• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hi

I wanted to learn more about the Blizzard Bonafide in particular if there were changes to the design over the model years?

I did google search and didn't find anything.

Can someone give a brief history overview of this ski?

Thanks!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have had almost every incarceration of the Bonafide. My very first pair were actually pre product to the point that they had 85mm for the waist on the graphics. Those are still my favorite pair and as someone who usually unloads skis pretty rapidly, these are one of the few pair I have kept. To that point the first year Bonafides were still my favorite of all the generations. As the skis went through the years, they got stiffer much to Blizzard saying they didn't. About 4 years in, they added carbon to the tip which supposedly dampened the ski but it was more evolutionary than revoltionary. Most recently, they strayed away from the "flipcore" marketing and went more mainstream with the rise, shape and shorter more rounded tip and less of the gradual tip rise of the earlier skis. The upcoming collection is indeed all new in every aspect and will be talking more about them in the fall

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
FWIW, I think the 20-21 is very good.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I've owned 7 pair since 2012, the changes made were not to noticeable up until the 2017 model, (sidecut & rocker, I believe ) completely different ski IMHO, not for me.
Im reading better reviews for the 2021 model, but have not skied them yet.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
I picked up a pristine pair of the original ones for $70 and tossed some Attack 13 demos on them. I figured I'd flip them after trying them out once or twice, but I'm not going to flip them, they ski fantastic for cheap and I'm not convinced that anything newer is going to be that much better without spending at least triple my $220 investment.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I've owned 7 pair since 2012, the changes made were not to noticeable up until the 2017 model, (sidecut & rocker, I believe ) completely different ski IMHO, not for me.
Im reading better reviews for the 2021 model, but have not skied them yet.
What about the sidecut and rocker of the 2017s- did you not like, in how you ski them? So I'm clear, these are the the ones with a kind of red wood-grain topsheet, big bull in the middle, and visible carbon scoops in the tips and tail?

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
The company just sent me this.

The Bonafide ski was first produced in 2011 and is still going until this day. 2011-2014 the ski just got a cosmetic change, then in 2015-2020 we change the graphic as well as added carbon fiber to the tip and tail to reduce chatter. Now in 2021 we have changed the core, we are using what we call a Trueblend Wood core which has high density and low density wood stringers which allow you to have better control and the ski will flex precisely. Also we change the sidecut on the ski to allow it to ski better as well. See this video:

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
What about the sidecut and rocker of the 2017s- did you not like, in how you ski them?
For me, the models I skied after the 2016 model felt like a completely different ski, not as stable, noticeable tip flop, & less "beefy "

So I'm clear, these are the the ones with a kind of red wood-grain topsheet, big bull in the middle, and visible carbon scoops in the tips and tail?
They made a few with minor graphic changes I believe.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.59.28 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.43.47 AM.png 2013 ?
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.42.00 AM.png 2014 ?
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.33.37 AM.png 2015 & 2016 ?
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 8.34.02 AM.png 2017- 2019 ?
I may be off on year models a bit, maybe @Philpug can clarify.

Last edited:

Daves not here

Getting off the lift
Skier
I wish I could have been on the OG Bonafide - sounds like I would have liked it from everything I have read. I have the 2015/2016 First carbon tip and tail version. Fantastic ski. I have demo'd all versions since and none have felt as good to me as my carbon version. It is interesting to see that the OG ski would probably hold up in todays world but the need to constantly improve sometimes leaves some really good product designs behind. Not just in skis but across the board.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

AlpedHuez

Skier
OK so the last one you liked was the 2016 red one with scooped (not slanted) black carbon tips? That's all I really want to know :) . As I understand it, the construction has remained the same since then, with one change to slightly reduce the radius, from 2017/18, and different topsheet graphics every year. The last one that could be called the "old" Bones was 2015, pictured here in SkiGearTV YouTube video.

For me, the models I skied after the 2016 model felt like a completely different ski, not as stable, noticeable tip flop, & less "beefy "

They made a few with minor graphic changes I believe.

