Hi from (Big Mountain) Toronto

Discussion in 'Booting Up: New Member Introduction' started by MBF67, Feb 27, 2018.

1. MBF67

MBF67 Booting up Skier

Hi. I grew up in Montreal skiing at Tremblant (before Intrawest/Altera built it up) and various places in Vermont. Now, I live in Toronto and get to ski at Blue Mountain with... wait for it... almost 800 feet of vertical. Yup, you heard me right. ALMOST 800 feet! Jealous, aren't you?

Fortunately, I am heading back to Tremblant next week for a little real skiing for a week. It's been a while since I have skied out west, but I'm hoping to take my kids to Whistler for a week next winter.

Glad to have found this site. It's nice talking to people for who skiing does not imply a private club (yup, most hills around Toronto are private ski clubs).

2. Bad Bob

Bad Bob old n' slow Skier

Welcome @MBF67. We are almost neighbors.
    It is not the size of the hill, it's the size of the grin. Skied and worked on a number of "mountains" where 800 vertical would have sounded pretty good.

3. Sibhusky

Sibhusky Out on the slopes Skier

Toronto is a neighbor of the PNW? What kind of vehicle are you using?
    I think the Big in the subject line should have said Blue.

oldschoolskier likes this.
  4. graham418

graham418 Out on the slopes Skier

Welcome @MBF67 . . We are neighbours, and was skiing at Blue on Sunday. And there is nothing wrong with skiing at the clubs. Great on a Wednesday. Better chance of getting your 25000ft in (the hard way)

5. Jilly

Jilly Lead Cougar Skier

Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
    No @Sibhusky , it's the biggest thing in Ontario.

Give me a shout, I'll be at Tremblant next few weekends...

6. MBF67

MBF67 Booting up Skier

I’ve got nothing against the clubs. Just find the whole club mentality strange when talking skiing. Seems like more of a golf thing.

7. DavidSkis

DavidSkis Thinking snow Skier

Welcome! If you're looking for more opportunities to go skiing, I'd really recommend High Park Ski Club. They're great at making local skiing (MSLM, Blue, private clubs) fun, plus they have long bus trips and charters, along with a great ski school. Since it's a non-profit, so the costs are quite reasonable.

8. albertanskigirl

albertanskigirl aka Sabrina Skier

Welcome from a fellow Canuck, and Alberta-transplant from Toronto!

9. oldschoolskier

oldschoolskier Out on the slopes Skier

The realignment of the terrain park and open of the south side (yes...they finally opened it a few years ago after 30 years of we are opening soon) and the high speed 6’s have taken the load off the the better runs.

Alternatives that are cheap the year you turn 50 is Snow Valley in Barrie ski all you want seasons pass $5.00 (Canadian or like 3 in change ‘Mercian). While smaller, it is closer and you can get your miles in just by the nearly unlimited skiing and their tube hill is great.

10. MBF67

MBF67 Booting up Skier

Thanks, but I'm a passholder at Blue, so I stick to that mountain. Did the travelling bus thing as a kid in Montreal. It was great.

11. MBF67

MBF67 Booting up Skier

I agree. The lines are generally quite small at Blue (despite what others might think), though it does have its moments. Family Day weekend was just crazy busy!!

My kids took their first lessons at Snow Valley. It's great for beginners, but not very much challenging terrain. I would choose MSLM over Snow Valley if I was looking t stay closer to home.

12. DavidSkis

DavidSkis Thinking snow Skier

I'm also a passholder and a club member. :) You're allowed to do both! It makes for rather affordable ski days, travelling with a fun group of people, and free lessons every day (which for most members is an opportunity to socialize and meet others).

13. PisteOff

PisteOff Jeff Skier

Welcome to PugSki!