• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

High Arch & Limited Doriflexion

MattP

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I was talking with the local shop owner About boots. He previously fit me and the service was pretty good. I have a really high arch and limited dorsiflexion in my ankle. He recommended a Full Tilt Pro Classic as a potential option. I didn’t have time to try one on but wanted to get the community’s thought on whether that’s a good option for my foot type?

thanks!!

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Fit issues aside, if I remember correctly, th Classic has a high ramp angle(good for your limited dorsiflexion) but a steep forward lean angle(bad for your limited dorsiflexion.)

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Any bootboard can be adapted in ramp angle. However as the heel gets elevated to compensate for limited range of ankle dorsiflexion, it also raises the instep. A boot that has less forward lean and stiffer flex is usually a better choice for limited ROM.

The Full Tilt Classic with a stiffer tongue might work, but I do not believe there is much adaptability for your high arch/instep. You could pad up your instep bump to give a bit more room when you heat mold the liner.

In my professional opinion, that is not the boot I would select for the description of your foot and ankle.

TS
M

MattP

Skier
Any bootboard can be adapted in ramp angle. However as the heel gets elevated to compensate for limited range of ankle dorsiflexion, it also raises the instep. A boot that has less forward lean and stiffer flex is usually a better choice for limited ROM.

The Full Tilt Classic with a stiffer tongue might work, but I do not believe there is much adaptability for your high arch/instep. You could pad up your instep bump to give a bit more room when you heat mold the liner.

In my professional opinion, that is not the boot I would select for the description of your foot and ankle.

Update... I went to another shop. Tried on several boots. Didn’t like the fit of the Lange (didn’t catch the model as it was an instant no). The Nordica speedmachine dig into my instep. I then tried on two sets of Technica. I really liked the fit of the Mach 1 MV but the 110 flex felt spongy. I am 6’2 and around 215. I am going back to try the 120 flex but am a bit concerned about the forward lean and ramp angle. It seems similar to the full tilt, but wanted some additional insight.

I should have written down my measurements but the last was 102 from memory.

I want to avoid exhausted quads. Do you think the Technica’s have too much forward lean. I don’t see that it is adjustable.

any recommendations as I keep exploring?

Thanks

Last edited:

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
A boot that has less forward lean and stiffer flex is usually a better choice for limited ROM. If we imagine that statement is true...

At your size and weight, with limited range of motion in your ankle joint, you should draw a hard line in your wallet and not leave the shop with any boot, brand or model that is below a 130 flex! There should be a few try-ons of the 140's as well.

If you want to change the effect of your boots on cooked quads, you need to get your fitter to quantify your ankle range of motion and adjust the boots heel height as you are trying them on! Secondly flex has to be 130 or above. And last find the boot that is the lowest forward lean with the highest contact on your shin. ( possibly adding a booster strap to pull the top front of the boot against your shin to give instant and quick power to the ski with the least amount of forward travel )

Keep exploring, your boot fitter is trying boots that they want to sell, not bringing out boot models that address your ROM, Foot shape, or Performance needs.

TS
M

MattP

Skier
Thanks for the consult Otto, I appreciate it.

I am thinking about calling the owner of the shop to talk about it. He has a good reputation.

I am also thinking of taking the morning of a trip out to Vail to get fit out there. I have a little reservation about not going out with anything and having to rent everything. My old skis will likely need to be remounted and my new skis are still I mounted though I have some bindings ready to go.

I wonder if they could mount the bindings after getting fit or would that take a day given it’s in ski season?

otto

Out on the slopes
Masterfit Bootfitter
Make an appointment with SkiBootFitting of Vail in Lionshead. Greg Hoffman will do you right.

vindibona1

Getting on the lift
Instructor
Fit issues aside, if I remember correctly, th Classic has a high ramp angle(good for your limited dorsiflexion) but a steep forward lean angle(bad for your limited dorsiflexion.)

With limited dorsiflexion (as I also have) high ramp angle is essential. Too much forward lean can often be mitigated. It's easy to get more upright with additional padding at the tongue, but that all depends on how much room you have at the back of the cuff. I'm not sure about the Full Tilt boots (I used to own Raichle Flexon Comps) but I think that making forward lean to be a bit more upright shouldn't be an impossibility if the angle is too great.

Sponsor

Staff online