• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hi from converted snowboarder!

Eric W

Booting up
Skier
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just switched over to skiing from snowboarding mainly due to us having a newborn and we want to get her on skis ASAP.

We have snowboarded all over N. America over the past 6 years and we reside in the Northeast. We get approx 15-20 days a year.

I enjoy tuning skis and snowboards at home and look forward to teaching our daughter skiing. We are always looking for ways to improve our skiing as this has been our first season.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Welcome. I'm a former snowboarder as well. Boarded for 8 years mostly out west. Been skiing for the past 10 years if you count my first 5 years on ski blades. I've taught a lot of little kids in the past 3 seasons. I've recently transitioned to teaching mostly teens and adults but nothing makes me happier than a little one's giggle as they are having fun sliding. Kids are so much fun!! Where do you normally ski in the northeast?

TS
Eric W

Eric W

Booting up
Skier
Welcome. I'm a former snowboarder as well. Boarded for 8 years mostly out west. Been skiing for the past 10 years if you count my first 5 years on ski blades. I've taught a lot of little kids in the past 3 seasons. I've recently transitioned to teaching mostly teens and adults but nothing makes me happier than a little one's giggle as they are having fun sliding. Kids are so much fun!! Where do you normally ski in the northeast?
If I can only get away for the day, Belleayre, Windham or Hunter in Catskills if NY, blue mountain in Pennsylvania or Mountain Creek in NJ

If we have time to do a multiday we go to VT.

Our weeklong trips out west will be postponed until our 18 month old daughter gets older.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Hi everyone,

My wife and I just switched over to skiing from snowboarding mainly due to us having a newborn and we want to get her on skis ASAP.

We have snowboarded all over N. America over the past 6 years and we reside in the Northeast. We get approx 15-20 days a year.

I enjoy tuning skis and snowboards at home and look forward to teaching our daughter skiing. We are always looking for ways to improve our skiing as this has been our first season.

Welcome home, Eric - Congrats on the newborn! My kids are older than yours, both ski with me, especially the boy. It's soooo much fun! Just a day trip with him and I'm in heaven. Mrs Mendieta didn't like the sport as we tried a few years back.

I believe snowboarding is a good preparation for skiing, and conversely. @Pumba is another board -> ski convert. She 's doing so well, I think part of it might be the balance and snow tactics, flexibility, things that are common to both. Some of the folks here do both sports.

I'm sure you guys will pick up quickly. Between the know-how in the Forums and a lesson here and there, you should be golden. I can't emphasize the lesson part, enough :) Actually, I took a lesson yesterday. Each time I take one, it's a leap forward for me. Still lots and lots to learn, a lot more than what I know.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Hi everyone,

:yeah:

:golfclap::golfclap::golfclap:

Pumba

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hey Eric, welcome! We have a couple things in common: I'm also a converted snowboarder. I started about 4 seasons ago. I'm also in NYC (Brooklyn), and I've just started tuning in my apartment (well, just waxing)!! Apartment tuning party anyone??

The NYC based members have started to meet-up a couple times a year - usually at Old Town bar above Union Square. You, your wife and baby should come! One of us will prob post about it later in the season.

This is the right place to be if you're interested in developing your skills. Everyone's enthusiasm and passion for the sport is very contagious. I would highly recommend trying to get to one of the yearly Gatherings. I attribute most of my improvement to trying to keep up with some of the hardcore skiers at those events.

Where in the city are you?

k