• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In trying to help @Mendieta pick out skis for his son and thinking "If only Volkl offered the Yumi in a men's model..." What ski, boot, binding you feel are missing from a line? I am not askiing abotu fabricating something that does not exist but where a manufacturer has a hole and it could be easily filled. Like Look making a Pivot 15, they have the metal shell from the 18 already, infact they already have the springs. Product I see that is missing...

Look Pivot with an 85mm brake. We are seeing more and more 80-85mm wide skis offered flat, Look offers brakes from 75/_/95/115/130. Yes there is a hole at 105 but that is not as important as an 85mm brake because you jsut don't get the edge angles and "braking out" is not as important in soft snow as it is on hard snow

Head Supershape MAX, Offer a higher performance Supershape Speed or Magnum with the Tyrolia Race Plate and FF binding.

On that note, at least offer all system skis flat, this isn't just Head. High end skier have, in many cases an unhealthy, loyalty to a certain binding. Offer your carving skis flat so people can put on wha they want. I knwo you are decreasing margins a bit and confusing dealers but you can also make these as special order items too. By offering these, it puts the specialty back into Specialty Ski Shop"

Tecnica Mach 130 (or R9.3) in a 21.5 shell. You offered an Inferno 130 in a 21.5 a few years back, obviously there was a market for them, those skiers need new boots again, bring back a stiff boot in a 21.5.

Binding manufactures, make all..ALL binding flat or system with a 0-2mm heel to toe height difference. Be consistent and take the variables out of setting the customer up with a correct stance.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Binding manufactures, make all..ALL binding flat or system with a 0-2mm heel to toe height difference. Be consistent and take the variables out of setting the customer up with a correct stance.

This, absolutely.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
All boot manufacturers made performance boots in wide lasts - particularly around the 6th toe. - we don't all want a rec comfort boot.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
In trying to help @Mendieta pick out skis for his son and thinking "If only Volkl offered the Yumi in a men's model..." What ski, boot, binding you feel are missing from a line?

Up in Epic there was an insightful post from an industry insider (I think from Blizzard). His main point was that their skis, at different sizes, have very different characteristics (shorter -> softer, so to speak).

Anyways, I've been looking for some time now for skis for either me or my kids, and it seems like recreational teens are a bit of problem as they grow: they learn at a great pace, but they are typically not as heavy and strong as an adult their height. People tend to recommend one ski level down: a beginner adult ski for an intermediate teen, roughly speaking.

But I wonder if what is missing is the concept of a teen ski. What would be wrong with that? Cheers!

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Up in Epic there was an insightful post for an industry insider (I think from Blizzard). His main point was that their skis, at different sizes, hace very different characteristics (shorter -> softer, so to speak).

Anyways, I've been looking for some time now for skis for either me or my kids, and it seems like recreational teens are a bit of problem as they grow: they learn at a great pace, but they are typically not as heavy and strong as an adult their height. People tend to recommend one ski level down: a beginner adult ski for an intermediate teen, roughly speaking.

But I wonder if what is missing is the concept of a teen ski. What would be wrong with that? Cheers!
Most of the teen, or as we call then "Tweener" skis tend to be more off piste or park oriented. That begs to add to this list, a technical ski for tweeners?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Teenage boy boot: large, narrow, soft, and not too $$.

I think the blue Nordica jr boot fits the bill... can't think of the model name at the moment..

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
One shorter length for the Nordica Soul Rider. What would that be... a 162-3?

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I think the blue Nordica jr boot fits the bill... can't think of the model name at the moment..

There was a Nordica jr boot back when my son first hit 27 or 28, I can't remember which, but finding it was a godsend. Sounds like they are still doing the junior boot in a large mondo? So many boys sprout big feet before they gain weight and strength. I called it a teen boot, but he probably wasn't that old yet. Anyway, that was the only one we could find, it was probably 8 or 9 years ago, and honestly I'm not sure if other companies are doing it now or not. But it seems like a no-brainer to me.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think having too much name carry over from year to year can be confusing. At least call is v2 or something when you have significant changes or construction diffs from year to year.

Or by the same token changing model names when. It much has changed. Also confusing.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Just scrap system bindings - create your own hole. Has anyone ever said " oh I wish this flat ski were available with a hostage system"

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just scrap system bindings - create your own hole. Has anyone ever said " oh I wish this flat ski were available with a hostage system"
Good point, I can think of two systems that I thought "Boy, IF ONLY this had X system binding....." The Vist Speedlock Race and the Kastle KTi15 bindings.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
There was a Nordica jr boot back when my son first hit 27 or 28, I can't remember which, but finding it was a godsend. Sounds like they are still doing the junior boot in a large mondo? So many boys sprout big feet before they gain weight and strength. I called it a teen boot, but he probably wasn't that old yet. Anyway, that was the only one we could find, it was probably 8 or 9 years ago, and honestly I'm not sure if other companies are doing it now or not. But it seems like a no-brainer to me.

Yeah, I think up to 27'ish... I can't remember.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I understand why there isn't a market incentive for them but....

I would love to be able to buy a decent demo binding (a la AAAttack or Griffon) with spare plates from the manufacturer. Especially if they included easily swappable brakes in various sizes. Sell me a "quiver killer" binding package for $250 with a good clamp, 3 sets of plates, and 3 brake sizes.

(And yes I know about inserts. But mounting them is much trickier, requires new inserts every time, and I still can't necessarily adjust to all my friends BSLs.)

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I understand why there isn't a market incentive for them but....

I would love to be able to buy a decent demo binding (a la AAAttack or Griffon) with spare plates from the manufacturer. Especially if they included easily swappable brakes in various sizes. Sell me a "quiver killer" binding package for $250 with a good clamp, 3 sets of plates, and 3 brake sizes.

(And yes I know about inserts. But mounting them is much trickier, requires new inserts every time, and I still can't necessarily adjust to all my friends BSLs.)
We have come close twice, Vist Speedlocks and Blizzard IQ/IQ-Max

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I think having too much name carry over from year to year can be confusing. At least call is v2 or something when you have significant changes or construction diffs from year to year.

Or by the same token changing model names when. It much has changed. Also confusing.
This is very true. The Mantra is a great example. That ski went from a moderate flex 94mm ski to 96mm then 98mm getting progressively stiffer then to 100mm zero camber ski. I cannot tell me how many times I could have someone come asking abotu a Mantra because their friend had one or they had skied it once and liked it. I would always have to ask..which Mantra, because each generation was different.

Sponsor

Staff online