• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Midwest Hey Michiganders - Mt Holly is opening today 11/9

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Get out there and get some!!
Screen Shot 2019-11-09 at 7.18.46 AM.png

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So is their sister resort, Pine Knob.
I do not know. I will find out.

I've never skied any of the places in Southern Michigan. Lots of laps on Caberfae and Crystal as well as trips to Nubs and Boyne.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
Pine Knob and Mt. Holly are owned by the person along with Bittersweet, Alpine Valley in Wisconsin and Searchmont in Canada near Sault Ste, Marie. I know that Pine Knob is open as I am enroute as we type. ogsmile

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Pine Knob and Mt. Holly are owned by the person along with Bittersweet, Alpine Valley in Wisconsin and Searchmont in Canada near Sault Ste, Marie. I know that Pine Knob is open as I am enroute as we type. ogsmile
ooops sorry.
I read your fist post as a question. Doh:doh:
Trials of reading on the phone.

Make sure you report back.

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
The weather was gorgeous. About 50% of the resort was open with 2 chairs and one rope running. They put several terrain park features on the beginner run to keep the teens happy. As you can see in the pic, the first groom was a little rough but overall the snow was quite good and held an edge really well. It felt really good to get back out there again.

20191109 PK.jpg

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
:doh: This was my first day off in forever and I just sat at home when I could have been at Holly. What a missed opportunity!

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The weather was gorgeous. About 50% of the resort was open with 2 chairs and one rope running. They put several terrain park features on the beginner run to keep the teens happy. As you can see in the pic, the first groom was a little rough but overall the snow was quite good and held an edge really well. It felt really good to get back out there again.

View attachment 84196
Thanks for posting pictures.
Crystal and Caberfae opened Friday the 15th with January-like conditions.
I don't remember the last time things in Michigan opened this early. Yet, in Tahoe....we wait. :popcorn:

My fellow Michiganders are getting the goods and it makes me smile. :golfclap:

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
:doh: This was my first day off in forever and I just sat at home when I could have been at Holly. What a missed opportunity!
Dude....really?
Doh!

HDSkiing

You’re Sliding On-Snow; Don’t Over-Think it!
Skier
Pine Knob!!! Woo hoo, that was one of my old stomping grounds along with race days at Mt. Brighton when I was a kid back in 1970-something...Mt. Holly as well.

Thanks for the pics and the trip down memory lane:).

sky_chicken

Putting on skis
Skier
Dude....really?
Doh!
Made it out to Holly on Wednesday evening... maybe will get out there tonight.

I keep trying to get my wife to try out Pine Knob, but the high speed quad at Holly repeatedly prevents her from agreeing.

Steve Martin

Booting up
Skier
I have been to both pine knob and mt holly this year. It seems as if pine knob makes more snow. Is this normal or just a coincidence?

Karl B

USSA L100
Skier
I have been to both pine knob and mt holly this year. It seems as if pine knob makes more snow. Is this normal or just a coincidence?
1. Mt Holly has more acreage to cover.
2. Pine Knob upgraded their pumps over the last two years
3. Pine Knob upgrade their water supply system this summer
Normally both resorts add 8-10 new snow cannons every year but this year they all went to supply Searchmont. With the cold weather for the next 10 days or so, I expect Mt. Holly will be fully operational.

Sponsor

Staff online