• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

High Performance Driver Education

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 59910

2010 Cayman S. Picked it up in Virginia and drove it home to Massachusetts this past weekend. I think I’m gonna like this car on the track!
Pugski Approved! :pug:
There are few cars that I like in coupe form over convertibles, this is one of them. The rear haunches are gorgeous. Weill this be a track one car or will it be a driver too? If the former...you will need a hauler...and a trailer...and a....and a....;)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
I’d love a Cayman S, but there is no substitute for the top-down experience, whether on the PCH, in the mountains, or under the stars, so I’ll live with my humble Boxster S (which is still a lot of fun on the track).

46F8DF5A-D1FE-41F7-9D18-2DD88F4ED35F.jpeg

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
@Blue Streak: where do you track your Boxster? High Plains Raceway? PPIR?
PCA did a DE at the CSP track. They also do High Plains and a couple of others (including PPIR and LaJunta).
I am a rookie. I only ran the one at the CSP track, as well as a couple of autocross events.
The Porsche club events are great, because they don’t limit entry to the club marque only (unlike that snooty German car club).

TS
bbinder

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for the comments all! This one will be a street legal track car, so we can drive to the track and use the car otherwise as we see fit. The past two years, we have been using our 2009 911 convertible at these events. We (Marcia and me... well, mostly me..) decided that we want to keep the 911 as nice as possible. Plus, as I am getting (a little) faster, I want/need more safety equipment. I am working with the owner of a shop near me (KMC auto in Lawrence) who does a lot of prep work on HPDE cars and also builds race cars. The immediate plan is to put in a half cage, racing seats, harnesses, and HANS device. The car came with all season tires. I will either keep them and buy new/used wheels for the track tires or I may swap the tires in the spring. I will probably go with an ultra high performance summer tires so I can drive on the street as well as the track. I’ll update the brake pads when the current ones wear and for sure will put in a race level brake fluid I the spring. FWIW, we have been using stock pads on the 911 and went through a set of pads only after three events that were 3 days long, and had Marcia and me each driving the car.

I am totally not worried about the suspension or getting devoted track tires. The suspension checks out fine for now, and I am not good enough to worry about getting more grip with track tires. As time goes along, we will upgrade suspension, bushings, mounts, etc. Fortunately, we have 5 pretty good tracks within a 90 minute drive, so driving to and from the track is not a big deal - all we need is enough room in the car for our clothes for the weekend of the events (and a bottle of bourbon). We hope to never get to the point of wanting to trailer the car!

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid