• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
#3 @ Snow Summit, CA 2.10.20
IMG_20200210_134324168_HDR.jpg

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Chair 1 49° North midway up. It offers you about 1000' vertical of trees, glades, groomers, or bumps pretty much all with a sustained grade, all dark blues to a light double black. Often the best snow on the mountain. with about a 50' run out. This is the typical crowd. They have 5 fixed doubles and 1 fixed quad.

I do like my speed bump, you may not so try somewhere else (You kids stay off of my snow :decisions:).

20180102_122155.jpg

James

Out There
Instructor
A picture from the Challenger double at Big Sky - December 2012. Busy place huh? Cold day. View attachment 31651
Have not been back since moving to Idaho. Heard it has been replaced?
I believe it’s been replaced.
Loved that chair. Slow enough you could smoke a whole clove cigarette, even with all the time spent getting it out and lit. That fixed grip over in the beginner area near the hotel was even longer. Almost a two cig chair.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I believe it’s been replaced.
Loved that chair. Slow enough you could smoke a whole clove cigarette, even with all the time spent getting it out and lit. That fixed grip over in the beginner area near the hotel was even longer. Almost a two cig chair.

You would love the fixed grip Burfield quad at Sun Peaks. It is over 10k feet in length and takes 22 minutes. bottom to top. Best part is that most non locals ride it once and never come back AND it accesses the best terrain at the resort.

Bolder

Out on the slopes
Skier
You would love the fixed grip Burfield quad at Sun Peaks. It is over 10k feet in length and takes 22 minutes. bottom to top. Best part is that most non locals ride it once and never come back AND it accesses the best terrain at the resort.

A 22-minute chairlift? No, thanks. I'd freeze to death. There's a lot about skiing that was better in the 70s and 80s, but I can't argue with a heated, detachable 6-pack with headrests, a pull-down wind/cold plexiglas shield and armrests.
When I was a kid skiing in the Poconos and Northeast I would dream about pressure-activated seat warmers.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
This is the Multorpor (Multnomah Oregon Portland) lift at Mt Hood Skibowl. It was installed in 1961 . It's a fixed grip center pole double made by Riblett. Still running. All of the lifts are fixed grip center pole Riblett chairs (4 of them). The oldest is from 1961 and the most modern one was installed in 1975 .
Skibowl-snow-lift.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online

• dbostedo
    Asst. Gathermeister
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid