• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hi from CT!

heatherrrrz

Booting up
Skier
Hey all, I'm a newbie skier as of last year. Took my first lesson at Loon where I started out with Snowboarding and then said screw this and they offered to let me try a skiing lesson which went 100% better than that snowboarding lesson. Took another lesson after that at my local mountain Powder Ridge in Southington, CT where me (27 at the time) and my 30 year old sister were lumped in a group lesson of never evers who were about 8-10 years old. After not getting any instruction, we talked to someone on the mountain who got us a free private lesson for the two of us which went way better.

My plan was to take another lesson at Stratton when me and bf went in March, but he forgot his gear thinking he wasn't going to board since he didn't feel well and it snowed the day we wanted to get on the mountain that it wasn't feasible for him to buy all new gear since we couldn't really make it to the mountain in his car as the roads weren't plowed.

So if you've read all that, I've only been on skis in snow about 3 times now and I'm still very new to skiing. My plan was to go on another skiing vacation for his birthday this year, but he got sick and is dealing with it at his mom's in Boston so he can get better care while I'm stuck here. I'll probably ask my sister to come skiing with me at a CT mountain when I'm not working at my second job so I can at least get better at skiing and maybe when he's better we can go up to Mount Snow or Okemo.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome! While we appreciate anyone sliding on snow and helping the industry on any kind of boards, I think the switch to skiing was the right choice. :D

If you're looking for New England info or advice, you might want to check out the seasonal Northeast thread, if you haven't found it yet:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-20-northeast.16288/

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Welcome. I have a feeling you will fit in well here. I miss the food of Bahston's North End.

TS
H

heatherrrrz

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! While we appreciate anyone sliding on snow and helping the industry on any kind of boards, I think the switch to skiing was the right choice. :D

If you're looking for New England info or advice, you might want to check out the seasonal Northeast thread, if you haven't found it yet:

https://www.pugski.com/threads/2019-20-northeast.16288/

I only tried snowboarding since my bf does it and I figured we could board together, but that was a terrible decision and I should have stuck to my gut with skiing lol

Thanks, I'll take a look!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Welcome from another CT'er. I boarded for years before switching to skiing. I still board once in a blue moon. Boarding is very challenging the first few times so I get the frustration.

I've been to powder ridge in the summer, they have quite a lovely bar. You should check out butternut in western mass sometime. It's a great place to work on turns. Also ski sundown in CT is fun too. I've never skied Mohawk.

We primarily ski magic snd bromley then killington in the spring.

Catch you on the hill sometime.

Glad you joined, you'll love it here.

Last edited:
TS
H

heatherrrrz

Booting up
Skier
Welcome from another CT'er. I boarded for years before switching to skiing. I still board once in a blue moon. Boarding is very challenging the first few times so I get the frustration.

I've been to powder ridge in the summer, they have quite a lovely bar. You should check out butternut in western mass sometime. It's a great place to work on turns. Also ski sundown in CT is fun too. I've never skied Mohawk.

We primarily ski magic snd bromley then killington in the spring.

Catch you on the hill sometime.

Glad you joined, you'll love it here.

Ski Sundown and Mohawk are on my options list for CT, also saw the Berkshire East has a lot of green trails and it's not too far of a drive for a day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Ski Sundown and Mohawk are on my options list for CT, also saw the Berkshire East has a lot of green trails and it's not too far of a drive for a day.

Sundown has quite a few greens I believe. None of the CT mountains are steep so that helps. Sundown also has a 4 hour pass and night skiing. Butternut is where I learned to ski. I can recommend instructors at the nut and sundown. I've heard good things about Berkshire east.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Welcome and hope you grow to like this place as much all of us do.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome.

Looks like you have been bitten by the ski bug. Trust me, it's a good thing.
No need to go to the larger hills further north. At your stage, any place close will do. They will be much cheaper and you can go more often.
Take lessons. Lots of lessons. Lessons is the easiest path to improvement.

Word of advice. Keep the sister. Ditch the boyfriend. :D

Have a great season.

TS
H

heatherrrrz

Booting up
Skier
Welcome.

Looks like you have been bitten by the ski bug. Trust me, it's a good thing.
No need to go to the larger hills further north. At your stage, any place close will do. They will be much cheaper and you can go more often.
Take lessons. Lots of lessons. Lessons is the easiest path to improvement.

Word of advice. Keep the sister. Ditch the boyfriend. :D

Have a great season.

Haha I like my boyfriend a hell of a lot more than my sister minus the snowboarding thing. He's going through some medical stuff right now, so I don't have a partner to head to a mountain with but I'm eyeing my friend's car who has a ski the east sticker on it. May ask her if she skis and then invite myself to go skiing with her sometime lol