a cm deep and several cm long gouge out of the top cap. The chunk was hanging on by a plastic thread, so I first glued the chunk back into the ski and then smeared epoxy over the top as well, so it wouldn’t leak. It’s not that pretty, so it probably wouldn’t work for your gf’s skis, but it got the job done, plus I like my skis’ battle scars!

Attachments

• B404DBF0-6730-428E-8F8F-912BEAEA4BAA.png
    B404DBF0-6730-428E-8F8F-912BEAEA4BAA.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 5

Sponsor