View attachment 97872

View attachment 97869 2013 ?
View attachment 97868 2014 ?
View attachment 97866 2015 & 2016 ?
View attachment 97867 2017- 2019 ?
I may be off on year models a bit, maybe @Philpug can clarify.

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Skier
I wish I could have been on the OG Bonafide - sounds like I would have liked it from everything I have read. I have the 2015/2016 First carbon tip and tail version. Fantastic ski. I have demo'd all versions since and none have felt as good to me as my carbon version. It is interesting to see that the OG ski would probably hold up in todays world but the need to constantly improve sometimes leaves some really good product designs behind. Not just in skis but across the board.
I was seriously thinking about getting these 15/16s, as my local London shop still has one. Great endorsement!

Kyle

Out on the slopes
Skier
I have both the original Bonafides and the current (not the updated TrueBlend woodcore version). I still ski them both. I love both skis but they do have a different feel. While I agree with the gist of the comments above on the differences I would suggest that suggesting that they are completely different skis could be interpreted as more than the differences I perceive at least. They feel like brothers to me--not twins but pretty similar.

Would like to get on the new ones as well but I am afraid it would just make me want to buy them.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I was seriously thinking about getting these 15/16s, as my local shop still has one. Great endorsement!
after buying the 2019 model & not liking them, I found two pair of the 2016's "like new" on the web's, I bought both pair so Im good for a couple seasons . I buy another if I could find em'

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I have both the original Bonafides and the current (not the updated TrueBlend woodcore version). I still ski them both. I love both skis but they do have a different feel. While I agree with the gist of the comments above on the differences I would suggest that suggesting that they are completely different skis could be interpreted as more than the differences I perceive at least. They feel like brothers to me--not twins but pretty similar.

Would like to get on the new ones as well but I am afraid it would just make me want to buy them.
maybe completely different is too strong, different enough for me to pass on the 2019 version

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I picked up a pristine pair of the original ones for $70 and tossed some Attack 13 demos on them. I figured I'd flip them after trying them out once or twice, but I'm not going to flip them, they ski fantastic for cheap and I'm not convinced that anything newer is going to be that much better without spending at least triple my $220 investment.

Yup. I have the 2013 model and it holds up remarkably well compared to skis seven years later. They're still in great shape because I only use them as a daily driver out west and the occasional dump day in the east. It's the only ski I bring to Jackson Hole. From laying trenches, bumps, trees, powder (up to 2 feet), to crud busting. Long, med, or short turns, these skis rock. I personally don't use them on east coast because I have narrower skis that just grip better for our icy conditions. Also, our terrain is smaller, trees are closer, and bumps are tighter and more icy. I do see plenty of people using them as daily drivers out east however.

1585243155899.png

AlpedHuez

Skier
after buying the 2019 model & not liking them, I found two pair of the 2016's "like new" on the web's, I bought both pair so Im good for a couple seasons . I buy another if I could find em'
The 2016s in my local shop are stealthily disguised in their online listing with the same graphic as the 2017s with the updated radius and graphic. Only the price is different. Hope it stays that way til I come around to snatch them up. I've been buying too many other skis lately to get them just now.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
I think we are talking the same ski 16/17 model.
Check the turn radius on the ski, the "new & improved" is smaller , & in my opinion, changed the feel.

Dougb

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I demo'ed last years Bonafides in Tahoe along with a buddy of mine. I felt like they were the woman I should marry: stable, reliable, and content. But I went with her sexy and fun -- albeit somewhat dangerous -- friend instead: J Skis Masterblasters.

My friend opted for the Bonafides and never looked back.

AlpedHuez

Skier
I think we are talking the same ski 16/17 model.
Check the turn radius on the ski, the "new & improved" is smaller , & in my opinion, changed the feel.
Yes, the orange one with the slanted carbon tips and tail, is the reduced radius one

Sponsor