• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Hi from (Big Mountain) Toronto

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
Hi. I grew up in Montreal skiing at Tremblant (before Intrawest/Altera built it up) and various places in Vermont. Now, I live in Toronto and get to ski at Blue Mountain with... wait for it... almost 800 feet of vertical. Yup, you heard me right. ALMOST 800 feet! Jealous, aren't you?

Fortunately, I am heading back to Tremblant next week for a little real skiing for a week. It's been a while since I have skied out west, but I'm hoping to take my kids to Whistler for a week next winter.

Glad to have found this site. It's nice talking to people for who skiing does not imply a private club (yup, most hills around Toronto are private ski clubs).

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Welcome @MBF67. We are almost neighbors.
It is not the size of the hill, it's the size of the grin. Skied and worked on a number of "mountains" where 800 vertical would have sounded pretty good.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Toronto is a neighbor of the PNW? What kind of vehicle are you using?
Welcome @MBF67. We are almost neighbors.
It is not the size of the hill, it's the size of the grin. Skied and worked on a number of "mountains" where 800 vertical would have sounded pretty good.

I think the Big in the subject line should have said Blue.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Welcome @MBF67 . . We are neighbours, and was skiing at Blue on Sunday. And there is nothing wrong with skiing at the clubs. Great on a Wednesday. Better chance of getting your 25000ft in (the hard way)

TS
M

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
Welcome @MBF67 . . We are neighbours, and was skiing at Blue on Sunday. And there is nothing wrong with skiing at the clubs. Great on a Wednesday. Better chance of getting your 25000ft in (the hard way)
I’ve got nothing against the clubs. Just find the whole club mentality strange when talking skiing. Seems like more of a golf thing.

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi. I grew up in Montreal skiing at Tremblant (before Intrawest/Altera built it up) and various places in Vermont. Now, I live in Toronto and get to ski at Blue Mountain with... wait for it... almost 800 feet of vertical. Yup, you heard me right. ALMOST 800 feet! Jealous, aren't you?

Fortunately, I am heading back to Tremblant next week for a little real skiing for a week. It's been a while since I have skied out west, but I'm hoping to take my kids to Whistler for a week next winter.

Glad to have found this site. It's nice talking to people for who skiing does not imply a private club (yup, most hills around Toronto are private ski clubs).
Welcome! If you're looking for more opportunities to go skiing, I'd really recommend High Park Ski Club. They're great at making local skiing (MSLM, Blue, private clubs) fun, plus they have long bus trips and charters, along with a great ski school. Since it's a non-profit, so the costs are quite reasonable.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The realignment of the terrain park and open of the south side (yes...they finally opened it a few years ago after 30 years of we are opening soon) and the high speed 6’s have taken the load off the the better runs.

Alternatives that are cheap the year you turn 50 is Snow Valley in Barrie ski all you want seasons pass $5.00 (Canadian or like 3 in change ‘Mercian). While smaller, it is closer and you can get your miles in just by the nearly unlimited skiing and their tube hill is great.

TS
M

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
Welcome! If you're looking for more opportunities to go skiing, I'd really recommend High Park Ski Club. They're great at making local skiing (MSLM, Blue, private clubs) fun, plus they have long bus trips and charters, along with a great ski school. Since it's a non-profit, so the costs are quite reasonable.
Thanks, but I'm a passholder at Blue, so I stick to that mountain. Did the travelling bus thing as a kid in Montreal. It was great.

TS
M

MBF67

Booting up
Skier
The realignment of the terrain park and open of the south side (yes...they finally opened it a few years ago after 30 years of we are opening soon) and the high speed 6’s have taken the load off the the better runs.

Alternatives that are cheap the year you turn 50 is Snow Valley in Barrie ski all you want seasons pass $5.00 (Canadian or like 3 in change ‘Mercian). While smaller, it is closer and you can get your miles in just by the nearly unlimited skiing and their tube hill is great.

I agree. The lines are generally quite small at Blue (despite what others might think), though it does have its moments. Family Day weekend was just crazy busy!!

My kids took their first lessons at Snow Valley. It's great for beginners, but not very much challenging terrain. I would choose MSLM over Snow Valley if I was looking t stay closer to home.

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Thanks, but I'm a passholder at Blue, so I stick to that mountain. Did the travelling bus thing as a kid in Montreal. It was great.
I'm also a passholder and a club member. :) You're allowed to do both! It makes for rather affordable ski days, travelling with a fun group of people, and free lessons every day (which for most members is an opportunity to socialize and meet others).

Sponsor

Staff online